Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Bob C said:

I've not been on here very long..... but. Why are there no sound fitted Hornby Terriers? Dapol have done it.

The Internet - not least RMweb - is alive with allegations, accusations and suspicions that Hornby rushed out their Terrier to thwart a market rival. That may have limited their scope to design the model for easy sound-fitting. And the sound market isn't infinite - plenty of grumbles on RMweb about small OO locos now costing three figures, so adding sound hardly helps. 

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Internet - not least RMweb - is alive with allegations, accusations and suspicions that Hornby rushed out their Terrier to thwart a market rival. That may have limited their scope to design the model for easy sound-fitting. And the sound market isn't infinite - plenty of grumbles on RMweb about small OO locos now costing three figures, so adding sound hardly helps. 

Weren't Hornby working on sound for the Terrier?

I seem to recollect a TTS sound chip being developed and featuring on the Engine Shed blog some months ago...

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo

• RMweb Gold

Considering in typical Hornby fashion the Terrier can barely take standard DCC decoders I'd be very surprised if any consideration at all was given to sound options.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

In the Hornby Rockumentary a few years back, some scenes showed them recording the sounds of a a Terrier.. so they did some work as it was on the TV…

here 2 minutes in..

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x74frf8

talking of which, Hornby the Series is due soon.

https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-yesterday-channel-Hornby/

Since the first rockumentary, Hattons & Rails are no longer customers, covid came, so did a break-even year, a 100 year anniversary, and whats looking like a bit of a product drought this year.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

...Since the first rockumentary, Hattons & Rails are no longer customers, covid came, so did a break-even year, a 100 year anniversary, and whats looking like a bit of a product drought this year.

I'm not aware that Hattons are no longer a customer of Hornby. If any shop majoring on supplying RTR were to lose both Bachmann and Hornby, I'm pretty sure they'd be out of business fast. I think what is true is that apparently Hornby have 'demoted' the larger suppliers who also do their own production further down the supply chain. But they are still customers (but not Rails, of course, but that's a different story).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I'm not aware that Hattons are no longer a customer of Hornby. If any shop majoring on supplying RTR were to lose both Bachmann and Hornby, I'm pretty sure they'd be out of business fast. I think what is true is that apparently Hornby have 'demoted' the larger suppliers who also do their own production further down the supply chain. But they are still customers (but not Rails, of course, but that's a different story).

Pedantic, Semantics.

There are a lot of very unhappy people out there, who thought they were Hattons’ Hornby customers, and found out the hard way they werent any longer.

Edited by adb968008

• 1 month later...
On 14/01/2020 at 18:31, AJ'S said:

How did you remove the keeper plate? I undid the screws but could not get it off.

On 15/01/2020 at 22:41, Yankee said:

Yes the pickups on my 2662 are very thin with very little tension. It ran fine on DC, but initially on DCC it was a very poor runner. The pickups seem to go out of adjustment after some 30 mins of running. Finally after careful adjustment I managed to get sufficient tension in them to stay firmly against  all the wheels at full travel. DCC running was still not good. However after a day’s running at the Wimborne open day and all weekend at Frome on Pine Road it’s running better than ever. Only thought at the moment is that due to prolonged running any thin film on either the pickups or backs of the wheels has broken down.

Time will tell if they stay in adjustment, I have my doubts, Sheffield sound fitted one ordered as insurance. Long term I feel these pickups are going to prove the Achilles heel for these New Terriers.

Finally decided to do something about the light tension on the pick ups on my Terrier and remove the keeper plate for better access.

Hornby why do you glue the brake rods to the rear operating arm which is attached to the chassis making removal of the keeper plate so awkward. Luckily  the rods are not plastic so a little Glue Buster does the trick and then the plate can be removed.

I've tried increasing the tension by stroking the wipers rather than bending them, something you can't do without removing the keeper plate. Time will tell if I've been successful  

IMG_9694.jpeg

IMG_9695.jpeg

16 hours ago, Yankee said:

Hornby why do you glue the brake rods to the rear operating arm

I've just been dismantling mine, and there was no glue at all on the brake rods.

Same issue with the pick-ups. It's been run in for several hours, but put it back on the layout and it stutters and stalls. Put it upside down and touch wires to the wheels - same issue; put the same wires to the pick-ups - seemingly no problem at all.

I was thinking of soldering additional wires to the pick-up strips, but there are other layout (and work!) things to do first.

16 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Later Terriers have different pick ups which are more substantial. 

