Bachmann announce deferment of Prestwin and J39 update in OO and J72 and DP1 in N ahead of 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Bachmann Europe Plc prepares for 2019 Catalogue Launch

Following the relocation of our production facilities in China, we are pleased to report that the new facility is now operational, and progress is continuing apace on many forthcoming models – further updates on which will be provided at the launch of our 2019 catalogues on the 14th January. In preparing our new catalogues, we have identified a small number of models for which the current economic conditions do not favour further investment and therefore these items have regrettably been deferred from our range at this time.

The items are:

Graham Farish N scale

DP1 Deltic Diesel Locomotive (372-921)

NER Class E1/J72 Steam Locomotive (372-825/826/827/828)

Bachmann Branchline OO scale

LNER Class J39 Steam Locomotive (31-866/867)

Prestwin Twin Silo Wagon (38-290/291/292)

David Haarhaus, Managing Director, Bachmann Europe Plc said today “Whilst this announcement is not ideal, it is important that our resources are concentrated on those projects which are both desirable for our consumers and economically viable for our business. We shall continue to assess the market in the hope that these projects can become Bachmann models in the future – in particular the N scale J72, for which the cost of overcoming the particular challenges involved in producing such a diminutive locomotive in N scale are prohibitive. As with any Bachmann product, this model must not only be profitable for ourselves but also our factory, the network of Bachmann stockists both in the UK and abroad, and our international distributors too. Today’s announcement clears the way for our dedicated and experienced Research & Development Team to continue their work in bringing exciting new models to the market, many of which shall come to fruition this year.”

How glad am I that I picked up a cheap J11 some years past and force fitted the mechanism into a J39 body, whose chassis had gone the way of all intensively worked split chassis mechanisms. The wheelbase is a mind bogglingly awful scale inch overlength, and the motor does rather intrude into what should be airspace between frame tops and boiler underside; for which I have been too lazy/*otherwise occupied to devise a correction as yet. (*Not least due to having fun operating it.)

• Like 2

Pleased to hear that the new factory is up and operational and also the conclusion of the statement "......, many of which shall come to fruition this year"

Looking forward to 14.1.19 next.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Dapol may reconsider their "N" gauge J72? Frankly I find Bachmann's statement about the dificulty of producing this model incomprehensible—the J72 is no smaller than the "Terrier" which Dapol have done and larger than the DB class 333 "Kleinlok" which Arnold have done (and in 1:160, not 1:148).

Perhaps Bachmann should avoid cynical claims like this in future! If they announced at the same stage in the development process as Hornby, it would be an improvement.

• Like 4

Perhaps Dapol may reconsider their "N" gauge J72? Frankly I find Bachmann's statement about the dificulty of producing this model incomprehensible—the J72 is no smaller than the "Terrier" which Dapol have done and larger than the DB class 333 "Kleinlok" which Arnold have done (and in 1:160, not 1:148).

Perhaps Bachmann should avoid cynical claims like this in future! If they announced at the same stage in the development process as Hornby, it would be an improvement.

The full context of the quote is 'the cost of overcoming the challenges is prohibitive' in 'current economic conditions,' which is hardly a cynical claim.  Instead, it seems a frank and well substantiated one.

• RMweb Gold

Frankly I find Bachmann's statement about the dificulty of producing this model incomprehensible—the J72 is no smaller than the "Terrier" which Dapol have done and larger than the DB class 333 "Kleinlok" which Arnold have done (and in 1:160, not 1:148).

Dapol's Terrier is essentially just a motor on a chassis with limited haulage capability, not DCC'able unless you know what you are doing and dating from a time when this was still just about acceptable. These days Bachmann would be absolutely lambasted for releasing a model which was not at least DCC ready and I suspect they have faced issues in squeezing in the coreless motor, space for the DCC circuitry/chip and still have enough space for weight to enable it haul more anything more than 2 wagons. 

Rather than being cynical, it's probably more an open admission from Bachmann that the J72 is not currently achievable in N at the standards they have set and a price point that wouldn't result in histrionics on the forums. 

