Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

I am more than prepared to modify Brighton Works to resemble a preserved Stepney. I have the transfers for the names already puchased. Just waiting on the loco.

I may even buy one of those 3D printed chimney caps from shapeways.

I can't remember the chap that made it but I know he's on here somewhere...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Why do some have the proper lamp irons such as "Brighton Works" and others not?

Simply due to the fact that the original LBSC taller bufferbeam mounted lamp irons for the middle positions were replaced on some locos later in life with the middle position irons mounted off sometimes the wing plates in A1 form, or later the smokebox door.

edited to additional information for clarity. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Simply due to the fact that the original LBSC taller bufferbeam mounted lamp irons for the middle positions were replaced on some locos later in life with the middle position irons mounted off the smokebox door.

Good Answer but the Special edition "Merton" and standard issue  "Leadenhall"

are both supposed to be original and "Brighton Works" is as was at the end of its BR life. 

• RMweb Gold

Well  Brighton may work but Hornby’s website ordering system doesn’t. 

Do they actually make more by avoiding my cc and pointing me towards PayPal ?  If they truly want my money...or for that matter,anyone else’s....I think someone there needs to create a spark by putting two brain cells together so that we have a truly joined up experience.

Great product.Chaotically dysfunctional in other respects,it seems.

Wake up.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bishdurham said:

Good Answer but the Special edition "Merton" and standard issue  "Leadenhall"

are both supposed to be original and "Brighton Works" is as was at the end of its BR life. 

Sorry I should have added that some A1s in LBSC days had their middle irons mounted on the smokebox wing plates and Hornby have incorporated these differences. 
The differences across the history of the class is a minefield. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, JhornG201 said:

Mine didn't last long before Brighton Works became Stepney

IMG_1838.jpeg

If this is Stepney as preserved, did you remove the Westinghouse Air Brake pump from the cab side as well? ;)

117BD778-DD80-48C4-8AF1-B93659AA3449.jpeg.8c3505a9beaa7e343b030ba806da6c73.jpegB244C1B8-B9C5-43B6-A7F8-687D92691900.jpeg.5a32dcd07cc6386a0a5d08aa806b1e5e.jpeg 

Also, with the number plate, this would be a later incarnation, as the number 55 was at first painted on like the duplicate series number 655 was under the LB&SCR...Until replica number plates were fitted...

E9F73213-E6C9-48F2-AA08-70461A08EDB8.jpeg.76e3a004b4296cb852948c45026523af.jpeg

Edited by Sarahagain
Added images
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

If this is Stepney as preserved, did you remove the Westinghouse Air Brake pump from the cab side as well? ;)

117BD778-DD80-48C4-8AF1-B93659AA3449.jpeg.8c3505a9beaa7e343b030ba806da6c73.jpegB244C1B8-B9C5-43B6-A7F8-687D92691900.jpeg.5a32dcd07cc6386a0a5d08aa806b1e5e.jpeg 

Also, with the number plate, this would be a later incarnation, as the number 55 was at first painted on like the duplicate series number 655 was under the LB&SCR...Until replica number plates were fitted...

E9F73213-E6C9-48F2-AA08-70461A08EDB8.jpeg.76e3a004b4296cb852948c45026523af.jpeg

It is my interpretation of Stepney as preserved with number plate on the cab side. I put Rule 1 into affect and left the pump on as it would need holes filled and paint colour matched all while not damaging the lining :laugh_mini:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently had to return a Hornby loco for the first time (after 40+ years of buying). This was a Leadenhall that has cab footsteps missing on one side. 

I recently received my Merton and note that the box image has these steps missing also, but the loco itself is ok. I had assumed the image was a computer render, but I now guess not. 

Has this been a common failing?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Type - despite reading it twice :-(

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2020 at 19:24, Ian Hargrave said:

Well  Brighton may work but Hornby’s website ordering system doesn’t. 

Do they actually make more by avoiding my cc and pointing me towards PayPal ?  If they truly want my money...or for that matter,anyone else’s....I think someone there needs to create a spark by putting two brain cells together so that we have a truly joined up experience.

Great product.Chaotically dysfunctional in other respects,it seems.

Wake up.

As a postscript,Brighton got the better of me.And yes in the end I used PayPal. If Hornby’s preferred method of payment is down that route then why on earth offer the alternative of standard cc or debit cards only to decline them at payment ? Something not quite right here and a questionable practice.Not illegal in any sense,I’m sure but it should simply not be happening in this manner.Please Sandwich apparatchik,sort this one out. If it’s PayPal only,then b****y we’ll say so and be done with it and stop punters getting a sense of unease when their perfectly credit worthy cards are declined . Not clever.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2020 at 09:05, Roy Langridge said:

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently had to return a Hornby loco for the first time (after 40+ years of buying). This was a Leadenhall that has cab footsteps missing on one side. 

I recently received my Merton and note that the box image has these steps missing also, but the loco itself is ok. I had assumed the image was a computer render, but I now guess not. 

Has this been a common failing?

Roy

Looks like a render to me. The engine shed blog recently describes how and why they create renders for new catalogue items with no physical model present at the time. These also get used for box artwork i think, the missing cab step might just be an error.

Edit: Just remembered when the model of the Adams Radial 30583 came out in late BR livery, the box artwork showed it had double slide bars on the cylinders. The prototype and model has single slide bars so easily could be an oversight when producing the images.

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
Additional detail
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

As a postscript,Brighton got the better of me.And yes in the end I used PayPal. If Hornby’s preferred method of payment is down that route then why on earth offer the alternative of standard cc or debit cards only to decline them at payment ? Something not quite right here and a questionable practice.Not illegal in any sense,I’m sure but it should simply not be happening in this manner.Please Sandwich apparatchik,sort this one out. If it’s PayPal only,then b****y we’ll say so and be done with it and stop punters getting a sense of unease when their perfectly credit worthy cards are declined . Not clever.

Just ordered Brighton Works, no issues with Credit Card for me

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Hornby website do take credit cards. Paypal is just another option.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Robert Scott said:

Hornby website do take credit cards. Paypal is just another option.

If you take a look at my posts (2) ,you will see that they did not accept mine.I had no other option than to follow the PayPal route to successful checkout both for club membership and the Terrier.Telling me that they do take cards is not exactly helpful,is it ,because in my case they don’t.

it is creditworthy btw.OK?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, translucent spokes. It rather lets the model down.

Really only apparent in photos - not an issue in normal layout running and viewing distances.  Beautiful runner too - now fitted a 6 pin Zimo with (relative!) ease. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Could be to do with your Paypal settings, I've noticed occasionally elsewhere Paypal wants to take control but so far I've managed to do what I need to

Please explain this.PayPal taking control ? This is ridiculous. Simply Hornby’s checkout declined my cc. Up to Planet Hornby to sort their own website.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Really only apparent in photos - not an issue in normal layout running and viewing distances.  Beautiful runner too - now fitted a 6 pin Zimo with (relative!) ease. 

Yes, beautiful runner and well detailed and decorated. That’s why I think it lets a lovely model down. Agreed that you need to get close but now that I know it’s there, it bugs me. If it doesn’t bother you, that’s fine.

10 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

Really? Just got mine in, spokes look fine

I’m glad you’re happy with it. In many respects, it’s a very fine model. Thanks to it being compared with the Rails/Dapol model, it has probably been more closely scrutinised than it otherwise would have been. It doesn’t show up on black wheels; the problem is with the pale colours.

• Agree 2