Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What a lovely piture. You have certainly subtlely enhanced the model. Might need to paint the screw coupling black.

Would love Stepney to be produced to this quality in this livery....

This shot shows how the Hornby terrier really captures the character of the class, in my opinion better than the rails terrier. Yes the details may be a little coarser in places, but it all hangs together better. I can't quite put my finger on why....

Thank you! The screw coupling was chemically blackened after that, it was just in place as a test fit.

The only glaring fault I can find with the Hornby terrier is the join line where the body shell meets the lower half of the boiler, it's not the end of the world, but it certainly does stick out. I really would've liked sprung buffers, but given the odd location, I can understand why they weren't.

I'm really smitten with this little loco, and looking forward to getting it finished off and into the fleet. I can see why people end up with multiple iterations of these!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Tony Burgess said:

Have I understood from these photos that you cut off the plate beneath the Firebox hole?  Presumably to facilitate fitting the crew.

(BTW there's a recently started thread specifically about fitting crew to this loco)

Hi Tony.

No, I am pretty sure that I didn’t cut off any parts.

This is more clear in the linked posting, which explains more about how I took the loco body of the chassis, and apart...

It was I think a totally non destructive process...in 2019... :)

The new thread that Tony mentioned...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added link to new thread...

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

What did you use to blacken it ?

I use this to blacken brass and steel (though mild steel tends to go rusty a few days later):

I have not tried but guess it will work on nickel etchings too. It does not work on aluminium (doubtless due to the first layer being an oxide).

blackening.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Thanks 1

I noticed a problem with the chassis on my Terrier and have just contacted Hornby again about getting it put right (having not had a reply the first time sent 2 days ago).

The photo shows it all.  A gear train side plate is not correctly secured - and can be seen to be misaligned - due I hope to a screw of incorrect length having been used.  Yes, the side plate was loose enough to be easily pushed back into the chassis, which probably means that it could come right out when running and cause damage.

I am asking Hornby to mail me a replacement screw of correct type in the hope that rectifies the problem.  Meantime re-assembly is on hold.

You might want to check your own model is OK in this respect, as it may have been more than just a one-off problem.

Terrior Gear Cover Bolt DSC_0212.JPG

• Like 1

On 17/02/2021 at 21:24, adb968008 said:

What did you use to blacken it ?

I use Birchwood Casey (because it's easier to get in NZ than Carrs). I have Brass specific, and something called 'Super Blue' which also darkens the solder.

On 18/02/2021 at 01:43, Ighten said:

Could I ask whose couplings your using

4 hours ago, truffy said:

Hi there.

In another thread, @Jack P stated that he was using Roxey Mouldings' screw links on Bachmann birdcage carriages. That might be these ones, although the Terrier photo suggests brass.

Truffy is close :) I used to use Roxey couplings exclusively, On the terrier I used the Roxey hooks laminated together, and use Masokits Links. Which will be my standard going forward.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 19/02/2021 at 11:58, melmerby said:

Is it possible that there is debris in the screw hole stopping it fully tightening?

An alternative is the hole hasn't been fully tapped.

I'm asking Hornby to send a screw of correct length first - before removing the present one.  I'm certainly hoping that's the problem and not incorrect tapping of the hole which would require returning the chassis to Hornby..

Having no acknowledgment or reply to my contact with them about this assembly error, I'm about to try phoning them.  I want to get this resolved asap!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Burgess said:

I'm asking Hornby to send a screw of correct length first - before removing the present one.  I'm certainly hoping that's the problem and not incorrect tapping of the hole which would require returning the chassis to Hornby..

Having no acknowledgment or reply to my contact with them about this assembly error, I'm about to try phoning them.  I want to get this resolved asap!

Hi Tony, 

From my own experience of dealing with Hornby spares department during the lockdown period, it can take time as their working practices are compromised at present. 

Someone will get back to you, I'm sure. They were excellent in resolving my query, going just that little extra. 

As an aside, would you not be better off simply returning the model to the retailer for exchange? 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

On 24/01/2021 at 16:26, Paul.Uni said:

According to the Hornby Website the release dates are as follows:

• R30005 K&ESR 3 'Bodiam' - Summer 2021
  • R30006 BR 32646 - Summer 2021
  • R30008 BR 32640 - Summer 2021
  • R3960 GWR 5 'Portishead' & carriages - Autumn 2021

The Hornby coming soon page shows the locos as arriving in August (apart from the DCC fitted 'Bodiam' which isn't listed) and the train pack in October.

• 1 month later...

