Hornby 2019 HSTs - GWR, Scotrail, Cross Country and LNER - Correct Coach formations for full rake of 8/9 coaches?

hamish_barb

Hi all,

Hornby's 2019 has personally been amazing for me as I mainly collect HSTs along with some other diesels/EMUs. However, only being a year or two into the hobby, I'm a bit confused as to why there are so many MK3 Coaches (however, that could turn out to be a good thing, I'll explain below).

As such, I collect HSTs and run their full prototypical rakes on my (soon to be) layout. I try to collect 2x of each HST and coaches so that I have 2 sets running in opposite directions from one another.

Therefore, could someone please advise the correct 8x/9x MK3 coaches to get for each of the NEW GWR, Scotrail, Cross Country and LNER HSTs? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Darrel's comments about the ScotRail HSTs is spot on.  At the moment they are operating as four-car sets, although I have seen only one with the refurbished Mk 3s.  The other units are in a variety of liveries at present - coaches ex-FGW in dark blue with/without wavey lines; ex GWR in current green/silver - none of these are refurbished.  Some of the power cares are in the new livery.  It'll be worth keeping an eye on the prototype discussions here for updates on new formations, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

Thanks chaps.

So for the scotrail set, I understand it operates as a 5 car set, therefore I’ll get one of each coach.

However, are the GWR, Cross country and LNER HSTs not operating as normal 8 or 9 coach consists? If so, could someone guide me as to what coaches to get for them?

Thanks

GWR should be a 2+4 rake

Scotrail should be a 2+4 or 2+5 rake

And Cross Country should be a 2+7 rake

Would be easier if Hornby had the coach numbers on as we could probably tell you the exact formations but I think the reason why they have loads of coaches is probably because they are planning on doing 2 HST rakes per livery.. Which is also why they havent put coach numbers up yet

The LNER set is straight forward as they are doing the full set of 9 coaches to go with the power cars from what I can see. Great to see this again as last time on the VTEC there were less so a few need renumbering to make the full sets. This livery certainly sold very well last time.

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

The LNER set is straight forward as they are doing the full set of 9 coaches to go with the power cars from what I can see. Great to see this again as last time on the VTEC there were less so a few need renumbering to make the full sets. This livery certainly sold very well last time.

Cheers

Mark

I’ve preordered the LNER Mk III’s to go with my VTEC set. Once I’ve got those, I’ll get extra LNER Mk III’s to renumber and make up two full sets.

Cross Country's are usually TGS, TS(D), TS, TS, TS, TCC, TF(D), I'm assuming formation will not be changed on the sets with updated doors.

Believe GWR's will be TGS, TS(D), TS, TS.

Cross country is still the same formation with 1 set going in at a time at Doncaster. 

Thanks everyone!

Technically speaking though, if say for example I wanted to create a 8 car rake for the 4-car Scotrail HST service, what coaches would I get? Would I get the normal 4 coaches twice? Or would I get those prototypical 4 coaches and get a 3 more Standard open coaches (TSO) and a First class coach (TF) for example?

• 1 year later...
On 08/01/2019 at 20:10, hamish_barb said:

Thanks everyone!

Technically speaking though, if say for example I wanted to create a 8 car rake for the 4-car Scotrail HST service, what coaches would I get? Would I get the normal 4 coaches twice? Or would I get those prototypical 4 coaches and get a 3 more Standard open coaches (TSO) and a First class coach (TF) for example?

You can see the whole rakes on our site, but to answer this (somewhat late sorry - but coaches due in next week or two!) You would probably want a 5 car rake (HA25 or 26 from our site) with additional 3 TS. The First is a converted TGS with catering addded, so it's unlikely they'd add to of them if they ever ran an 8 car rake.

You can purchase both full 4 and 5 car rakes from us:

https://www.kmsrailtech.co.uk/141-rakes

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KMS Railtech said:

You can see the whole rakes on our site, but to answer this (somewhat late sorry - but coaches due in next week or two!) You would probably want a 5 car rake (HA25 or 26 from our site) with additional 3 TS. The First is a converted TGS with catering addded, so it's unlikely they'd add to of them if they ever ran an 8 car rake.

You can purchase both full 4 and 5 car rakes from us:

https://www.kmsrailtech.co.uk/141-rakes

Thanks

Mike

Almost but not quite- the Scotrail 406xx First/catering car is converted from a TF.

Before anyone hacks about or spends money there is still a chance that the fifth coach won't happen, or if it does happen it will be in the form of a TGS (rather than a 4th TS) thus giving six extra bike spaces and halving the amount of sliding doors needed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Almost but not quite- the Scotrail 406xx First/catering car is converted from a TF.

Before anyone hacks about or spends money there is still a chance that the fifth coach won't happen, or if it does happen it will be in the form of a TGS (rather than a 4th TS) thus giving six extra bike spaces and halving the amount of sliding doors needed.

Indeed a number of TGS's were recently moved to Wabtec Doncaster. These could either be for spares or to be converted as the 5th vehicle - Which I hope is the case as the dedicated van space will solve the bike storage issue the current sets do have. 

• Like 1