Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Does this have stay-alive?  Which decoder did you use please, and how easy is it to fit?

Pretty sure its an MX617 direct 6 pin. No stay alive but my layout is all live frogs so not needed. If something stops I take that as a cue to clean the track! My experience of DCC is that track has to be really dirty to cause a problem - best thing to keep track clean is regular running. I do have a wheel and pickup cleaning routine for loco’s though. 

Doddle to fit, just watch you don’t scratch the paint levering the coupling pockets out and watch the guard irons don’t get caught in the brake rodding when you refit they body.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My replacement Hornby Terrier from TMC has arrived back.

I must say it's one of the smoothest running locos I have found.

After a few minutes running in I was able to get it to run on just 1.5v pure DC, which must be the lowest of any loco I have had.

It still had a fair turn of speed at 12v.

Just got to fit a decoder now, it'll be a Lenz Silver Mini +.

Not sure how to do it, I have both direct and loose wire versions but the socket is backwards from what I can see in the instructions

I could use a wire in one (currently devoid of wires) with a plug or bend the pins on the plug and also on the pin fitted decoder and solder them together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

How accurate will R30005 K&ESR 3 'Bodiam'  to the loco as running c 2010 ?

Going by the images online, it's representing her in original A1 condition, whereas she's preserved in A1X condition, as rebuilt in 1943. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Going by the images online, it's representing her in original A1 condition, whereas she's preserved in A1X condition, as rebuilt in 1943. 

So, in direct competition to the Rails/Dapol version. Who’d have thought it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2021 at 23:47, melmerby said:

My replacement Hornby Terrier from TMC has arrived back.

I must say it's one of the smoothest running locos I have found.

After a few minutes running in I was able to get it to run on just 1.5v pure DC, which must be the lowest of any loco I have had.

It still had a fair turn of speed at 12v.

Just got to fit a decoder now, it'll be a Lenz Silver Mini +.

Not sure how to do it, I have both direct and loose wire versions but the socket is backwards from what I can see in the instructions

I could use a wire in one (currently devoid of wires) with a plug or bend the pins on the plug and also on the pin fitted decoder and solder them together.

Jenny K has done a video - on the Collector's Edition Brighton Works model? - or maybe on LaisDCC decoders? - in which she looks at DCC chip fitting on Hornby's Terrier.  Space is very tight.  Mel_H posted 29 Dec and used a 6-pin Zimo.  Be sure to compare the dimensions of your Lenz chip and if in doubt follow in Mel_H's footsteps!  Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a list of suitable decoders for the Hornby Terrier - maybe even Hornby themselves..

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2021 at 10:35, Tony Burgess said:

Jenny K has done a video - on the Collector's Edition Brighton Works model? - or maybe on LaisDCC decoders? - in which she looks at DCC chip fitting on Hornby's Terrier.  Space is very tight.  Mel_H posted 29 Dec and used a 6-pin Zimo.  Be sure to compare the dimensions of your Lenz chip and if in doubt follow in Mel_H's footsteps!  Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a list of suitable decoders for the Hornby Terrier - maybe even Hornby themselves..

Well, this is the posted reason why the Hornby also sell the terriers as DCC fitted. So I'd suspect if they sold a small enough adaptor themselves I would suspect it would be dearer to buy them separately than just using a pre-fitted one...

Now a DCC sound pre-fitted Hornby terrier.. that'd get my wallet moving.. But there's no way I'd try to squeeze something in myself.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2021 at 10:35, Tony Burgess said:

I suggested a way of doing an adaptor waaaaay back in this thread, which is what I have done. works perfectly with my Lenz Silver +

• RMweb Gold

Just over 18 months ago I fitted my two A1x engines with Zimo MX617F decoders (6 pin NEM651 plug with wires) which run very smooth, especially slow running. Use a small strip of insulation tape to secure wires when refitting body.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just found a copy of Steam Railway, Jan 2020...

proudly claims 7 terriers in steam for 2022 for the 150th anniversary of the class...  

yes 150 years... Fenchurch at the Bluebell according to Wiki dates to Sept 9th 1872.

A lot changed in the last 12 months, I wonder if they will still achieve it.

On 06/02/2021 at 05:29, Jack P said:

Has anyone fit a 6 pin Gaugemaster Ruby Chip to one of these terriers, or know if one will fit? It measures 11 x 10 x 3 (mm).

I've got my Terrier open at the mo as I'm fitting driver & Fireman.  These photos with dimensions should help you.  There is no room forward of the Hornby Blanking Plug but some room above it and the socket..

Terrier DCC 1.JPG

Terrier DCC 2.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Tony Burgess said:

I've got my Terrier open at the mo as I'm fitting driver & Fireman.  These photos with dimensions should help you.  There is no room forward of the Hornby Blanking Plug but some room above it and the socket..

Thanks for this Tony, my Terrier actually arrived yesterday. Now waiting for the chip, we shall see if it fits!

I took the opportunity to take the chassis apart to see how things all went together. While the wheels were out and the coupling rods off, I painted the sides of the pickup plate (not a perfect colour match, but close. I also painted the wheel rims green.

50946460428_af4584ddfa_h.jpg

She is a gorgeous little engine, and when finished will really break up the monotony of black and green.

50947260907_cd6b77c286_h.jpg

• Like 11

Some photos of our Hornby DCC ready Terrier, fitted with the Hornby 6-pin decoder with wired plug....as specified by Hornby...

Black Insulating tape attached to the chassis under the decoder...

With blanking plug in place.

Photo0102-2.jpg

Side view with Hornby Decoder fitted.

Photo0104-2.jpg

Top view...

Photo0105-2.jpg

Front view...

Photo0106-2.jpg

Other side view...

Photo0107-2.jpg

Also see link in post below for more details...:)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The body taken apart to access the cab detail to paint parts, and fit the crew..l

Photo0025-2.jpg

Photo0027-2.jpg

Have I understood from these photos that you cut off the plate beneath the Firebox hole?  Presumably to facilitate fitting the crew.

(BTW there's a recently started thread specifically about fitting crew to this loco)

More details, etc. here. :)

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Jack P said:

Thanks for this Tony, my Terrier actually arrived yesterday. Now waiting for the chip, we shall see if it fits!

She is a gorgeous little engine, and when finished will really break up the monotony of black and green.

50947260907_cd6b77c286_h.jpg

What a lovely piture. You have certainly subtlely enhanced the model. Might need to paint the screw coupling black.

Would love Stepney to be produced to this quality in this livery....

This shot shows how the Hornby terrier really captures the character of the class, in my opinion better than the rails terrier. Yes the details may be a little coarser in places, but it all hangs together better. I can't quite put my finger on why....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for that Ruff.

Now we can see how it all goes together. It still looks a bit difficult to get at the back head to paint up the details, but the other fittings can be detailed.

I don't think I will pull mine apart. Once you put a crew in there it will probably hide most of it anyway.

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1