Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

No they don't. Not unless they've re-tooled on the sly. The 2662 model under discussion clearly only has 8. This makes all A1X tanks wrong.

I stand corrected, now that I’ve noticed it, it’s frustrating. Maybe I’ll try and correct this on my Brighton Works Example. In fairness to Hornby, Riley’s 2662 example looks to be a factory error, and the omission of smokebox rivets is not how the model was intended to be produced (other inaccuracies aside). 

Having now seen and worked on both the ROS and H terrier, I can say that both have advantages and disadvantages - which have been covered at length already. My consensus would be that most people would be happy with either, and it’s just a case of pick your poison. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 27/02/2021 at 19:14, Paul.Uni said:

The Hornby coming soon page shows the locos as arriving in August (apart from the DCC fitted 'Bodiam' which isn't listed) and the train pack in October.

On the coming soon page R30006 & R30008 are now listed as due this month.

R30005, R30006X & R30008X remain listed as arriving in August. R3960 is still due in October.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Very surprised 'Stepney' as preserved has not been done yet. I did wonder if this was a planned Bluebell 60 model and deferred, but come 60+1 still no word....

I suspect we will get the as preserved versions of the terriers next year. #Terrier150

• RMweb Gold

Unlikely but nice if we were to have another IoW Southern Olive liveried example, or even perhaps sunshine lettering, black or Malachite. 

Rob. 

1 hour ago, col.stephens said:

Another mainland Southern liveried Hornby Terrier would be nice.  

Hopefully they will print the lettering straight this time, not at an angle. That was the reason I did not buy the first one.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2021 at 10:04, NHY 581 said:

Unlikely but nice if we were to have another IoW Southern Olive liveried example, or even perhaps sunshine lettering, black or Malachite. 

Rob. 

They've done W13 in Malachite - and the forthcoming 32646 would be pretty easy to backdate to W8 to match (I'm wondering if I'll be brave enough to attempt post-dating it to the later Hayling Island condition, lined out, with the low coal rails that were unique to '46, toolboxes and spark arrestor)

I may have just aquired a W10 in olive...

Edited by Nick C
typo

On 15/06/2021 at 16:38, Paul.Uni said:

On the coming soon page R30006 & R30008 are now listed as due this month.

R30005, R30006X & R30008X remain listed as arriving in August. R3960 is still due in October.

R30006 & R30008 have now arrived on the Hornby website

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2021 at 12:03, Nick C said:

(I'm wondering if I'll be brave enough to attempt post-dating it to the later Hayling Island condition, lined out, with the low coal rails that were unique to '46, toolboxes and spark arrestor)

Hi  Nick C,

Only just read your post.  Would it be easier to begin with 32640, and detail it to suit?

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Hi  Nick C,

Only just read your post.  Would it be easier to begin with 32640, and detail it to suit?

Regards,

Alex.

Possibly - depends whether it's easier to change the chimney ('40 had a Drummond one, '46 Stroudley) or to line it out!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Hadn't noticed the change of chimneys.  I've just compared the models, and you're right.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Not sure where you would get a Stroudley chimney ...

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Updating post.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

Hadn't noticed the change of chimneys.  I've just compared the models, and you're right.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Not sure where you would get a Stroudley chimney ...

Regards,

Alex.

Yep - when you consider the various permutations of chimneys (Stroudley, Marsh or Drummond), sandboxes (above or below the footplate), bunkers (original or extended, coal rails or not) and brakes (vac only or dual), you find that all the Terriers that survived to BR days were different! Even more so when you add in positions of lamp brackets and toolboxes...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Bob C said:

I've not been on here very long..... but. Why are there no sound fitted Hornby Terriers? Dapol have done it.

The Internet - not least RMweb - is alive with allegations, accusations and suspicions that Hornby rushed out their Terrier to thwart a market rival. That may have limited their scope to design the model for easy sound-fitting. And the sound market isn't infinite - plenty of grumbles on RMweb about small OO locos now costing three figures, so adding sound hardly helps. 

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Internet - not least RMweb - is alive with allegations, accusations and suspicions that Hornby rushed out their Terrier to thwart a market rival. That may have limited their scope to design the model for easy sound-fitting. And the sound market isn't infinite - plenty of grumbles on RMweb about small OO locos now costing three figures, so adding sound hardly helps. 

Weren't Hornby working on sound for the Terrier?

I seem to recollect a TTS sound chip being developed and featuring on the Engine Shed blog some months ago...

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo