ESU Loksound V5

40034_Nick

I am sure I read a release from ESU themselves about the new “HiFi” quality sound decoder.

But will it have greater memory ???

Have a look at the quote under the picture in post #427 on the thread. Hope this answers some questions.

• RMweb Premium

Little over a year ago , the now ancient V3.5 was still selling for around £100 ! on ebay and they were second-hand !

The mind boggles !

Interesting, because on this forum somewhere quite recently somebody enquired about a cheaper decoder and one of the well known suppliers offered a blown V3.5 for £55 brand new, unfortunately I cannot find the thread right now.

Interesting, because on this forum somewhere quite recently somebody enquired about a cheaper decoder and one of the well known suppliers offered a blown V3.5 for £55 brand new, unfortunately I cannot find the thread right n

Think it might have been Charlie at DC Kits ..

You can find them on sale for around £65/£70 but that's only been about a year 

Will v5 mean that we can have steam locos that chuff real hard going up hill without accelerating and them don't chuff at all when they go down hill?

No less possible than with current Lok v4.0, (or ZIMO) but just as dependent upon a good sound project being loaded and the operator knowing what's what.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will v5 mean that we can have steam locos that chuff real hard going up hill without accelerating and them don't chuff at all when they go down hill?

No less possible than with current Lok v4.0, (or ZIMO) but just as dependent upon a good sound project being loaded and the operator knowing what's what.

Best regards,

Paul

As Paul notes it's been possible for ages but most projects haven't had 'sound of power' switched on. With a lokprogrammer it's easy enough to switch on the load control and they also have a function that can be set to switch on the same sound of power for long uphill gradients if you want even more emphasis. The only thing lacking on the ESU chips was a truly separate brake, that is there with Zimo, so you can set large deceleration values and slow trains just on the brake. I haven't seen the specs for the V5 yet but I'm hopeful this will be one of the upgrades from this quote "uniquely flexible ESU function mapping. Three new, individually adjustable brake controls, as well as a two-stage heavy-load simulation"

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

The brake is already on ESU and has been for quite a while, its on most legomanbiffo projects and can be added to others easily with a lokprogrammer.

Richard

I believe the sound files are needed to add the independent brake files to the programme, then it is a matter of allocating a F key.

Mike

I believe the sound files are needed to add the independent brake files to the programme, then it is a matter of allocating a F key.

Mike

Correct.

You need the independent brake file (with or without sound in it) to use the braking on a F button.

So you need the created sound project to add it to it.

Wiggy.

Correct,

but some people confuse brake with independent brake. both are different.

Brake function means harder braking if throttle is being reduced.

ESU calls it dynamic brake since the V3.5.

Independent brake function means braking independent of throttle position.

Only the latter requires a file with or without sound, normal brake can be added by CV programming.

If brake squeal shall occur only when throttle is at zero you dont need an extra brake sound.

Wolf

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the rrp of the soon to be released V5? I ask as it would appear to me that supply of the V4 has dried up and wondering if it’s worth getting a couple of V4’s at what might be perceived to be a cheap price.

Does anyone know the rrp of the soon to be released V5? I ask as it would appear to me that supply of the V4 has dried up and wondering if it’s worth getting a couple of V4’s at what might be perceived to be a cheap price.

Should be the same as the v4 standard decoder and micro's slightly dearer.

Wiggy.

Edited by wiggy1

Which is this one? this is what I have added to a few and it works the same way as the braking function on Legomanbiffo decoders. The braking time can be adjusted in a separate page. It can be set on any function, I usually use 5, and the deceleration is noticeably quicker when 5 is pressed.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 20.50.18.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 20.50.54.png

Richard

Thats Dynamic braking not independant.

All most the same but if it works and you are OK with it then thats fine.

Wiggy.

• RMweb Gold

Should be the same as the v4 standard decoder and micro's slightly dearer.

Wiggy.

My above reply was to this post but every word has since been changed! I’m wondering what your reason for this is Wiggy?

• RMweb Gold

Which is this one? this is what I have added to a few and it works the same way as the braking function on Legomanbiffo decoders. The braking time can be adjusted in a separate page. It can be set on any function, I usually use 5, and the deceleration is noticeably quicker when 5 is pressed.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 20.50.18.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 20.50.54.png

Richard

Richard,

I don't have Bifs decoders but I'm pretty certain there would be sound slots for both the dynamic and independent brake in his programmes and would be allocated a F key.  Most applications of brake squeal apply when the loco comes to a stop and again has a sound slot.

Not all locos have dynamic braking, DB applies to the traction motors where applicable and slows the train down to idle when the function key is applied and speeds up on release.  Its worth checking the prototype for a particular model.

Mike

Thanks. Wonder when they will be available from legomanbiffo with updated sounds.

With a range of 50+ decoders to do, let us say 30 hours per new project to suit V5's then with a calculator work out  the time taken to get them done.!!!!!!!!!!

New upgrades will be done on the range as time permits.

Charlie

With a range of 50+ decoders to do, let us say 30 hours per new project to suit V5's then with a calculator work out  the time taken to get them done.!!!!!!!!!!

New upgrades will be done on the range as time permits.

Why don't you clone Biff and get them finished quicker ;-)

i Agree.. But we do love Goby charlie.. Funny watching him at shows..

Love you Charlie !!!!

Sometimes he pauses for breath !!!

A very knowledgeable man, and very trustworthy and helpful indeed.

I've never gone wrong when I have followed his advice.

Usual disclaimer etc.

Edited by Perfect Paul

Unless Brexit cocks up the value of the pound there should be no increases except on the new Micro's.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo)

Edited by charliepetty