Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

6 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

From this post it is clear that Hornby have fixed the recess issue in the Terrier :D, very good.

I would like to buy a DCC Ready Terrier with the recess but it isn't at all clear from Hornby or retailer's websites which of the Terriers they have in stock has the recess and which ones don't. I'd be grateful for advice.

Cheers

EDIT : In particular i'd like to know about this one!

All of the ones that were released this year have the updated Tanks and chassis guard irons. The LSWR terrier is one of those. 

All the ones listed as out of stock (not preorders) on this page were the 1st release and didn't have the tank recess https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class/a1x-terrier.html

• Thanks 1

Terriers 32460, Freshwater, Ventnor and Carisbrooke together with an Alum Bay sand wagon, a ferry and some coaches and buses could form the basis of a dockside scene with a bus depot in the Isle of Wight.

I like the terrier locomotives.  I first saw one on the Hayling Island branch crossing the harbour over the bridge and was later hauled by them on the Bluebell Railway and the Isle of Wight steam railway.  One even visited the Swanage Railway.

P1000032.JPG

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

your lucky, i ordered mine in the rails advent, still not arrived (i spoke to them on Tuesday and by the tracking number they gave me RM had not received it then. RM got it on Wednesday so should be here today. not the best service from Rails which is unusual for them.

Wanting this little terrier to trundle up and down my Christmas themed line of track sitting on the lounge window ledge, pulling this years Hornby Christmas wagons. i bought a blocksignal ss1 shuttle unit, works nicely, might do a little video and post it. 

Got Cowes as well and i agree, stunning little loco's, got both in sales, so less than £70 each, bargain if you ask me

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

your lucky, i ordered mine in the rails advent, still not arrived (i spoke to them on Tuesday and by the tracking number they gave me RM had not received it then. RM got it on Wednesday so should be here today. not the best service from Rails which is unusual for them.

Wanting this little terrier to trundle up and down my Christmas themed line of track sitting on the lounge window ledge, pulling this years Hornby Christmas wagons. i bought a blocksignal ss1 shuttle unit, works nicely, might do a little video and post it. 

Got Cowes as well and i agree, stunning little loco's, got both in sales, so less than £70 each, bargain if you ask me

Just got mine earlier so they're due. Wasn't one that I originally considered, but a bargain's a bargain!

I think that's all the Terriers for now as I've already got a couple of the older versions with Comet chassis to finish which will be BR condition. Started a very long time ago.

So four's enough, unless they do a GWR version.....

Jason

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just got mine earlier so they're due. Wasn't one that I originally considered, but a bargain's a bargain!

I think that's all the Terriers for now as I've already got a couple of the older versions with Comet chassis to finish which will be BR condition. Started a very long time ago.

So four's enough, unless they do a GWR version.....

Jason

no sooner had a posted i got a knock at the door, postie with something resembling a train box.

soon put on my end to end, lovely loco, great runner...very happy.

and here is hoping a GWR turns up in 2021 from Hornby

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ManofKent said:

I don't know if it ever worked the EKLR under BR, but it wouldn't look out of place.

No Terriers worked over the East Kent Light Railway at all I’m afraid, let alone in BR days. 

• Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Islesy said:

No Terriers worked over the East Kent Light Railway at all I’m afraid, let alone in BR days. 

Thanks - I could have sworn I saw a photo of one in amongst the photos of O1's but I can't find it. I'm probably mis-remembering or thinking of a photo from another line. 

6 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Rails Advent deal today is the BR Black that ran on both Hayling Island and the KESR under BR. Two more wheels than I normally go for :D but couldn't resist. I don't know if it ever worked the EKLR under BR, but it wouldn't look out of place.

The only locos that worked the former EKR in BR days (steam wise) were O1s. The annoying thing I have about this Rails offer is that I'm still waiting for the Rails version of the same loco!

• Like 1

Just now, JSpencer said:

The only locos that worked the former EKR in BR days (steam wise) were O1s. The annoying thing I have about this Rails offer is that I'm still waiting for the Rails version of the same loco!

I'd like a nice O1 at some point - It would be useful if I ever model the Faversham Quay branch. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2020 at 16:07, melmerby said:

I have finally jumped in and bought a Terrier

I like small tank engines and have more than I have tender engines.

Went for R3783 (Olive SR) for 71.99 from TMC even with an incorrect tank top.

Just arrived and at the time promised.

Unfortunately hasn't fared well in the journey with three buffers off and some steps adrift in the clear packaging.

Don't think I will go any further, looks like it will go back for replacement, just in case there is internal damage.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Just arrived and at the time promised.

Unfortunately hasn't fared well in the journey with three buffers off and some steps adrift in the clear packaging.

Don't think I will go any further, looks like it will go back for replacement, just in case there is internal damage.

Been in touch with TMC, got a very quick reply.

They have e-mailed me a returns label and will send a replacement once it arrives back.

