Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Not really into steam traction but I’m going to throw my hat into the ring after seeing both the Hornby and Rails models.  Sorry Hornby but the Rails version wins hands down on looks, paint finish and detailing.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Not really into steam traction but I’m going to throw my hat into the ring after seeing both the Hornby and Rails models.  Sorry Hornby but the Rails version wins hands down on looks, paint finish and detailing.

But not the cab. If Rails are going to say this is the “pedigree” terrier then they need to improve the cab detail. And before anyone says oh but you can hardly see it, that’s not the point. They are claiming theirs will be the best so they need to beat Hornbys cab detail. I don’t see that happening! 

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction.
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

But not the cab. If Rails are going to say this is the “pedigree” terrier then they need to improve the cab detail. And before anyone says oh but you can hardly see it, that’s not the point. They are claiming theirs will be the best so they need to beat Hornbys cab detail. I don’t see that happening! 

We've only seen livery samples on early EPs from Rails, patience. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

But detail appropriate to which version ? Not as easy as you might think,considering additions and modifications applied during the long life of the A1 subsequently A1X .Ponder.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Derails Models said:

A surprise arrival today!

46748503714_b7cfea4af8_c.jpg

R3783 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Is it me or are the buffers on this version better than on the BR version. It should be noted that the tooling here is different as these are the 'raised' buffers modified for motor train working. 32636 has its original lower buffers. These higher buffers actually seem to have the correct balance of relief over the buffer beams. I'm impressed.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But detail appropriate to which version ? Not as easy as you might think,considering additions and modifications applied during the long life of the A1 subsequently A1X .Ponder.....

I think that's a fair point, and, indeed, there's a, rather more measured, discussion on that very point over on the Rails topic from here  

This is what you get in an original condition A1 (not much!) and I think with the treatment of the dials and the separate glazing, Rails/Dapol, depicts it very well (it's not about how much bling there is!):

1835157353_DSCN8616-Copy.JPG.30886f0b0ed37129d8818ecad8bc886d.JPG

6 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Is it me or are the buffers on this version better than on the BR version. It should be noted that the tooling here is different as these are the 'raised' buffers modified for motor train working. 32636 has its original lower buffers. These higher buffers actually seem to have the correct balance of relief over the buffer beams. I'm impressed.

I'd say you're right there about the buffers.  It looks good. If it weren't for the tank tops and the hex-nuts, I could fall in love with that.  Hornby, who can't seem to get GWR green right for toffee, have always, to my mind, done a lovely Maunsell olive green and it is a very attractive livery.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I thought that too, But all those locos and 7 Maunsell coaches, 5 58 ft ex LSWR coaches and a Gate Stock is too much for my current space.

So last night 3 ex LSWR coaches and 2 locos went into their boxes - at the moment rather than unboxing items I seem to be constantly putting things in boxes - I seem to be doing the reverse of everyone else.

Are you going to make the world's first re-boxing video ?

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, andyram said:

Which are you missing? I may have one or two left.

Thank you for the kind offer. I would jump on it on a heart beat if the vouchers wasn’t exclusive to my local model shop. That allowed me to purchase it. 

Big james 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Having seen one of the blue K&ESR ones in the flesh, I was pleasantly surprised by how little 'bling' there is on the production models. The wheel rims, for example, weren't shiny.

Ah, but did it have the coupling rods fitted the right way round!?!

1142249149_Comparison1-Copy.jpg.5ab89382fc1ac11aa8b6e74bc711a85f.jpg

(still from Jenny's video)

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I think that out of all of the Hornby models available the SR Green A1x was the better one to buy - certainly the rails A1 looks vastly superior to me.

I have some sympathy with that assessment.  I do like the look of the SR green one much more than the first 2 releases. The big difference is that on the raised buffers, Hornby seems to have sorted things out.  I could potentially replace the bits that evidently came from Hornby's parts bin, like the guard irons and the hex nuts, with something more suitable.  Surgery to the tank tops, though delicate, seems possible(!).

• Agree 1

Indeed - I might consider hacking the tank tops once I'm past the roughly 6 month "You paid how much for that and you're doing what to it?!" (from my mother...) period in which any alterations are out of the question, though I might get away with the renumbering I need to do to give it a 'B' number rather than a '2' number. 

