Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Here's something annoying and frustrating - I've been running my Terrier in since about 0900 hrs this morning on a circle of track, changing directions and turning the loco round regularly.

Forward direction isn't too bad, but it wasn't too bad to begin with, but has barely improved.

Reverse direction has actually got a lot worse, with a noticeable tight spot where there was hardly any before!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Here's something annoying and frustrating - I've been running my Terrier in since about 0900 hrs this morning on a circle of track, changing directions and turning the loco round regularly.

Forward direction isn't too bad, but it wasn't too bad to begin with, but has barely improved.

Reverse direction has actually got a lot worse, with a noticeable tight spot where there was hardly any before!

Are we sure its a tight spot and not a break in electrical contact (such as the wiper pickups not touching the wheels)?

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Are we sure its a tight spot and not a break in electrical contact (such as the wiper pickups not touching the wheels)?

It's happening as regular as clockwork with the rods in a certain position and the pick ups in any case seem to be OK, so it's looking like I will have to dismantle the chassis to investigate.

• RMweb Gold

Try checking the gears, Tim. 

Not sure of the gear set up on the Terrier but could there be a split on the gear which opens up under load one way and not the other? 

Other Hornby models have had this fault. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It's happening as regular as clockwork with the rods in a certain position and the pick ups in any case seem to be OK, so it's looking like I will have to dismantle the chassis to investigate.

Check to see if the hex ( ? ) nuts on the coupling rods are not loose.That’s another common fault btw....apart from split gear syndrome which manifests itself usually in jerky running.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Dismantle!

Just return it for a replacement, documenting the fault. All good retailers will be happy to oblige.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree.

My first Terrier ran very badly with a tight spot every revolution.  I couldn't find any particular reason for it.

I mentioned it to my local shop and they said they had several like it.  A large percentage of their stock was being returned for various reasons and they were quite happy to add mine to the pile.

The replacement runs nicely.

Rodney

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby have just posted this picture of Stepney to their facebook page with the caption reading:

" We’re sure many of you are joining us in counting down until R3780 ‘Stepney’ is released. With only a matter of weeks to go, we can’t wait to see this superb locomotive on all your layouts! "

FB_IMG_1557159364133.jpg.9147aeb66814b224f779ad47c0cb3a28.jpg

Looking like most of the decoration issues from before like missing lining from the cab and tank fronts has been attended to. Also noticed the wheels now have the green balance weights with faux spokes painted on.

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was going to wait to see what the Rails / Dapol Terrier was like, but when I saw the Hornby SECR liveried version in Ian Allan at Waterloo on Friday, I caved.

I'm aware of its shortcomings thanks to Edwardians many posts, but it's so small, and the photos used to critique it would be 4-5 times bigger than the model itself on most peoples monitors.

I'm well pleased with my purchase, and will now add the Southern liveried version and also Stepney when it becomes available.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Picked up an SECR version on impulse yesterday. Absolutely beautiful model and livery application cant be faulted. Just some black  paint on the tyres and some etched number plates to finish off.

One thing I noticed the vacuum ejector in the cab is leaning towards the reverser with no way of locating it in the front of the cab it'll have to stay like it.

Also theres a discrepancy with the vac/air pipework. Theres a vacuum pipe fitted on the rear bufferbeam but nothing on the front and the detail pack supplies what I assume to be a high level air pipe and 2 steam heat pipes?

Can anyone confirm what pipes No 751 should have please?

What I am about to say sounds daft  - even to me!

I am tempted to buy a Stepney even though I don't model British any more - just to support Hornby and Simon Kohler who I first met when he was a rep for Hammond & Morgan!! 

Stepney will look very colourful in my showcase and if my £89.95 helps get Hornby back on its feet then that will be £89.95 well spent.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Stepney will look very colourful in my showcase and if my £89.95 helps get Hornby back on its feet then that will be £89.95 well spent.

I didn’t realise that Hornby’s financial position was that dire!

Edited by truffy
  • Funny 4

On 26/05/2019 at 07:34, TEAMYAKIMA said:

What I am about to say sounds daft  - even to me!

I am tempted to buy a Stepney even though I don't model British any more - just to support Hornby and Simon Kohler who I first met when he was a rep for Hammond & Morgan!! 

Decision made, order placed.

Thank you Simon for all the help you gave Twickenham MRC back in the day - my pleasure to repay your kindness by buying this Hornby item which will look so nice in my showcase.

As one can never need 2 SE&CR versions, I shall await the Rails version.