They can be retro fitted to the earlier examples. 

Rob. 

Thanks for the heads-up, Rob.

It's presumably not yet available as spares. (Although that I can't find it at the moment is not conclusive ... the only spares on eBay appear to be the same one I've got on 32636.)

It's a shame really, having taken it apart, the engineering is (IMO) a beautiful piece of work.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, DavidH said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Rob.

It's presumably not yet available as spares. (Although that I can't find it at the moment is not conclusive ... the only spares on eBay appear to be the same one I've got on 32636.)

It's a shame really, having taken it apart, the engineering is (IMO) a beautiful piece of work.

Have you tried Lendons in Cardiff for spares? 

No connection other than satisfied customer but they certainly hold a sizeable amount of Terrier pick-ups..........and their pricing is very reasonable, cheapest by far. 

They will know if this is available yet. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Have you tried Lendons in Cardiff for spares? 

No connection other than satisfied customer but they certainly hold a sizeable amount of Terrier pick-ups..........and their pricing is very reasonable, cheapest by far. 

They will know if this is available yet. 

Rob. 

I have asked Hornby in the recent past. The spares available at present are the older version, and the new ones are unlikely to be available as spares until the older ones are used up. Any spares you can find of the new version will have been removed from locos, rather than having started life as a spare.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/10/2021 at 13:56, DavidH said:

I've just been dismantling mine, and there was no glue at all on the brake rods.

Same issue with the pick-ups. It's been run in for several hours, but put it back on the layout and it stutters and stalls. Put it upside down and touch wires to the wheels - same issue; put the same wires to the pick-ups - seemingly no problem at all.

I was thinking of soldering additional wires to the pick-up strips, but there are other layout (and work!) things to do first.

Have checked again and the rods on mine are definitely glued on, will be getting another soon so will be interesting to compare.

22 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Later Terriers have different pick ups which are more substantial. 

They can be retro fitted to the earlier examples. 

Rob. 

Three X7425 sets purchased last week from Lendons, good service, but look no different, how can one tell apart. ?

IMG_9700.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, they do look substantially stronger than the originals, very helpful.

Following Fireline's post looks like no point at the moment searching out these new pickups.

Suppose we might have to wait until Hornby update their service sheet HSS 445B to get the new part number.

• Agree 1

Dunno about the Terrier but the pickups on my B2 Peckett were quite fragile so out of curiosity I offered them up to a magnet, and they stuck :o. Could Hornby be using tinplate on the assumption that "nobody" is going to take things apart? I've since replaced them with PB wire.

Cheers,

David

• Informative/Useful 2

On 20/10/2021 at 11:42, Fireline said:

I have asked Hornby in the recent past. The spares available at present are the older version, and the new ones are unlikely to be available as spares until the older ones are used up. Any spares you can find of the new version will have been removed from locos, rather than having started life as a spare.

If it is like the spares for all the other locos I won't hold my breath. Hornby don't seem to sell many spares for their latest batch of locos other than the odd ones that get left over from production. If you are interested for DCC I fitted the Zimo super small one to my Terrier it fits really easily. It is a bit expensive at £32 but it saves a lot of time. 

On 21/10/2021 at 00:34, davknigh said:

Could Hornby be using tinplate on the assumption that "nobody" is going to take things apart? I've since replaced them with PB wire.

I think that's what I'll probably do. Tinplate (or other metal foil?) certainly suggests why there is no "spring" in them.

On 20/10/2021 at 17:08, Yankee said:

Three X7425 sets purchased last week from Lendons, good service, but look no different, how can one tell apart. ?

IMG_9700.jpeg

I had similar problems with a German loco from Tillig, it appears the stamping of the 90° bend destroys the springiness of the fold and they soon just fold flat against the chassis. It really needed a radius so try on one of the spares gently rolling the pickup around round pencil, or similar, between the yellow lines so it curves out slightly more than the distance from chassis to wheel. 
F9D79DED-3E6C-472A-99D0-A26D15F4E911.jpeg.322283566755376207d70358056ef605.jpeg

Even if the 90° bend folds flat the curve should maintain contact. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Funny you should say that Paul, I came to the same conclusion.

Here is my attempt with the existing Keeper plate.

IMG_9704.jpeg.f09dbcf66c9c7d25f4bbcd55244e1dab.jpeg

And here is one of the replacement keeper plates once I have managed to remove the brake rods to transfer over.

IMG_9706.jpeg.14071572ad7f55574f11abfa20ce59fa.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...