Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

Just now, PaulRhB said:

Simply because we all look at things differently. There are for example loads of people happy with early Bachmann 37’s yet other are in virtual apolexy over the ‘wrong shape’. It’s perception and we see things differently because of what we look at. Many people can’t tell a shinty from a Terrier, it’s just a little tank engine. 

Just relax and accept it, the posts on the details and faults are informative but they just aren’t enough to matter to many. 

Personally I’m still waiting for an Olive Hornby SR Radial because I prefer their versions detail but that’s my choice to do without for now and I have no issue with others choosing the cheaper Oxford version. 

Not worth arguing the point - I won't be drawn, i'm afraid.

2 hours ago, truffy said:

That was correct. And just above that post was also a suggestion by 34theletterbetweenBa&D to work harden them if they're soft. Can't say I've ever needed to try that though.

Given that a contact is broken though, I don't know what the warranty situation would be should you decide to return it.

That's what I was thinking! I'll have another read through, I think I read on another thread recently similar issues with another Hornby loco - can't remember which one though!  Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Edwardian said:

Not worth arguing the point - I won't be drawn, i'm afraid.

I’m not trying to draw you anywhere! But you are just refusing to accept people don’t look at things like you do.  

You've already got pulled up on it, said you had finished, and you’re off again. 

Just relax it’s their choice and no amount of perplexed posts will change them ;) 

I would choose the Dapol version from what I’ve seen as I look at the details and am prepared to pay for more but I know my father would choose the Hornby one. It’s still a Terrier to him and he knows why I choose my way, we just accept we have different priorities ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m not trying to draw you anywhere! But you are just refusing to accept people don’t look at things like you do.  

You've already got pulled up on it, said you had finished, and you’re off again. 

Just relax it’s their choice and no amount of perplexed posts will change them ;) 

I would choose the Dapol version from what I’ve seen as I look at the details and am prepared to pay for more but I know my father would choose the Hornby one. It’s still a Terrier to him and he knows why I choose my way, we just accept we have different priorities ;)

Oh for goodness sake, I have acknowledged the differences of approach.   Not a worthwhile conversation to pirsue.

Without wishing to stir up the debate, can anyone please define the differences? I can tell there are some there, but I am struggling to actually put my finger on what they are, and being ever price-conscious I will have to judge whether it is really worth forking out even more for a Rails one over a Hornby one or whether I can be content with the compromises of a Hornby one as being a vast improvement over my elderly Hornby ones. In the end rather than have my desired three Hornby ones I may cut that down to a Hornby one and a Rails one (Probably both Southern A1x's but then again probably not now I think about it). We'll see, but it'd be useful to see just what the differences are, preferable as a list of differences rather than a "this is why the [x] one is rubbish".

Incidentally, whilst looking for LBSCR A1 pictures on Google I found it to be something of an honour that this appeared reasonably high up the list!

image.png.7b3063a6bfedde12588dcf2f04650b1d.png

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oh for goodness sake, I have acknowledged the differences of approach.   Not a worthwhile conversation to pirsue.

Seriously, are you not aware that different opinions to yours are available and equally as valid? I think everybody gets that you are the RMweb Rails terrier brand ambassador but please do have the courtesy to allow others to have their opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm not going to engage where what I have said is being misconstrued.  I have no issue with the plethora of views expressed. I have said so many times. Not up for a fight, sorry guys. 

I think I've been fair as regards both the rival models.  Please don't try to misrepresent my content.   

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Seriously, you can't tell the difference?!?

Pictures

No one is trying to fight you, it was you expressing bafflement, with exclamations, above about not seeing the difference we responded to. No one is attacking the details you’ve pointed out but just saying not everyone sees things the same way. 

The list of errors you published is very useful in deciding and helped me decide as I’d rather have it accurate so that certainly isn’t misconstrued either but when you start getting exasperated with others with posts like that above it’s got away from a pure comparison. 

Passion for the subject is fine but that post doesn’t set what I assume is your point, purely about they're different, in clear context. 

Edited by PaulRhB

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

No one is trying to fight you, it was you expressing bafflement, with exclamations, above about not seeing the difference we we responded to. No one is attacking the details you’ve pointed out but just saying not everyone sees things the same way. 

Well, I did not want to put anyone down, so I'm sorry if it came across that way. 

You're looking at two good representations that both capture the characteristic appearance of the prototype.  At the traditional 3' viewing distance often described, I doubt many of us could tell them apart. When you get close up, to my mind, the details tell and in a market that's been driven in recent decades by ever greater prototype fidelity, it's a natural focus of attention.   

