Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

With an evening or two working below the footplate, Stepney could be a very fine model indeed.  Inside those coupling rods and bolts the correct shape is trying to come out.   The wheels are a particularly good representation of those on a Victorian loco with the slightly squared front face, but the tyres will look better black.  If the buffers are detachable, then a few strokes with a file should be able to make them recess into the beam a bit more.  The chimney is excellent and the cab front windows look reasonably flush.  

I think we are all a bit too quick to criticise new models, forgetting that with a little bit of actual modelling, discrepancies from what we perceive to be correct can usually be rectified. 

Tim

6F0E9627-1965-4C51-8770-C9ECA10116A6.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

For me the two things that really stick out on the old model are the wheels and the Salter valves, both way too thick, otherwise it generally conveys the feel of a Terrier.

Actually along side the Hornby cousin the ex-Dapol ones look bigger overall.

I think for me it’s that it sits at the correct, lower ride height, that is what stands out. Buffers considerably lower. Helps make it look smaller, even if perhaps it isn’t.

29 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

With an evening or two working below the footplate, Stepney could be a very fine model indeed.  Inside those coupling rods and bolts the correct shape is trying to come out.   The wheels are a particularly good representation of those on a Victorian loco with the slightly squared front face, but the tyres will look better black.  If the buffers are detachable, then a few strokes with a file should be able to make them recess into the beam a bit more.  The chimney is excellent and the cab front windows look reasonably flush.  

I think we are all a bit too quick to criticise new models, forgetting that with a little bit of actual modelling, discrepancies from what we perceive to be correct can usually be rectified. 

Tim

Is this the Hornby model? Looks more like the Rails one to me. If not it shows that seeing them in real life and their running qualities will perhaps be needed in order to make a choice as to which to get.

With respect to the crankpins care will be needed to make them smaller if my J15 is anything to go by. The holes in the rods are quite big, and it is really only the corners of the flats that keep them on. Round them off, to the width of the flats, and they will probably pass through them. When I replaced them on said J15 I had to turn up some flanged ones on the lathe to both look better but retain the rods.

Izzy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Tim

That really does look a nice model, especially considering it's price point. Way better than it's predecessor which isn't much cheaper!

Even the balance weights have been coloured to suit.

24 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think for me it’s that it sits at the correct, lower ride height, that is what stands out. Buffers considerably lower. Helps make it look smaller, even if perhaps it isn’t.

Is this the Hornby model? Looks more like the Rails one to me.

Izzy

It's the picture on Hornby's website

• Thanks 1

Two points, and this is not "negativity".

First, the picture above is the early graphic of the Hornby model.  It's not a picture of a physical model. Things have changed and, so, neither its good nor bad points should necessarily be relied upon.  Best most recent picture I think is the sample picture posted by Hattons (Hattons copyright), but, again, a note of caution in reaching judgments as it's still the sample:

1199201499_HornbyPaintedSampleStepneyHattonsWebsite.jpg.a4cc55d42c0b283c3473e2a115f4479c.jpg

Second point, I don't disagree with anything CF MRC has said. The point of comments here is to evaluate its out of box condition.  But it may well be that a little bit of work could improve things.  Personally I really like the choice of Stepney in the condition chosen by Hornby.  I wanted to order it and have been considering whether it could form a sound basis for an upgrade, if that were my choice. lf I listed all the things I think I'd want to do, it would just sound like a re-hashing of criticisms already made, but one or two points would be: I reckon I could fix the buffers and the guard irons, but I would be less sanguine about the crank pin nuts as I'm no engineer.  What worries me most are the boiler join and whether the tank tops could be recessed successfully.  It might well be worth giving it a go.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's all very interesting, thanks. I have followed the debate over the two competing models with interest, and with the release of the Rails images thought that it was really a more refined model in terms of looks and details, but at a higher cost. But it seems that actually seeing physical models is neccesary, that the production run ones might not quite be the same in respect to the general quality of construction and finish produced. I prize decent running above all else, and only then looks. If you can get both then of course that's always best..., but not always possible.