Good service from them

• Like 2

Although I have not got either of the new ones every time I look at old one it does look as stated earlier in the thread a caricature of a Terrier than a Terrier properly. Have been wondering what to do with it, a cab roof change and some boiler fitting alterations could result in resemblance of an Industrial loco bit like the MSC ones while I have noted you can get J67-J69 bodies to fit the chassis which unfortunately do not fit my layout periods - if the preserved J69 had ever ran in preservation then it would have been a possibility . 

8 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Does anyone know if they plan to make a Black Fenchurch as she was preserved? 

Would love this. Especially as I presume the mix of A1 and a1x elements on Fenchurch as she is today (A1x boiler, A1 smokebox etc) might be beyond the mix of tooling available.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Would love this.

You and me both - me, for very sentimental reasons. 

I have family connections to Fenchurch going back to Edwardian times - my grandmother, whose father was blacksmith and farrier at Newhaven Marine, used to blag rides on Fenchurch on the East and West Quay branches when she was a girl and loved it, as did most residents of Newhaven at that time - it was 'their engine'.  Fast forward 60-70 years to the early 1970s and our family visit to the Blubell Railway, she was so overjoyed to see Fenchurch again (at that time in black Newhaven Harbour Company livery) after all that time, she gave it a big hug.  She'd been totally unaware Fenchurch still existed and the rest of the family had been similarly unaware of her childhood connections to it.

Pete T.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, PJT said:

You and me both - me, for very sentimental reasons. 

I have family connections to Fenchurch going back to Edwardian times - my grandmother, whose father was blacksmith and farrier at Newhaven Marine, used to blag rides on Fenchurch on the East and West Quay branches when she was a girl and loved it, as did most residents of Newhaven at that time - it was 'their engine'.  Fast forward 60-70 years to the early 1970s and our family visit to the Blubell Railway, she was so overjoyed to see Fenchurch again (at that time in black Newhaven Harbour Company livery) after all that time, she gave it a big hug.  She'd been totally unaware Fenchurch still existed and the rest of the family had been similarly unaware of her childhood connections to it.

Pete T.

What an incredable story.

Does the Bluebell Archive/Museum know about this? Do you have any pictures from your visit in the 1970s? There have been a couple of pieces in  ( I think) the 'Bluebell Times' (COVID) publication about long-term connections to Bluebell locos!

I would certainly buy a double-pack of Fenchurch and Stepney in their 1970s/1980s condition, as per this picture (how I remember both these locos in my early visits to the Bluebell!):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50576141@N03/8347369684/in/photolist-5Aeyyz-QZ3tEk-Rro4Ha-dHCsbY-9gTgd7-dw1Aka-dw1AmH

A double headed terrier combo will give sufficient power for a full length heritage railway 6 coach train!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2020 at 13:04, jonnyuk said:

My better half ordered the Rails one for a present for me. From the RM tracking details, the parcels spent a long time (nearly a week) stuck at the South Yorkshire mail centre un Sheffield. Once it had got through though, it came really quickly. I dont think you can blame Rails too much for that. 

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

What an incredable story.

Does the Bluebell Archive/Museum know about this? Do you have any pictures from your visit in the 1970s?

No, we've never talked to the Bluebell Museum about it - but since you mention it I'm sure we probably should, because it'd be a lovely little anecdote for them - though it was discussed at length very enthusiastically with the platform staff at Sheffield Park on the day.  None of us had cameras that day, either (whereas today of course pretty well all of us would have had a camera phone each and would have captured the moment in still picture, video and sound from every angle; how times change!).  Newhaven Museum know all about it though, through a much more recent visit there.

Great double head photo, by the way - just how I remember Stepney and Fenchurch (and the observation carriage too) in my youth.  Fenchurch had her name on one side and 'Newhaven Harbour Company' on the other, as I recall.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Added photo comment.

2 hours ago, PJT said:

No, we've never talked to the Bluebell Museum about it - but since you mention it I'm sure we probably should, because it'd be a lovely little anecdote for them - though it was discussed at length very enthusiastically with the platform staff at Sheffield Park on the day.  None of us had cameras that day, either (whereas today of course pretty well all of us would have had a camera phone each and would have captured the moment in still picture, video and sound from every angle; how times change!).  Newhaven Museum know all about it though, through a much more recent visit there.

Great double head photo, by the way - just how I remember Stepney and Fenchurch (and the observation carriage too) in my youth.  Fenchurch had her name on one side and 'Newhaven Harbour Company' on the other, as I recall.

Pete T.

Not my photo, just an illustrative example I found on flickr!

Not sure how a 50/50 model of Newhaven Harbour Company and Fenchurch would sell... but I guess Hornby did it with the NRM class 87!!!

• Like 1

On 29/08/2020 at 18:11, MikeParkin65 said:

Really only apparent in photos - not an issue in normal layout running and viewing distances.  Beautiful runner too - now fitted a 6 pin Zimo with (relative!) ease. 

Does this have stay-alive?  Which decoder did you use please, and how easy is it to fit?