A new Triang clerestory? (or just an apparition?)

The original (c 1960s) Triang panelled non-brake clerestory was a 7-compartment '2nd', and somewhat fictional.

The following image is from Andy Y's Hornby 2019 product announcement thread. It is an 8-compartment 3rd. If this image is to be believed, it is a 46'6" x 8' diagram C3, one of the most numerous GWR coaches ever produced. (albeit with incorrect bogies of course, as per the original Triangs.)

But I can't believe the image is true. I don't believe Hornby would or could copy the old tooling characteristics in this way.

post-133-0-00781400-1546875265.jpg

• Like 1

The original (c 1960s) Triang panelled non-brake clerestory was a 7-compartment '2nd', and somewhat fictional.

The following image is from Andy Y's Hornby 2019 product announcement thread. It is an 8-compartment 3rd. If this image is to be believed, it is a 46'6" x 8' diagram C3, one of the most numerous GWR coaches ever produced. (albeit with incorrect bogies of course, as per the original Triangs.)

But I can't believe the image is true. I don't believe Hornby would or could copy the old tooling characteristics in this way.

attachicon.gifHornby-8-compartment-clerestory3rd.jpg

This has only got 7 compartments as per the old Hornbys, although in the image they look closer together than the actual model.

Chris KT

And at £17.50 an absolute steal if you want something that represents older GWR stock.

The corridor clerestories are over £30 each, this however is a very reasonable price for something that looks the part even if it is fictional.

Edit: spelling mistake

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

Nope, it shows something cheap and cheerful that a lot of people might like to cut/shut or simply run on their railway.

If it’s cheap and cheerful why isn’t it Railroad as the example quoted by Miss Prism. The brakes are very different vehicles.

Does Andy’s post #8 in the original Hornby announcement show something different, and non-Railroad?

Andy's post 8 contains the 8'6"-wide corridor clerestories, with faux-panelling, and with a fancy repaint, which is presumably why they are not classed as railroad. They are semi-cheap-and-cheerful.

It looks like some new Hornby thing. The generic* Tri-ang buffers have been replaced by the awful plastic locomotive bufferheads. Not a great loss, as they have to go anyway!

Interesting, as it has an 8 compartment roof which must be new. It could be an artist's impression or a 'cut and shut' as it still has the end compartments with an overwidth panel against the end of the carriage. At least it now appears to be 'chocolate and cream' rather than 'chocolate and yellow'.

We will have to wait and see... A seven or eight compartment third would be useful!

* 'Generic' as in 'like nothing on earth'.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Well I for one am glad to see them back for two reasons. Firstly they're good to have back on general sale for us clerestory-bashers out there but hopefully they'll also bring the second hand prices back to reasonable levels.

• Like 1

Andy's post 8 contains the 8'6"-wide corridor clerestories, with faux-panelling, and with a fancy repaint, which is presumably why they are not classed as railroad. They are semi-cheap-and-cheerful.

We might just be able to get away with this version, though I assume the third still has a lavatory where there should be a compartment*. However it's about time that they retooled these carriages. If they could panel them in the sixties, there was no excuse in the eighties. I was going to replace my old CCW kit and buy at least three or four, but the flat sides put me off and it still survives. One session of panelling was enough....

* IIRC, they were rebuilt on the abolition of 2nd class. Originally they were 2nd/3rds. My CCW was originally a 1st/2nd.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having looked at the image of the 7-compartment coach alongside (or rather above) that of the brake coach in Hornby's publicity photo, as reproduced in Andy's post, I'm convinced that the image has been made by a bit of digital cut-and-shuttery from the passenger end of the brake coach, with the length stretched. The narrow panels between the windows are a give-away. The clerestory roof has received the same treatment, but compressed rather than stretched - somebody didn't bother to count.

I'm in no position to criticise. I've tried making a C10-like carriage from two Triang brake thirds but owing to a mis-count I ended up with a 7-compartment third rather than an 8-compartment one! Since it was for a freelance project, that didn't really matter - in fact it was better.