In regard to the Hornby coupling rods perhaps having a look here at what I did might help illustrate what I presume will be needed in some way or another.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124592-some-rtr-rolling-stock-for-all-saints-east/

I am sorry that with no post no's to give it's neccesary to scroll down the page.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

The point about seeing the items in physical form is a good one. What I'm gleaning from this thread, and the other one, is that both models are likely to have plus and minus points compared to each other. 

For me, and I suspect a lot of other less knowledgable, easier to please modellers, whether or not the model captures the look of the thing from normal viewing distances will be as important as absolute fidelity to prototype, as will price point.

Or do the great and the good spend all their time viewing their models from two inches away?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I am sorry that with no post no's to give it's neccesary to scroll down the page.

That little sideways 'V' in the top right-had corner of posts (to the right of "Report post") is a share link. Click on that, and it gives a direct link to a post.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Or do the great and the good spend all their time viewing their models from two inches away?

I'm neither great, not good. But I don't buy so many models that the difference in price is more important than placating my OCD. And my OCD prizes fidelity to the prototype above all else (oh, and good running!)

23 minutes ago, truffy said:

I'm neither great, not good. But I don't buy so many models that the difference in price is more important than placating my OCD. And my OCD prizes fidelity to the prototype above all else (oh, and good running!)

i Have ADHD ,DADGAG,,DGDGBDand AC /DC .So whatever one I buy I will get bored with and go back to my guitars.After that I will get bored and turn up my Blackstar and rock ...then back to the Terriers.

Despite all the shortcomings I couldn't resist buying both 32636 and 32655.

On the right hand side of 32636 (looking from the cab) there is a small pipe running from the cab to the smokebox, just inside the handrail.

On 32655 this pipe is absent, leaving  a few holes.

I queried this in the shop and they looked at several others.  None of them had the pipe.

So I wondered if all the models of 32655 are missing this pipe or just the batch my local shop had received ?

Would anyone who has bought one be kind enough to satisfy my curiosity ?

Thanks

Rodney

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2019 at 22:29, meatloaf said:

Has anyone attempted to fit a decoder to thiers yet?

I'll be ordering mine next weel along with a guagemaster dcc23 small decoder. Hopefully its easy to get the body off

Yes. I have sucessfully installed a Zimo MX617F (wires with NEM651 plug) in No32636 without having to resort to any surgery whatsoever.

I initially thought the 70mm long wires would be problematic, however, they can be gently folded to rest atop the decoder socket and held with a small strip of tape whilst the body is refitted.

WARNING!  Use thin, pointed tweezers to gently prise the sandpipes over the brake gear when aligning and refitting body.

Administrators: I have posted this also in the DCC section, please feel free to move.

Edited by Right Away
More finger trouble!
  • Thanks 1

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:01, RedgateModels said:

with a painted on face ;)

Funnily enough I was looking at my nephews TTTE books the other day (never read them as a kid).

Stepney has a face but the other "Bluebells" didn't in the illustrations. So no putting faces on your Hatton's Ps as it would be wrong. :senile:

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just wait till he sees the range of novelty underwear we’ve commissioned it’s got Hornby written all over it, well 5 out of six letters anyway  . . . Terrierific ;)

and no no I don’t do Facebook so not me , :drink_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be far more detail in Hornbys cab than the Dapol one. These two images show Hornbys cab, (images posted by 90rob who I hope won’t mind me reusing it)

B9F7338C-E137-47D2-A338-4880726E11DE.jpeg.32d3b6b068bf4cd63706e06a701f7ca9.jpeg

compared to the Locomotion Boxhill that was just detailed in an email from them. 

86552739-9167-4618-90C4-E835A6E9B637.jpeg.661e0a33b84f5d47644a872dbf68f723.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

There seems to be far more detail in Hornbys cab than the Dapol one. These two images show Hornbys cab, (images posted by 90rob who I hope won’t mind me reusing it)

compared to the Locomotion Boxhill that was just detailed in an email from them. 

AFAIK

The Hornby one is the real production model.

The Rails version is a livery example.

I prefer to wait and see exactly what Rails are going to produce before making up my mind.

Hornby do have a record of making very nice looking cab fittings. They also have a history of making them generic across the range. The J15 is a good example of this trend. With the variation in braking systems being ignored. Been caught and had to do a bit of a bodge on mine to make things more representative.

The photos do show the advantage of glazing the windows individually.

Bernard

• Agree 4