Bachmann announce deferment of Prestwin and J39 update in OO and J72 and DP1 in N ahead of 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Bachmann have had poor outcomes 'both ways'. They changed policy on their split chassis renewals after the complete new tooling for the Jubilee proved disappointing in  retail return. (Fine model it remains.) They switched to mechanism only renewals after that.

My opinion is that many of the Mainline models were good and well liked for appearance (and the Jubilee one of the best of them) and with tens of thousands 'out there' s/h prices were depressing the realisable sale price of the all new successor. I feel this applies in spades to the smaller models like the J72 (and J39 though it was never a Mainline release) which being lighter tend to be less affected by the weaknesses of the split chassis design; and have suggested to Bachmann that alternative models might be a better choice. Specifically the J69 and J6 for those two, neither having ever had a RTR OO model, and both with very specific attractions. They were polite, but clearly not much interested in the idea...

It is startling that a Group Standard 0-6-0 used throughout the LNER system is not a viable product when J11s, J15s, J36s and the Black Motor 0-6-0 are . I know the Hornby 0-6-0s have been early candidates for discounting, though.

It may be that Barwell believes a few years out of the catalogue , and the self-destruction of more of the previous model, are required to generate sufficient demand for a new model. I can't help wondering if a similar logic has been applied to classes 158/170 …..

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann have had poor outcomes 'both ways'. They changed policy on their split chassis renewals after the complete new tooling for the Jubilee proved disappointing in  retail return. (Fine model it remains.) They switched to mechanism only renewals after that.

My opinion is that many of the Mainline models were good and well liked for appearance (and the Jubilee one of the best of them) and with tens of thousands 'out there' s/h prices were depressing the realisable sale price of the all new successor. I feel this applies in spades to the smaller models like the J72 (and J39 though it was never a Mainline release) which being lighter tend to be less affected by the weaknesses of the split chassis design; and have suggested to Bachmann that alternative models might be a better choice. Specifically the J69 and J6 for those two, neither having ever had a RTR OO model, and both with very specific attractions. They were polite, but clearly not much interested in the idea...

As they only produced the Jubilee in the short firebox variant, being just over half of the class in number, the disappointing sales are hardly surprising. 

It is startling that a Group Standard 0-6-0 used throughout the LNER system is not a viable product when J11s, J15s, J36s and the Black Motor 0-6-0 are . I know the Hornby 0-6-0s have been early candidates for discounting, though.

It's not always the case the the viability of a single product is so cut and dried.

Other considerations that can cause a delay or cancellation include what else is scheduled to be available for the target market, thus reducing sales due to conflicts on how to spend the £s available, juggling the available productions slots or even giving a slot to another product that can produce a quicker return on the capital outlay.

It may be that Barwell believes a few years out of the catalogue , and the self-destruction of more of the previous model, are required to generate sufficient demand for a new model. I can't help wondering if a similar logic has been applied to classes 158/170 …..

The 158 is scheduled for sometime around July according to an October update that was posted here, and given they showed a second EP of the 158 at the end of August it should show up this year assuming no other issues come up to cause more delays I would think.

I have to agree with the comments about retooled chassis for the J39 and do we need one. I think the desire is from most for something new and exciting. I have 3 J39’s. A pain to convert to DCC but not impossible. I would prefer a few J27’s or J21’s now.

I have to agree with the comments about retooled chassis for the J39 and do we need one. I think the desire is from most for something new and exciting. I have 3 J39’s. A pain to convert to DCC but not impossible. I would prefer a few J27’s or J21’s now.

• RMweb Premium

Actually I believe the last new chassis redo was the Ivatt tank which rightly got lambasted for its ancient tooling body on the new chassis at an unjustifiable high price.

Bachmann seems to have quietly dropped the rechassis program since then.

I must admit I am disappointed about the J72, especially as the Bachmann Farish one killed off the Dapol effort, not that announcements at Dapol are ever a guarantee of anything actually being made anyway. I am not living in hope that the sidelining of the J72 means that something else that is currently a secret is in development for N, something they think will sell much better and be easier to produce. I put my hopes and logical predictions on it being a V2, surely a new version of this to replace the previous model is long overdue and fits in with R&D currently being done for a new 00 version.

Perhaps if any retailers with some serious money in their back pockets are reading this, why not try and get the J72 back on but as your own exclusive model? if I had the money I know i'd try and back a reboot, especially as there are so few small engines in N, and so few the same quality as the Farish 64xx or Jinty, which surely the J72 would live up to.

• Agree 1

The 158 is scheduled for sometime around July according to an October update that was posted here, and given they showed a second EP of the 158 at the end of August it should show up this year assuming no other issues come up to cause more delays I would think.

I have just checked the Bachmann Availability list and the 158 is still shown as July. But the existence of an EP is no guarantee of timescale, as I have discovered with the 2 HAP, which now shows TBA in the timescale, having been originally Jan 19, then June 19, until recently.

I have just checked the Bachmann Availability list and the 158 is still shown as July. But the existence of an EP is no guarantee of timescale, as I have discovered with the 2 HAP, which now shows TBA in the timescale, having been originally Jan 19, then June 19, until recently.

Wasn't the three-car EP available for viewing at Warley?  I can't find my photos just now but feel sure it was there, unless my senility's kicking-in again.

Wasn't the three-car EP available for viewing at Warley?  I can't find my photos just now but feel sure it was there, unless my senility's kicking-in again.

I am not sure which class you mean, but the 2 car 158 and 2 HAP EP's were definitely there - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131275-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-2018-24th-and-25th-november/page-15&do=findComment&comment=3376278

I recall so was the class 159? Which may be the three car you mean?

I am not sure which class you mean, but the 2 car 158 and 2 HAP EP's were definitely there - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131275-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-2018-24th-and-25th-november/page-15&do=findComment&comment=3376278

I recall so was the class 159? Which may be the three car you mean?

You're right Mike, it was the 159 I was thinking of!

• RMweb Gold

Actually I believe the last new chassis redo was the Ivatt tank which rightly got lambasted for its ancient tooling body on the new chassis at an unjustifiable high price.

Bachmann seems to have quietly dropped the rechassis program since then.

But they do have a nice chassis to tool up for the 84xxx BR Standard ;)

Here's a left field thought, what if Hornby are already quite far down the line of a brand new J39 and Bachmann got wind of it  and have decided to throw in the towel ...... :O  :jester:  :locomotive:

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2019 at 14:32, RedgateModels said:

Here's a left field thought, what if Hornby are already quite far down the line of a brand new J39 and Bachmann got wind of it  and have decided to throw in the towel .

Just wondering how similar a J39 chassis is to the J27 that Oxford are doing...

Odd that Bachmann have abandoned the OO J39 retool, but are introducing a fresh set of N gauge J39s...

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Clarification.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:25, D9020 Nimbus said:

Odd that Bachmann have abandoned the OO J39 retool, but are introducing a fresh set of N gauge J39s...

Not really odd, the OO model was a new chassis (not sure if it was a new chassis or full body as well) that required investment to produce, whereas the N gauge model was already made so they are just making use of tooling they have ready to go