I've been using these recently to try to develop my lining skills. One thing this has brought to my notice is that the fixed quarter-lights don't have proper bolection mouldings, projecting above the level of the panelling (as the Ratio 4-wheelers do); the window surrounds are simply set in the same plane as the panelling.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Well I for one am glad to see them back for two reasons. Firstly they're good to have back on general sale for us clerestory-bashers out there but hopefully they'll also bring the second hand prices back to reasonable levels.

I've bought half a dozen in the past year, none for more than a tenner. Admittedly as hacking fodder and in various liveries - but all bar one were pretty decent. 

John

I’ve done the same John and I’ve not spent more than a tenner on any of them either. Quite a few came with quite good boxes. I’ve an ersatz D10 build sitting in the wings and am currently working on a sort-of ex-Cambrian composite.

But as has been said, hopefully this re-re-release will reduce the eBay prices for second hand surgery fodder. But I doubt it!!!

Tony

• Like 1

I've not seen them round here for less than £7 (With one exception when I found some by chance for £1 each!), and given that one generally needs at least two for any bashing project, £14 is a bit much for a poor-quality coach that I've bashed.

• RMweb Gold

I have 3, 2 brake 3rds and the all 2nd (downgraded to 3rd) to represent a South Wales miner's workman's set as running in the 1950s.  Liveries are Rule 1 inspired, a brake 3rd in well weathered pre 1942 shirtbutton and the other 2 in austerity all-brown.  I've worked them up a little; glazed clerestory lights, new buffers, new wheels, compartment dividers, seats, and I've made ersatz Dean 8'6" bogies out of the Triang B1s by cutting out the tie bar and making footboards out of Sainsbury's cafe coffee stirrers cut in half lengthways and superglued on; you cut out rebates over the axleboxes which gives you better purchase for the glue.  I am happy enough with them but would replace them with something more scale if it was available RTR.

• Like 1

The fact that Hornby can still produce these coaches more than fifty years after they first appeared gives me a certain 'all is well with the world' feeling. They must be among the most modified/butchered coaches in the history of model railways.

Maybe the Railway Modeller could be persuaded to re-run Terry Goughs' legendary ( to me anyway) series of articles on converting them to represent various coaches that ran on Southern Railways.

Don't focus on the GWR aspect; even the great Peter Denny repainted a set to represent Great Central coaches to run on his Buckingham line.

Lesser people, including me, have converted them to represent all forms of exotica, including these to represent 60' coaches built by the Great Southern Railway (Ireland).

Cheers,

Glover

post-5229-0-85330300-1547224497_thumb.jpeg

post-5229-0-54735400-1547224531_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Thanks Tony.

Not 21mm unfortunately ; I'm a few mil short......(about four and a half). Like most modellers of Irish railways, I have to make do with (very) narrow gauge but since the layout is at eye level and all views are side-on, I can live with it.

Cheers,

Glover

Thanks Tony.

Not 21mm unfortunately ; I'm a few mil short......(about four and a half). Like most modellers of Irish railways, I have to make do with (very) narrow gauge but since the layout is at eye level and all views are side-on, I can live with it.

Cheers,

Glover

It fooled me! it must be seeing all those 00 models sitting on H0 track.

Probably nobody is interested, but this is my CCW carriage;

post-6780-0-78790400-1547230439_thumb.jpg

I have several conversions of Tri-ang clerestories, but I'm not sure any are fit for publication. The CCW dates from the early seventies and nothing has been done to it since.

post-6780-0-58562500-1547230467_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Like New York (It's so good, they had to name it twice!), the photo has loaded twice and it won't let me edit it.  :scratchhead:

To Diagram E73, the bogies, buffers and door/clerestory ventilators are K's and the couplings and wheels (EM) are Romford (the latter were very expensive and bought for a locomotive from W&H). The gangways I can't remember (MJT?) and the lamp tops are cheesehead screws and washers. The photo tells me I should do something about the windows, which weren't stamped out very well, but this job is very low priority (as in leave well alone!). The mouldings are cut from black PVC insulating tape and varnished. I wasn't sure of its durability at the time but it's lasted nearly fifty years so it must have been OK. It took ages and I'm not keen on a repeat. I have a King's Cross 70 foot carriage bought about the same time. (an early steel panelled toplight that wasn't - E102), but that never got finished.

post-6780-0-88567900-1547232911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1