Two new versions  have been announced by Hornby.  A Southern era IoW, Cowes, and an IEG Leadenhall, in which condition (condensing pipes and original number), it is going toe to toe with Boxhill

Again, I shall await the Rails version and make an informed choice, rather than succumb to impatience. 

• Agree 2

The DCC ready Stepney has arrived at Kernow MRC as I got a dispatch email from them not long ago. I would imagine other retailers will have received/be receiving theirs soon.

Also no one answered my question about the pipes on No 751. Its got vaccum on the back but only supplied with air pipes in the detail bag (and one other)

5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The DCC ready Stepney has arrived at Kernow MRC as I got a dispatch email from them not long ago. I would imagine other retailers will have received/be receiving theirs soon.

Also no one answered my question about the pipes on No 751. Its got vaccum on the back but only supplied with air pipes in the detail bag (and one other)

Sorry, missed the question first time round.

it is said that SE&CR 751 had the Westinghouse pumps and air-brake fittings removed,  The Derails picture (above) finally shows the RH side of Hornby's 751. Hornby have retained the Westinghouse pumps, which seems to make little sense as the SE&CR was a vac-fitted line.  RCTS confirms the changes :

It went to Ashford Works for the removal of the Westinghouse equipment and feed pumps, the fitting of vacuum ejectors and injectors, and painting in the Wainwright Brunswick green livery.

EDIT:  I did wonder if this is a further instance of prototype illiteracy on the part of Hornby.  They seem to have developed something of a blind spot with the Terrier; more of 'an  Oxford job', than the Hornby we've come to know and appreciate.  But an admittedly poor view of the RH suggests the presence of a pump, contrary to what Bradley wrote. So there we are. 

So, 751 should reflect vac fitting with:

- Vac pipes to front and rear buffer beams; and,

- Vac exhaust pipe (cranked at the cab end), running from the cab front sheet, along the top of the boiler hand rail to the smoke box on the LH side of the loco.

Best picture I can come up with. I think you can just see the rear of the front vac stand. You can see both ends of the exhaust pipe clearly, however. 

A1_SE&CR_751.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for that explanation Edwardian.

It appears Hornby have it correct with the Vac exhaust pipe being fitted but as you say have ignored the removal of the westinghouse pump and addition of front vac pipe. Which is a bit of a shame. But then again what we have is a mid-top range model with a few compromises.

Upon carefully prising the pump off the side of the cab. Its a tight push fit rather than glued. Sadly it is held in by 2 rather large pegs and leaves this behind. Sadly I think I have no option but to put it back on...IMG_20190529_194526.jpg.1ddf29fa2d75d0697bd124cd78537642.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It appears Hornby have it correct with the Vac exhaust pipe being fitted but as you say have ignored the removal of the westinghouse pump and addition of front vac pipe. Which is a bit of a shame. But then again what we have is a mid-top range model with a few compromises.

Upon carefully prising the pump off the side of the cab. Its a tight push fit rather than glued. Sadly it is held in by 2 rather large pegs and leaves this behind. Sadly I think I have no option but to put it back on...IMG_20190529_194526.jpg.1ddf29fa2d75d0697bd124cd78537642.jpg

Leave it on, the SECR only standardised on the SER vacuum brake, the LCDR was an air braked railway and air braked stock would still have been about. Until someone turns up a photograph of 751 newly painted in SECR livery without air brakes it may well have retained them for a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I see your problem.  Thems big 'oles.

That is a very useful close-up photo in a number of other respects: 

- I do like the Hornby wheels (I've said so before), and here they're nicely lined. Good job.

- I assume it's a trick of the light in the photograph, but the pale green wide band in the centre of the lining has come out turquoise! As a style conscious girlfriend of my extreme youth once remarked, "blue and green must never be seen".  Now I finally understand why.

- The buffers should have yellow lining on the guides; no biggy, as I think this has been omitted from other models in this livery.  Guard irons should be lined, too, but as these are the sweepings of Hornby's parts bin and not at all like the real ones, they probably are not worth the added decoration.  Minor, minor points. 

- The tool box is too short.  It should overlap the rear of the buffers.  Shorter varieties are later, I suspect dating from the raising of the buffers on the motor train conversions (from 1906), which, of course, does not apply to this example.  I presume all the A1s will have the wrong tool box. 

- The cab rear sheet is, again (as with Rolvenden), the very late condition (early '60s) flush sheet without the rivetted but-strip, so not really appropriate for Edwardian condition.. 

Still, defensible at the price, to be fair: you gets what you pay for. 

• Like 1