Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

Interesting reading about others experiences here, particularly regarding the pick ups. I found them to be incredible flimsy. Initially mine were soon bent out of shape. My  attempt to straighten them met with disaster as one by one they snapped off! I managed to get a replacement set of pick ups plus chassis base, and have already "lost" one of the six! The other five are already bent out of shape and only occasionally touch the wheels as they should! Anyone have any thoughts on adaptions to improve this?

Yes the pickups on my 2662 are very thin with very little tension. It ran fine on DC, but initially on DCC it was a very poor runner. The pickups seem to go out of adjustment after some 30 mins of running. Finally after careful adjustment I managed to get sufficient tension in them to stay firmly against  all the wheels at full travel. DCC running was still not good. However after a day’s running at the Wimborne open day and all weekend at Frome on Pine Road it’s running better than ever. Only thought at the moment is that due to prolonged running any thin film on either the pickups or backs of the wheels has broken down.

Time will tell if they stay in adjustment, I have my doubts, Sheffield sound fitted one ordered as insurance. Long term I feel these pickups are going to prove the Achilles heel for these New Terriers.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Yankee said:

...Only thought at the moment is that due to prolonged running any thin film on either the pickups or backs of the wheels has broken down...

Sometimes I suspect there is a manufacturing residue on wheel surfaces but that  comes off quite quickly, it affects traction more than pick up. Polishing of both the tyres where they contact the rails, and each of the wiper contact spots and corresponding wheelback tracks is what brings most of the pick up reliability improvement. There may be a little work hardening going on too. (Affects the rails too, evidence of copper depletion in the 'worked' nickel silver rail surface after considerable accumulated use. Long ago I had access to an XRD and the composition difference of the alloy was significant; same rail, top running surface, compared to the foot.)

• Informative/Useful 1

I collected my model of  'Cowes'  today from the Bluebell Railway shop.

Mine also ran well straight out of the box and the finish is superb.

In addition to that I notice that Hornby have now altered the tanks and there is a representation of the recess in the top.

It might not be as deep as it should be but at least it is there. 

Well done Hornby for taking notice of all the comments.

Rodney

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, RodneyS said:

I collected my model of  'Cowes'  today from the Bluebell Railway shop.

Mine also ran well straight out of the box and the finish is superb.

In addition to that I notice that Hornby have now altered the tanks and there is a representation of the recess in the top.

It might not be as deep as it should be but at least it is there. 

Well done Hornby for taking notice of all the comments.

Rodney

I can't comment on the tank recess as I've not seen any photos from above looking down. However, it seems that the guard irons have been altered and look more prototypical which is a big plus!! 

The Isle of Wight Terriers in Southern Railway days were fitted for air brake only operation of fitted rollingstock. Unfortunately, as well as a Westinghouse air pump, the model representation of W10 Cowes has a vacuum ejector pipe fitted from the cab to smokebox and associated vacuum braking pipework below the running plate. This could be removed if required I guess.

Cheers

Andy.

• Informative/Useful 1

Regarding the tank tops Andy, I don't have any way of putting photos on here.

I wonder if Richard Long would be kind enough to oblige?

I don't model the Isle of Wight railways.  I only bought the model because of the large bunker and the Drummond chimney.

My 'cunning plan' was to repaint it BR black as 32640 or pretend that 'Cowes' had never been scrapped and had been bought by my mythical light railway.

However, now I have it I'm not sure I can bring myself to paint over such a superbly applied livery.

Rodney

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Regarding the tank tops Andy, I don't have any way of putting photos on here.

I wonder if Richard Long would be kind enough to oblige?

I don't model the Isle of Wight railways.  I only bought the model because of the large bunker and the Drummond chimney.

My 'cunning plan' was to repaint it BR black as 32640 or pretend that 'Cowes' had never been scrapped and had been bought by my mythical light railway.

However, now I have it I'm not sure I can bring myself to paint over such a superbly applied livery.

Rodney

Rodney

Despite some detail anomalies or omissions they are still a lovely little model. I can understand why you're loathed to repaint!!

Cheers

Andy.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

SECR Terrier, there is a little pack of pipes that comes with it, can someone say/show what to fit at the front to be correct for the time please?

If you start at the 2nd post from bottom of page 29 in the thread it should answer your question. 

Personally on mine I havent added the additional pipes to keep it in "vacuum braked" condition though it missing the front pipe which is a compromise in the tooling. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

i received my Cowes yesterday and overall really pleased with it, the couple of re-toolings bits done has made a difference to the overall look.

i currently have it fitted with a gaugemaster 6 min taken out of my ruston (had to chop the pins down).

50% of the time it's stalling on point work (wheels,pickups and track have had a good clean). i have also taken it to bits to ensure the pickups are in constant touch with the back of the wheels.

To me it looks like it's riding on the centre axle and the rear/front are not in contact. i'm testing it on a newly laid shutting section, so the base board is level and track laid onto (not glued/pinned yet), new track, new peco points etc (it's code 100 insulfrog points)

i intend to get a MX617N to hopefully improve running, my question is though has anyone installed a stay alive, i've read about sound fitting and odd comments about stay alive but no actually evidence of one fitted, i just can't see the space for one.

thanks inadvance

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2020 at 09:29, clarkeeboy56 said:

Interesting reading about others experiences here, particularly regarding the pick ups. I found them to be incredible flimsy. Initially mine were soon bent out of shape. My  attempt to straighten them met with disaster as one by one they snapped off! I managed to get a replacement set of pick ups plus chassis base, and have already "lost" one of the six! The other five are already bent out of shape and only occasionally touch the wheels as they should! Anyone have any thoughts on adaptions to improve this?

Add your own wheel wipers.

see Barry Ten's Blog

I've done several to this formula, works a treat

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

The release dates have been updated on the Hornby website. They are:

Summer

• R3823 LBSCR 45 Merton

• R3845 & R3845X LBSCR 40 Brighton

• R3846X LSWR 735

• R3847 & R3847X SR W14 Bembridge

Autumn

• R3846 LSWR 735
  • R3848 & R3848X BR 13 Carisbrooke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

In stock on the Hornby website:

• R3846X LSWR 735

All others are now due Summer

love the LSWR livery, but it's not even close to my era of running (well give 20 odd years maybe), i have cowes and it's a lovely model, should I, shouldn't I................

21 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

In stock on the Hornby website:

• R3846X LSWR 735

All others are now due Summer

R3845 & R3845X LBSCR 40 Brighton now also in stock on the Hornby website.

• Like 1