I did get a wee bit over-excited when the opposition broke cover this afternoon, but, yes, I shouldn't assume that differences are obvious to everyone, not least when I've spent an unconscionable amount of time staring at bits of Terriers and they, being well-balanced individuals, probably haven't!  

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

Without wishing to stir up the debate, can anyone please define the differences? I can tell there are some there, but I am struggling to actually put my finger on what they are, and being ever price-conscious I will have to judge whether it is really worth forking out even more for a Rails one over a Hornby one or whether I can be content with the compromises of a Hornby one as being a vast improvement over my elderly Hornby ones. In the end rather than have my desired three Hornby ones I may cut that down to a Hornby one and a Rails one (Probably both Southern A1x's but then again probably not now I think about it). We'll see, but it'd be useful to see just what the differences are, preferable as a list of differences rather than a "this is why the [x] one is rubbish".

Incidentally, whilst looking for LBSCR A1 pictures on Google I found it to be something of an honour that this appeared reasonably high up the list!

image.png.7b3063a6bfedde12588dcf2f04650b1d.png

I do like the Double Fairlie Terrier - I wonder when that'll come out?  :jester:

• Funny 1

Back to the Hornby model...... Picked one up at lunchtime today, a very pretty blue KESR one. Had intended to borrow a BR one to examine but the KESR one had just arrived in the mail and temptation proved too much. Lots of good points about it to counter the negativity. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We have one very nice Terrier from Hornby, (a model which is a vast improvement on the previous version) at a certain price and I have bought one. I am pleased with it and may even get another. I also have a Dapol/Locomotion/Rails one on order. When that one arrives I will be able to make a fully informed decision as to what future purchases I will make. I may be sounding like a doubting Thomas but until I, or indeed we, get to put the two models side by side I/we will not be able to make a decision and that is bound to be a very personal one. Nice to have a choice and I suspect many of us will find it a difficult decision .

Alas not so good for the manufacturers/commisioners but theirs is a risky occupation and they will have to live with the outcomes on the decisions they made.

all the best

Godfrey

8 hours ago, dibber25 said:

... Lots of good points about it...

Heading the list: looks like a Terrier, it's available, every model railway retailer in the UK is likely to stock it, the price is right.

2 minutes ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

...Nice to have a choice ...

Alas not so good for the manufacturers/commisioners but theirs is a risky occupation and they will have to live with the outcomes on the decisions they made...

Choice is good, and competition is generally welcomed in most markets.

Rails must have planned for the fact that theirs is a restricted availability model, as it is not going to be sitting on the shelves of all UK model railway retailers. And it always had competition from a lower priced model, so that must have been factored in. It now faces upgraded competition is all. If it really is the significantly more accurate item advertised, the target customers for 'better' will buy.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Heading the list: looks like a Terrier, it's available, every model railway retailer in the UK is likely to stock it, the price is right.

Rails must have planned for the fact that theirs is a restricted availability model, as it is not going to be sitting on the shelves of all UK model railway retailers. And it always had competition from a lower priced model, so that must have been factored in. It now faces upgraded competition is all. If it really is the significantly more accurate item advertised, the target customers for 'better' will buy.

Indeed. Those who like to see before they buy may or may not be persuaded by the analysis available online. And those of us who, when circs permit, like to patronise a local hobby shop will see the Hornby model sitting in the showcase and be able to take it away. Only those in Rails’s hinterland have a true choice of doing that. ISTR recently there was news of major retailers sharing their commissions. Perhaps this will be true here too, if sales aren’t up to snuff. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It is also available as an NRM Exclusive in the guise of A1 'Boxhill' and that will be available over the counter at both York and Shildon as well as by mail from Locomotion.  still not anything like as wide a market penetration as Hornby's model will have but I would be amazed if Rails and Locomotion would not have taken that into account when planning, specifying,  and pricing,  the model.  Equally as you've said it would always have been coming up against a cheaper priced model - although not the one it is now going to be up against of course.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is there any known difference between the standard boxhill available from rails and the NRM special? The images shown by the NRM show what looks like the same model as rails have shown

Shouldn't that question be in the Rails’s Terrier thread, rather than the Hornby one?

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is there any known difference between the standard boxhill available from rails and the NRM special? The images shown by the NRM show what looks like the same model as rails have shown

They are one and the same. The terrier/Boxhill is a joint action between Rails, Dapol, and NRM

OO%20Gauge%20Terrier%20Deco%20samples%20on%20the%20way.jpg

Edited by truffy
  • Informative/Useful 1