ESU Loksound V5

40034_Nick

Hey Charlie... How long will it take for you and Lego to get files sorted for V5s ? and will the price of the soon to be old stock of V4s be going down ?

All V4 Files will go onto V5 Decoders.  So no issues.

We have 380 V4 Decoders in stock but as we sell 150 + per month this will not be happening.

Charlie

• RMweb Premium

The size and cost of the decoder are important too.

I would expect it to be similar in size to the existing range.

The 21 pin should be physically no larger than a certain size anyway - I believe that's part of the NMRA 21 pin specification.

And as ESU's 8 pin version was basically the same device with wires attached instead of a 21 pin socket, then I reckon that will be the same size also.

The same rules apply to Plux - there are physical size limits.

As for the Micro v5 - are they doing one?

The Hattons 66 is also due to be V5 fitted.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Would certainly be interested to know about the size of the V5 Micro, which is on the ESU website, albeit slightly a later release.

As it is Zimo have the slightly smaller decoder, but given the 'fun' shoehorning stuff into N gauge locos it would be nice to know the size.

• RMweb Premium

In layman's terms, what will this mean for the benefits of our sounds going forward? Is this a significant step forward in the evolution of the sound decoder?

• RMweb Gold

With the better sound sampling rate and 4 times the amount of memory you can store more and better sounds yes..... But only if your speakers are upto it.... Thats always been the issue in 00 and n gauge....

Significant step....... In terms of capacity its normal evolution.... 16 bit sampling rate...remains to be seen with the current speakers on offer

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With the better sound sampling rate and 4 times the amount of memory you can store more and better sounds yes..... But only if your speakers are upto it.... Thats always been the issue in 00 and n gauge....

Significant step....... In terms of capacity its normal evolution.... 16 bit sampling rate...remains to be seen with the current speakers on offer

Indeed, ESU do mention HiFi quality.........now all we need is HiFi quality 15mmx20mmx30mm speakers, I wonder if B&W or Kef will get into our market?   :laugh:  

• RMweb Gold

I believe the Accurascale will be fitted with a Loksound v5. 

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You are correct, our Deltic and future locos will feature the Loksound v5. In the case of the Deltic, the sound recording we did in the summer was with the V5 chip in mind. We can't give away too much yet, but it's part of a package that will help elevate the sound of our Deltics to a new level and one we are very excited about. 

Of course, speakers are just important, but we have thought of that too, so watch this space. :)

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine by the time the Deltic comes out the V5 will be the “normal” ESU decoder, so yes I believe your correct. :)

The Deltic project has been designed, chassis up, and speaker / PowerPack config hand in hand with ESU specifically for the LokSound 5 :)