As @Jack P pointed out to me when discussing what Terrier would fit our time frame post-war, he brought up my Hornby R2783 2662 is not right after doing some research himself. My smokebox doesn't have any rivets....... But looking at images from every retailer, the Hornby model of 2662 should have rivets, along with the actual locomotive as seen in a 1937 and 1947 picture. 

I purchased this model on Rails ebay (not realizing this model is not correct). In the same order, I purchased the Terrier book. Silly me for ordering a Terrier before researching. Over 90 days, so I cannot pull up the listing picture. I would assume this is a factory error?

If I remove the condensing pipes, fill them, and paint the whole thing black, would be a perfect donor for 2662 post-war. But not if my Hornby 2662 doesn't have rivets. 

Any suggestions where to go from here? Contact Hornby? Take the loss and buy a new one? Convert this one in preserved Bluebell black Stepney?

2662.jpg

11 hours ago, Ribird said:

Any suggestions where to go from here? Contact Hornby? Take the loss and buy a new one? Convert this one in preserved Bluebell black Stepney?

Or you could apply rivet decals and then overpaint them. 

@cctransuk’s reply, two below, gives the link. 

Edited by truffy
Update to emphasise John’s more complete response

10 hours ago, Ribird said:

As @Jack P pointed out to me when discussing what Terrier would fit our time frame post-war, he brought up my Hornby R2783 2662 is not right after doing some research himself. My smokebox doesn't have any rivets....... But looking at images from every retailer, the Hornby model of 2662 should have rivets, along with the actual locomotive as seen in a 1937 and 1947 picture. 

I purchased this model on Rails ebay (not realizing this model is not correct). In the same order, I purchased the Terrier book. Silly me for ordering a Terrier before researching. Over 90 days, so I cannot pull up the listing picture. I would assume this is a factory error?

If I remove the condensing pipes, fill them, and paint the whole thing black, would be a perfect donor for 2662 post-war. But not if my Hornby 2662 doesn't have rivets. 

2662.jpg

Buy a Rails Terrier; they bothered to tool for both rivetted and flush smolebox wrappers.

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And clearly displays it's pedigree over the Hornby model who completely missed the smoleboxes on their Terriers :D

Hornby's 2662 does seem to be missing a vacuum ejector pipe, however.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ribird said:

2662.jpg

You ought to raise it with the retailer in this instance - photos of other examples of Hornby R3782 show the rivets, so it is presumably an assembly error with this particular model. However if it was over 90 days ago it may be too late for a return/replacement? (in which case rivet transfers will be the way to go)

• Agree 1

@truffy and @cctransuk what size rivets would I need to get? Painting isn't the problem, going to be wartime black anyway.

@Edwardian @woodenhead or not? Not risking the motor issues with Dapols. Hornby has tooled for both riveted smokeboxes and flush. This was a factory issue as I pointed out. Air/vacuum pipes are easy secondary add on. Plus I've already seen the correct version of the Hornby 2662 model on ebay for £69.50.

@Nick C sadly this was with Rails through their ebay listings. And way over 90 days, bought it last July. Rivets transfers are the way to go, just need to know which ones to get haha!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Motor issues?

As you clearly care about the accuracy of a reasonable level of detail, you might want to source, or make up with wire, the vacuum exhaust pipe not included with your Hornby model.

Yes motor issues. The first batches of the Dapol Terriers were loud runners, didn't work, or wobbly. For level of detail, the big gap on cab roof is a big turn off. 

That's what I plan on doing for the pipes, something quick and easy Or if anything, use an extra pipe from a detailing pack of another steam loco.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Yes motor issues. The first batches of the Dapol Terriers were loud runners, didn't work, or wobbly. For level of detail, the big gap on cab roof is a big turn off. 

That's what I plan on doing for the pipes, something quick and easy Or if anything, use an extra pipe from a detailing pack of another steam loco.

Really?  I don't recall that being a widespread issue.  I recall a couple with issues, though I also recall they were replaced with good runners.  All mine have run beautifully, as I have found with other Dapol locos, like the B4.   Rather a blanket condemnation. 

• Agree 4

33 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Really?  I don't recall that being a widespread issue.  I recall a couple with issues, though I also recall they were replaced with good runners.  All mine have run beautifully, as I have found with other Dapol locos, like the B4.   Rather a blanket condemnation. 

Fair enough, I just didn't want to take the risk and having to deal with the hassle of returning said loco. The gap on top of the cab is enough to put me off for buying a Dapol one. If Dapol makes a second round, I'll probably pick up a LBSC brown version. 

• Like 1