Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Pleased to oblige.

I don't have one of the new Hornby Terriers, but the loco on the left is one of the old

Hornby models. The Terrier on the right is the Rails example.

As they both have their origins with Dapol my image is a fair comparison of old and new.

P1240978.JPG

That is most interesting! Sold my 6 or 7 older ones ages ago to maximise their value before the newer ones flooded the market, so hadn't seen them together.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

For comparison of new Hornby vs Rails see the Rails Terrier forum pages

That about sums it up. I've learnt more of the Hornby Terrier there, than here.

it reads like a viking pillage, so much savagery.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2020 at 08:38, trevor7598 said:

Pleased to oblige.

I don't have one of the new Hornby Terriers, but the loco on the left is one of the old

Hornby models. The Terrier on the right is the Rails example.

As they both have their origins with Dapol my image is a fair comparison of old and new.

P1240978.JPG

IMHO the only true comparison is new Hornby v new Rails (/Dapol).

The old Dapol origin Hornby Terrier is yesterday's model.

I don't have either, I don't want either and I won't be buying either so don't have any loyalty but many of the posters on each site seem to be partisan, rather than objective.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to produce any Terriers in their A1X condition in the Improved Engine green livery, similar to what their Collector Club exclusive model was but as part of the main range? If they Did Stepney in this format I know I would jump at the chance to get one, as I'm sure a lot of other people would.

2 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

Does anyone know if there are any plans to produce any Terriers in their A1X condition in the Improved Engine green livery, similar to what their Collector Club exclusive model was but as part of the main range? If they Did Stepney in this format I know I would jump at the chance to get one, as I'm sure a lot of other people would.

We'll find out in the first week of Jan 2021

2 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

They do look a lot better with the wheels painted.  

A6B89FC3-8D5C-4D50-BCAD-8F7724F561BB.jpeg.1740876c58d82aaf34f75448d4db88a6.jpegCFEE389B-9595-4C77-B5AA-855C3121EF8E.jpeg.1a84407575ca64d9b00b955083a2af30.jpeg

Magnadhesion at it's finest....:jester:

PS: Looks like OO gauge has caught up with T gauge (for those who don't know, T gauge trains can run upside down).

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Let’s see...

I’ve copied the two photos, rotated and cropped them...

36B7E6A2-AF16-470B-8996-C5CF407E7351.jpeg.d67be036d87adb8cc0b72be85f4b2ffd.jpeg

C9F25A45-7A7B-49B3-A338-0284321A5433.jpeg.9495a4620a6a408d1fac8e694fc2e163.jpeg

Well, still the right way up!   ;)

Stepney as was...before the  Westinghouse pump was removed...nice.

This is my model, the same basically...but I have not painted the wheels...

A83B71EE-14B9-46ED-9DD2-F227BEBD3632.jpeg.b0311e7a29c8ff2a02e8797c1321405d.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added my loco....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

From what I've seen, this has happened a lot to people who use phones. So quite possibly a sit issue.

Mobile phones / tablets / etc have sensor that can identify which edge of the device is uppermost and automatically rotate the display such that the image / background / operating system is always displayed correctly with no user intervention. This altering of the DISPLAY does nothing to the stored images (i.e. its the same as fiddling with the contrast or brightness of a PC monitor) which of course which remain as taken on your device. You thus may not be aware the image is upside down when viewing it on your device.

A website on the other hand does not posses this ability (as that is a function of the device itself). If you thus take a picture with your phone upside down then that is how the image will be stored and if you upload it to a website then that upside down picture is what will be shown.

Simples!

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 1

I have found that RMweb expects the picture to be in landscape format. It also seems to expect that the picture will be taken with the 'Home' key on the right hand side, if not then the photo will appear to be upside down. It's easy enough to edit the photo on the camera so it is in the format that RMweb expects.

Thank you for the pictures and information about Hornby Terriers.  My picture shows my new Hornby Carisbrooke with some older Dapol and Hornby models for comparison with appropriate rolling stock.

Dapol 32640 as preserved on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway in the 1990s

Hornby 2 Freshwater in Southern olive green as running on the Freshwater and Yarmouth Railway.  There is a picture of Freshwater in the End of the Line cafe at Freshwater. It is now preserved on the isle of Wight Steam Railway as no 8.

Dapol 55 Stepney preserved on the Bluebell Railway.

Hornby 12 Ventnor in Southern malachite green as running on the Isle of Wight Central Railway

Hornby 13 Carisbrooke in early British Railways malachite green livery as running in the Isle of Wight.

Hornby 735 in LSWR green as running on the Lyme Regis branch.

Hornby 54 Waddon in LBSCR livery now preserved in Montreal, Canada.

I am looking forward to buying some Hattons four and six wheel coaches to run with these engines.

P1000016.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 05/11/2020 at 10:04, PenrithBeacon said:

I have found that RMweb expects the picture to be in landscape format. It also seems to expect that the picture will be taken with the 'Home' key on the right hand side, if not then the photo will appear to be upside down. It's easy enough to edit the photo on the camera so it is in the format that RMweb expects.

calculator.jpg.5caa6effd530ce56ff5be34ccac84895.jpg

A non-landscape image, straight from my pictures folder

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Interesting! I have just taken this photo on my new phone and it works or seems to. Perhaps there has an upgrade to the camera app

20201107_131402.jpg

Blimey, I didn't think the Terriers were THAT old :O

• Funny 3

On 18/01/2020 at 18:22, RodneyS said:

I collected my model of  'Cowes'  today from the Bluebell Railway shop.

Mine also ran well straight out of the box and the finish is superb.

In addition to that I notice that Hornby have now altered the tanks and there is a representation of the recess in the top.

It might not be as deep as it should be but at least it is there. 

Well done Hornby for taking notice of all the comments.

Rodney

From this post it is clear that Hornby have fixed the recess issue in the Terrier :D, very good.

I would like to buy a DCC Ready Terrier with the recess but it isn't at all clear from Hornby or retailer's websites which of the Terriers they have in stock has the recess and which ones don't. I'd be grateful for advice.

Cheers

EDIT : In particular i'd like to know about this one!

Edited by PenrithBeacon

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

That's a lovely little model railway you have there.

Any thoughts of 'town scenes' or 'rolling hills' or 'suburbia', etc - scenery sheets on the surrounding walls?  Or is that an 'agreed no go zone'?

Al.

Thank you very much, this one is a foldable layout so limited on permanent fittings, my original idea was to see how far I could take such a layout and Model Railways Unlimited charts this. Using green and blue screen etc has been very rewarding.

However I am in the early stages of planning a brand new layout with RME helping me.

Lots to look forward to, despite the sadness

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2