Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

11 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

My views on ‘issues’ that have to be looked hard for to find, is that they really aren’t an issue. 

My view is that once something is seen, it cannot be unseen. Once it is known, it cannot be unknown; unless I forget, that is. 

What happens then is a battle between my OCD and my lethargy, ably assisted by my mediocre modelling skills, to determine what, if anything, I do about it. I’d be surprised if I’m the only one. 

27 minutes ago, truffy said:

..... lethargy, ably assisted by my mediocre modelling skills .....

This is a general comment - certainly not aimed at you.

Anyone who finds fault with this model, and is not prepared to take a pot of paint and a brush and apply paint to the spokes and rims of six wheels, has no claim to be a railway modeller; IMHO.

John Isherwood.

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Anyone who finds fault with this model, and is not prepared to take a pot of paint and a brush and apply paint to the spokes and rims of six wheels, has no claim to be a railway modeller; IMHO.

I would agree with your post, if the voting buttons hadn't been removed.

In my case, it's a balance between how onerous a fault is and whether I can fix it without making matters worse.

For those wishing to fix 'translucent wheels', it would be a matter of sourcing colour-matched paint.

• Agree 1

Hardly noticeable IRL. It's something which shows up in photographs and probably looking at it in bright artificial light might not help.

A quick wash of heavily thinned paint would soon get rid of it, if it is an issue. No need to colour match, a bit of track colour, grime or similar would work.

How clean were the wheels on the works shunter? Cleanish. But certainly had an oily sheen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/5783848788

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just received my Brighton Works and it is a real beauty. Compared to my Rails LBSCR Terrier, easily equal in quality and enough detailed differences to add interest. I'm so glad I bought both. Trouble is my old Terriers now look crap. Such is progress.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2020 at 18:15, Ian Hargrave said:

Please explain this.PayPal taking control ? This is ridiculous. Simply Hornby’s checkout declined my cc. Up to Planet Hornby to sort their own website.

Well Planet Hornby,aided and abetted by PayPal,in fact did just that and this exquisite little jewel arrived this morning.Despite the above hiccups again the quality shines through even to ( and despite the fact I cannot see ) the porky pink wheels to which due reference is made by the eagle eyed of this forum. Superlatives are insufficient .Bravo.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, flockandroll said:

Probably not a question that can be answered

Of course it can...by Hornby.

Try contacting them with a question or suggestion. But, given that Rails have already released one, they might not consider it to be much of a commercial prospect.

Dunno though, stranger things have happened. A man who can't string together a coherent thought in No. 10, for starters.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, truffy said:

Of course it can...by Hornby.

Try contacting them with a question or suggestion. But, given that Rails have already released one, they might not consider it to be much of a commercial prospect.

Dunno though, stranger things have happened. A man who can't string together a coherent thought in No. 10, for starters.

That would probably drive Rails over the edge considering previous history lol.

Seriously though, why not ask the question. Hornby can always say no.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Very high I would imagine.

Hopefully they will get their one right. The GWR ones didn't have the lamp iron spikes....

Jason

Ah, I assume that mean that the Rails one is incorrect then?

Roy

9 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Ah, I assume that mean that the Rails one is incorrect then?

Roy

I don't know anything else about the Rails version. I stopped paying attention a long time ago.

But the photographs I saw the other day the Rails GWR one has the long LBSC lamp/disc irons. The GWR ones had normal GWR lamp irons.

Can't find a decent photo of number 6 but here is 5.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p196062882/e35a2a6f0

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't know anything else about the Rails version. I stopped paying attention a long time ago.

But the photographs I saw the other day the Rails GWR one has the long LBSC lamp/disc irons. The GWR ones had normal GWR lamp irons.

Can't find a decent photo of number 6 but here is 5.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p196062882/e35a2a6f0

Jason

That image was taken in 1952 when GWR shirtbutton logos ...which the Rails version uses .....were long gone.I think we need a bit more evidence that there’s an error in Rails model. Obviously the passage of time will have meant certain cosmetic changes to bring the locomotive into line with GWR practice but when ?  This image is over a decade later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That image was taken in 1952 when GWR shirtbutton logos ...which the Rails version uses .....were long gone.I think we need a bit more evidence that there’s an error in Rails model. Obviously the passage of time will have meant certain cosmetic changes to bring the locomotive into line with GWR practice but when ?  This image is over a decade later.

That's the only photo I could find online which was linkable. Plenty in books.

But the point still stands. They never had them in GWR livery. The GWR only acquired the locomotives in 1940 and went to Swindon for rebuilding when they got GWR livery. Completed by 1942. Number 6 was withdrawn in 1948.

Info from RCTS Vol10 where there is two photographs one WC&P with the spikes, the other undated in GWR livery without them.

Also this thread there is no spikes and one photo is dated 1940.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123801-air-brake-tanks-on-a1x-terrier-locos/

Last locomotive with a shirt button was 1961.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Rails GWR Terrier is available now, whereas none announced from Hornby which probably means none until next year at the earliest. 

the GWR Terriers intrigue me in that they appear to have kept their GWR numbers post nationalisation whereas all the others BR inherited seem to have managed to get their 326xx numbers. Did the surviving GWR Terrier ever get any semblance of BR livery? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

The Rails GWR Terrier is available now, whereas none announced from Hornby which probably means none until next year at the earliest. 

the GWR Terriers intrigue me in that they appear to have kept their GWR numbers post nationalisation whereas all the others BR inherited seem to have managed to get their 326xx numbers. Did the surviving GWR Terrier ever get any semblance of BR livery? 

Unlikely, according to this link..

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/a1x_04.html

Theres a picture of it shunting in 1950 here, at Taunton.

https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/OtherRailways/Terrier.html

but consensus seems to be it was stored from 1951 until withdrawn in 1954.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

the GWR Terriers intrigue me in that they appear to have kept their GWR numbers post nationalisation whereas all the others BR inherited seem to have managed to get their 326xx numbers.

As a general rule GWR locos did keep their numbers; the rest had a digit stuck in front.

• Round of applause 1

The terriers inherited by BR from former independent railways, like The Kent and East Sussex Railway, were, it seems, allocated numbers in the SR block, 3xxxx.

So, possibly if they had survived longer, maybe the GWR owned examples may also have been repatriated?

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NCB said:

As a general rule GWR locos did keep their numbers; the rest had a digit stuck in front.

As a rule GWR locos had cast numberplates and it would have been a bit of a faff to recast them with a regional prefix number. Why they didn't just whip the cast plates off the loco and paint new numbers on, selling the plates for scrap/collectors, I don't know!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2020 at 09:53, Hroth said:

As a rule GWR locos had cast numberplates and it would have been a bit of a faff to recast them with a regional prefix number. Why they didn't just whip the cast plates off the loco and paint new numbers on, selling the plates for scrap/collectors, I don't know!

Because behind the plate was rust.

Water & dirt captures behind the plate and corrodes both the cab side sheeting behind the plate, and the rear of the plate itself.

Removing the plate and putting numbers would have be unsightly, leaving corroded rectangles, pitted by trapped vibrating dirt damaging  cab side sheeting, which even if painted over, still shows through,  same applied to class 52 Westerns.

looking for corrosion on the rear of plates is one of the tests of authenticity for railwayana, that and vibration wear, removal scarring around the bolts.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4