Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

On 29/03/2019 at 10:58, sem34090 said:

Some photos for you all!

IMG_20190329_104448.jpg.d9b4da56f396257ad41657f8eebfb7e0.jpg

On 29/03/2019 at 10:58, sem34090 said:

How does it come apart, Sem, is there an exploded parts diagram?

I'm thinking of:

- Coming at the cab to replace the glazing 

- Seeing if the bunker coals rails detach (earlier series Brighton A1X rebuilds had no coal rails, followed by open rails)

- Stripping the bunker tops and separating that area so I could hack away at it. 

If I could do this, plus file down those hex-nuts, the only remaining objection is the boiler join, but there would be no way around that as it is presumably where the body is supposed to separate from the  chassis.  Is there gubbins inside the barrel?  I suspect so, but if not, the boiler section could be replaced wholesale.  A nice little challenge.

• Like 1

G'day all,

Another post by me regarding these locos, I had my 32655 running at my local model club for a couple of hours yesterday and I'm happy to report it ran faultlessly the entire time it was out.

Smooth, quiet and hauling 2 Hornby MK1s with a Mainline BSK hanging off the rear with ease. This layout has some pretty steep inclines working out at 1:40 - 1:50 on average so I was very impressed! Performance like this makes me want to get another. Well done to Hornby. 

• Like 2

I didn't manage to take a look (got distracted, sorry!) but will look tomorrow instead.

Have a video of it running instead, alongside my other new purchase.

Now, had I set the money aside for a Rails Terrier I couldn't have afforded the stunning model that is Heljan's Metropolitan Railway Bo-Bo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

……………….. the only remaining objection is the boiler join, but there would be no way around that as it is presumably where the body is supposed to separate from the  chassis. 

What exactly are you referring to? Is it that very faint line 3/4 up the boiler/smokebox, just below the handrail? Not in any way criticising your comment, just wondering what the issue is.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

1 minute ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

What exactly are you referring to? Is it that very faint line 2/3rds up the boiler/smokebox? Not in any way criticising your comment, just wondering what the issue is.

It is a feature introduced by Hornby on a previous model.

It can be almost invisible  unless you are deliberately looking for it.

It can be a very deep ugly groove on some liveries and/or under certain lighting conditions.

There is a good reason for Hornby doing it that way.

It does not bother me too much as I only ever buy black locos.

I then add a bit of filth to the under-parts which helps to break up the view of the edge.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The feint line 2/3 up the boiler would be a mould split line. Either where the slides or two haves meet or showing the edge of a insert for fitting different variations into the same tooling base. Unavoidable really

I think they are referring split line under the boiler between the diecast lower and plastic upper sections.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:30, Edwardian said:

... the only remaining objection is the boiler join, but there would be no way around that as it is presumably where the body is supposed to separate from the  chassis.  Is there gubbins inside the barrel?  I suspect so, but if not, the boiler section could be replaced wholesale.  A nice little challenge.

I first encountered this style of construction in a Hornby item on the J15. The vertical side of the inserted cast boiler underside was slightly on view. A small adjustment to the two locations where the body seated  on the mechanism completely concealed the join, by allowing the body to drop an extra 0.5mm as it seated on the mechanism. Hopefully the Terrier construction will allow similar adjustment.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

It is a feature introduced by Hornby on a previous model.

It can be almost invisible  unless you are deliberately looking for it.

It can be a very deep ugly groove on some liveries and/or under certain lighting conditions.

There is a good reason for Hornby doing it that way.

It does not bother me too much as I only ever buy black locos.

I then add a bit of filth to the under-parts which helps to break up the view of the edge.

Bernard

Could someone kindly post a photo clearly showing this issue please

I was aware of it before I bought the model, but even then it hasn't stood out massively to me other than in photos, but then it hasn't been out of its box all that much yet. If it begins to bother me I'll see if the method above is practicable. It does make me wonder how easy the chassis will be to remove on the rails one, though that's really for the other thread.

Overall I'm very happy with it and look forward to giving it a proper running-in on Tuesday. £30 isn't a massive price difference, but I can see these falling lower, and that £30 was almost half of the money to buy the gorgeous Heljan Met Bo-Bo, so I'm very happy that I was able to buy that as well. Had I ordered a Rails one, or (rather) saved the money for a Rails one I wouldn't have the Metropolitan loco, sooo... It was more than worth taking the Hornby compromises in my case.

Though I still think the Rails one will be better, certainly aesthetically, and if I need an A1 I will only buy the Hornby one if it is absolutely necessary for whatever reason (for example if Rails don't make many batches of theirs.).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My 2662 arrived from Rails today (purely because they offered free postage) :) I've ordered their SR one too. 

I think I was far too quick to jump on the criticise Hornby band wagon, close up photos are unkind. She's a beaut! And the buffers look quite normal to me in the flesh... 

Here's some photos comparing against other locos. Perhaps time to retire my Dapol Terrier.... (the 10mb upload limit won't let me upload comparison photos straight from my phone  :(

20190401_205850.jpg.06a0d5d7ecf4cdabfc0b12d971395fd1.jpg

(yes, I have yet to paint 2473's wheels) 

20190401_210038.jpg.113963b7c9fa26a78d616b6d63143894.jpg

Edit: link to Tweet with video 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 5

Will it be getting a coat of wartime black or is it rather too nice? ;) 

I must say I had considered painting mine into umber but have bottled out and in the end decided I'll simply renumber it.

9 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Will it be getting a coat of wartime black or is it rather too nice? ;) 

I must say I had considered painting mine into umber but have bottled out and in the end decided I'll simply renumber it.

I'll be patient and wait, with 2 companies doing them, surely one will release a wartime black one...? Then again with the abundance of old and new tooled Hunslet Austeritys from Hornby & DJ and even Hatton's commission from DJ there still isn't a pre-LNER WW2 condition one as far as I know?

I gave up waiting for a wartime E4. 

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:40, sem34090 said:

I didn't manage to take a look (got distracted, sorry!) but will look tomorrow instead.

Have a video of it running instead, alongside my other new purchase.

Now, had I set the money aside for a Rails Terrier I couldn't have afforded the stunning model that is Heljan's Metropolitan Railway Bo-Bo.

It seems to be a sticky little blighter.

• RMweb Gold

I gave mine blue one a run on the new layout last night and it's lovely and smooth running, straight out of the box. It really is a little gem of a thing.

One thing, though, which I will be looking into further, but I think the Hornby flanges are catching on the inside of the chairs on my C&L track, something that some Bachmann RTR locos have done in the past.

• Informative/Useful 2

To update, I have now given the loco a proper running-in on the club test track and it performed flawlessly. Its strength is also to be noted as it managed four Hornby Maunsells up what I make to be a 1 in 30.

• Like 6

Bought 32655 and it was erratic runner straight out of the box. Looking at the pickups, it was clear they were not  adjusted properly, so this was done by unscrewing the keeper plate but not completely removing it, and bending the pickups out so they were touching at all times. After that it ran sweetly in analog and DCC. It  It  is a big advance on old Dapol model,  which was good for its time though.