Tom.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The cynic in me can't help but think of the phrase 'good day to bury bad news' but I also recognise that Bachmann have been upfront about the shelving/postponement of the models when they could so easily just have said nothing and let the memory and prospect fade from public consciousness. Whilst like most here I know diddly squat about the business  of bringing rtr models to the marketplace I was a little surprised to find that 'current economic conditions do not favour further investment' in the prestwin. I thought that the received wisdom was that wagons viable as plastic kits would be viable as rtr models. Looking at the current Bachmann range of wagons it's peppered with vehicles also available as kits from (originally) Airfix and Parkside Dundas. Perhaps received wisdom isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I too wondered about the good day to bury bad news angle. When you’ve got your catalogue coming out in one week why specifically choose to tell us about deletions today?

Its a shame about the J39. Glad I bought a second hand LNER one now .

I was a little surprised to find that 'current economic conditions do not favour further investment' in the prestwin.

As I understand it, high cost of tooling and assembly would have meant a high RRP that the market may not have supported, think of the wailing about the last Presflo batches and add a bit more on top. Lack of liveries also a factor.

Yes I too wondered about the good day to bury bad news angle. When you’ve got your catalogue coming out in one week why specifically choose to tell us about deletions today?

Perhaps so it is less of an issue when Bachmann would prefer us focusing on any new models announced and positive updates on previous announcements?

Its a shame about the J39. Glad I bought a second hand LNER one now .

It is indeed a shame about the J39. I had that in my sights. As for Neil’s “…let the memory and prospect fade from public consciousness…” the cancelled Parallel Scot is showing no sign of fading from my consciousness. At least the re-tooled V2 hasn’t been dumped as yet. Should that happen, I shall have to seek therapy.

• Like 2

It is indeed a shame about the J39. I had that in my sights. As for Neil’s “…let the memory and prospect fade from public consciousness…” the cancelled Parallel Scot is showing no sign of fading from my consciousness. At least the re-tooled V2 hasn’t been dumped as yet. Should that happen, I shall have to seek therapy.

You still might given the price the V2 is probably going to come in at... 

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got no excuse now not to complete the three Prestwin I started prior to Bachmann announcement.

Saved me some cash so I can now spend on some of the Hornby models announced this morning.

Eltel

I was kind of expecting it with the J39 as there'd been no progress in the magazine and it still mentioned (chassis upgrade) when so many other models last year which were just due a chassis upgrade were now getting the full works.

I'm sure it'll be back in the range some day.

• RMweb Premium

A

A top quality high specification model of a V2 can come in at any price it needs to for me!

I think the problem is that not everyone who would like a V2 would be prepared for it to come in at any price. Any model has to be pitched at a price that sufficient will pay, for it to be viable to produce.

I was a little surprised to find that 'current economic conditions do not favour further investment' in the prestwin. I thought that the received wisdom was that wagons viable as plastic kits would be viable as rtr models.

If I remember correctly the Prestwin Bachmann announced was the earlier diagram (with 10 ft w.b.) like the Hornby Dublo (later Wrenn) model rather than the Airfix kit.

I think the problem is that not everyone who would like a V2 would be prepared for it to come in at any price. Any model has to be pitched at a price that sufficient will pay, for it to be viable to produce.

A good point. Mine was that the dearth of recent RTR announcements for the LNER means that I would be prepared to pay more than I might have for something really bang on target as far as my interests are concerned. Back to your point - I trust in Bachmann to get their sums right on this, so it's fingers crossed! 

If I remember correctly the Prestwin Bachmann announced was the earlier diagram (with 10 ft w.b.) like the Hornby Dublo (later Wrenn) model rather than the Airfix kit.

Yes, and where would they get the information to produce a model to the quality and accuracy standards the forum warriors expect? Very complicated and as mentioned not many dramatic liveries; none in conservation. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brprestwin/e11a8555d

Paul [who measured the later Prestwin and knows just how complex these wagons are]