Ultimately I'm happy enough with the Hornby SR A1x, but the A1's just looked wrong to me (especially around the front end). I have time to save up for a Rails A1 in umber, given they're yet to announce one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

Indeed - I might consider hacking the tank tops once I'm past the roughly 6 month "You paid how much for that and you're doing what to it?!" (from my mother...) period in which any alterations are out of the question, though I might get away with the renumbering I need to do to give it a 'B' number rather than a '2' number. 

Ultimately I'm happy enough with the Hornby SR A1x, but the A1's just looked wrong to me (especially around the front end). I have time to save up for a Rails A1 in umber, given they're yet to announce one.

I still don't like the join on the boiler, which I couldn't do anything about, but I've been thinking that I risk less money trying to hack this one back to an early Brighton A1X conversion in umber?

• Agree 1

Well this is the other consideration I've had! The A1 is too wrong, but I think when these come down in price (as they hopefully will do - An LSWR 0415 scenario all over again with one, slightly lower quality in some ways, model becoming very cheap within a few months) I may get a few more Hornby A1x's to hack about. The SR green one seems the most suitable for putting into umber, given it has the Motor-Train buffers and the condensing pipes.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Well this is the other consideration I've had! The A1 is too wrong, but I think when these come down in price (as they hopefully will do - An LSWR 0415 scenario all over again with one, slightly lower quality in some ways, model becoming very cheap within a few months) I may get a few more Hornby A1x's to hack about. The SR green one seems the most suitable for putting into umber, given it has the Motor-Train buffers and the condensing pipes.

Great minds think alike 

(though fools seldom differ!)

• Friendly/supportive 1

I could be wrong, and correct me if I am.

On the Dapol O gauge terrier thread there was a discussion about the rods being fitted the wrong way round. And it was mentioned that with an equal wheelbase like the terriers it doesn't matter which way they were fitted and examples of joint forward/after the middle crankpin were given

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I could be wrong, and correct me if I am.

On the Dapol O gauge terrier thread there was a discussion about the rods being fitted the wrong way round. And it was mentioned that with an equal wheelbase like the terriers it doesn't matter which way they were fitted and examples of joint forward/after the middle crankpin were given

What you say may be correct, but I started to go through Middlemass and on every picture in which the rods could be seen sufficiently clearly, the arrangement is per the Dapol sample, with no examples matching Hornby's production model.  I will confess that I stopped counting after 60 photographs, but these covered all periods of service of the class, so I'm pretty confident that they should be just the one way. 

Further, you'll see that the cranked rod is fitted with the crank in the wrong direction on the Hornby model.  This is Rolvenden reviewed by Jenny Emily; on the SR 2662 posted by Derails, the rods are correctly fitted.

Clearly at least one has left the factory wrongly assembled, so it's just a point for purchasers to look out for. 

• Agree 1

Continuing a  point from the Rails thread in this Hornby thread.

There are 5 boiler top/tank varients shown on the Hornby website

es-terrier-exploded.jpg

Working top to bottom we have:

A1 (original)

A1x (tanks with condenser dome holes

A1x with filler caps moved forwards. A1x with no condenser domes

A1 (original)

Why are the top and bottom seemingly the same? Might one have condenser pipes on the cab front and the other have them blanked off?

Its great for the manufacturer to provide so many details on display for us to see.

I guess each tank piece is not necessarily a completely different tooling, but will have a different combination of slides (I expect the backhead to be the same on each)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, but did it have the coupling rods fitted the right way round!?!

1142249149_Comparison1-Copy.jpg.5ab89382fc1ac11aa8b6e74bc711a85f.jpg

(still from Jenny's video)

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you and I'm too tired to dig it out and take it out of the box now.

Which one is correct, though?

I seem to recall checking this out in the past when I was putting together Locomotives Illustrated No. 48. We had access to a lot of LPC glass plates - and there were a lot of Brighton 'Terriers' in pre-Grouping condition. I'm not in a position to check now, but if I recall correctly there were instances of the rods being on either way round. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4