Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AGR Model Store said:

My preorder was posted out by Hatton's on Tuesday and arrived first thing Wednesday morning,  but it's a Father's Day present so I can't open it til next Sunday! 

Cheers, 

Keith 

17 hours ago, tractionman said:

My preorder was posted out by Hatton's on Tuesday and arrived first thing Wednesday morning,  but it's a Father's Day present so I can't open it til next Sunday! 

Cheers, 

Keith 

What a nice problem to have! :)

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Searching earlier in the thread I found posts from Right Away, Meatloaf, Les1952. and Al51 regarding DCC decoders for the Hornby terrier.

My usual preferred decoder is a DCC concepts stay alive, and I have found that this is also "too long" to fit inside as per the gaugemaster/zimo attempts from previous posters. The stay alive seems unlikely.

My question to Hornby Terrier owners; how well does it run with the Hornby 6 pin decoder (which folds back on itself to fit in nicely I see).

Does it stall over electrofrog points?

Many thanks in advance for any advice received from fellow RMWebbers.

I don't have DCC but if it helps I have run 2 terriers (655, 751) on DC with no issues over electrofrog pointwork.

As been mentioned previously, I have had to make sure the pickups were adjusted to contact on full side to side movement but so far no major issue's.

• Informative/Useful 1

A Zimo MX617F uses the same 6-pin on harness arrangement as the Hornby decoder, and likely offers better performance at a lower cost. Mine has one and trundles about very nicely indeed over pointwork. Fitting was a bit of a pain in that the decoder has to go over the socket and then have the wires shaped over the top to fit within the remaining boiler void space, but it does go in and I imagine the Hornby decoder would be no better in this regard either.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2019 at 04:34, GraemeWatson said:

Searching earlier in the thread I found posts from Right Away, Meatloaf, Les1952. and Al51 regarding DCC decoders for the Hornby terrier.

My usual preferred decoder is a DCC concepts stay alive, and I have found that this is also "too long" to fit inside as per the gaugemaster/zimo attempts from previous posters. The stay alive seems unlikely.

My question to Hornby Terrier owners; how well does it run with the Hornby 6 pin decoder (which folds back on itself to fit in nicely I see).

Does it stall over electrofrog points?

Many thanks in advance for any advice received from fellow RMWebbers.

Hi Graeme,

I also use DCC Concepts but regarding stay alives I've switched to using my own built. Their website gives advice on the basic control circuitry needed between the DCC chip and capacitor(s). These items can be tiny if you use Tantalum caps.

With careful wiring you might be able to locate 3 or 4 220uF Tantalum Caps dotted around the loco, this will offer more storage than the DCC SA device where the control circuit and caps are all under the same package and the capacitance very modest. Most if not all smaller DCC chips will not have SA control circuitry on board because of the size constraint, definitely true for Zimo Sound chips.

As this is drifting OT I'll PM you with more info on the DCC stuff.

Colin 

Edited by BWsTrains
corection
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Graeme,

I also use DCC Concepts but regarding stay alives I've switched to using my own built. Their website gives advice on the basic control circuitry needed between the DCC chip and capacitor(s). These items can be tiny if you use Tantalum caps.

With careful wiring you might be able to locate 3 or 4 220uF Tantalum Caps dotted around the loco, this will offer more storage than the DCC SA device where the control circuit and caps are all under the same package and the capacitance very modest. Most if not all smaller DCC chips will not have SA control circuitry on board because of the size constraint, definitely true for Zimo Sound chips.

As this is drifting OT I'll PM you with more info on the DCC stuff.

Colin 

Many thanks for this, and for the PM; tremendously helpful, I'm very grateful.

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

R3811 LB&SCR no. 48 Leadenhall and R3812 SR no. W10 Cowes are showing as in stock on the Hornby website.

The five announced in the 2020 range are currently due in the summer according to the Hornby website.

Had an email yesterday to say the W10 I'd ordered was in stock and would be dispatched shortly :)

59 minutes ago, banburysaint said:

Is possible for someone to photograph the under side of a Hornby Terrier showing the pick up position please? My Terrier has started stalling I suspect that the pick ups are not in the correct position. Many thanks for any help you can give. 

One thing to check is to have the loco upside down and look at the pickups as you slide the wheels side to side. One or two I have seen the pickups aren't bent out wide enough so the loose contact at the extreme points of the side to side travel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, banburysaint said:

Is possible for someone to photograph the under side of a Hornby Terrier showing the pick up position please? My Terrier has started stalling I suspect that the pick ups are not in the correct position. Many thanks for any help you can give. 

I've never been too happy with the pick ups on mine (first batch late emblem). I bought it directly from Hornby, and if you look at the pictures you might be able to see that one of the pickups was adjusted, presumably  by Hornby themselves, before the loco was sent out. Rather than strip down, I think the contact was probably bent outwards with a pair on fine long nosed pliers. It runs well enough, but not perfectly.

SAM_8059.JPG

SAM_8060.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running/performance qualities of these little animals, when supplied from a good analogue controller, marks out ten?

I’m wondering whether to get the LSWR one when it arrives, so feedback would be much appreciated. 

Edited by Nearholmer

19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Running/performance qualities of these little animals, marks out ten?

I’m wondering whether to get the LSWR one when it arrives, soo febbcj would be much appreciated. 

I would actually give mine a 6 or 7. It is not bad, but it has been geared to run at a similar speed to the M7 and 700, and this to me feels much too fast, especially if you run it without a load. Mine does not run as well at slow speeds  (or perhaps I should say run as 'pleasingly'), as the original Dapol designed terrier, and is prone to stopping occasionally. Not bad, though, and remember I have the late crest version which I understand from earlier posts may have had some QC problems. I am tempted by the LSWR version too....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Many thanks for your help and photos much appreciated. I will report back in due course. Re running I would suggest a 7 (pre pick up problems) is fair. I think the Dapol Terrier was more assured due to the compensated middle wheel set and the Hornby Terrier is not in my view as assured as the peckett due to the difference in weight between the pair

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Running/performance qualities of these little animals, marks out ten?

I’m wondering whether to get the LSWR one when it arrives, so feedback would be much appreciated. 

My two, Nos 32636/55, both fitted with Zimo decoders have run very well over the last year. Slow speed performance is exceptional. 

They can appear a tad more sensitive to rail head conditions than the Hatton "P", but as long as everything is kept clean there are no problems.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Running/performance qualities of these little animals, when supplied from a good analogue controller, marks out ten?

Won't give marks out of 10 because I don't have a huge number of locos, and trains tend to be short on my layout.

Pulling power is comparable with the old Terrier, but possibly a shade lighter.  The new Hornby Terrier can cope with a rake of 3 Bachmann's Birdcage Stock very well.  You have to be a little careful at low speeds (running on DC) with 2 Hornby's ex-LSWR Maunsell re-builds because those coaches are not very free-running, though.  It doesn't make a lot of difference if you add a Parkside passenger luggage/guards van at the back of the ex-LSWR re-builds.  Please note that my layout does not have intentional gradients.  Concerning prototype, so far I haven't found too many pictures of single Terriers pulling more than 3 bogie coaches, or 2 bogie coaches and a few goods wagons.

The new Terrier seems to like to go slightly faster than the old (ex-Dapol tooling) Hornby Terriers, but is a lot quieter, and looks a lot more like the pictures of Terriers with coaches that you see in the Hayling Island Branch Line book.  (I think that the old Terrier is taller than it should have been.)

Edited by Richard Lee
Not telling!
  • Informative/Useful 4