New Lenz PC Interface

Interesting new interface for the Lenz Xpressnet system.

Also the new Touch Cab for Lenz as well for use on the IPhone / ITouch is announced.

http://www.digital-p...italplus_pc.php

Hi Andy, the TouchCab for Lenz been mentioned in a couple of threads already...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/1693-ecoscontrol-radio/page__st__75

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/14017-i-have-the-lenz-100-where-do-i-go-next/

Great news for anyone wanting wireless handsets for their Lenz system. icon_thumbsup2.gif

• RMweb Premium

I can't help but feel disappointed. From what I can tell, this is just a variation on the previously possible set up of a Windows PDA running Kam Industries software, the LI-USB and a PC with a router/wireless access point (that's been around for years). The diagram suggests that it still requires a PC/Mac to work. I have been hoping they'd get away from that, but it seems Lenz is still trying the shortcut route. The biggest problem with keeping the PC/Mac in the loop is the potential for network lag due to the computer doing something else, meaning that just when you need accurate timing when coupling up, what you potentially actually get is a 'slam' into the vehicles being coupled to, then a stop.

In my mind, welcome though this is, it is no replacement for a proper new handset working directly via a wireless interface with the command station itself.

Even if my German was up to it I probably wouldn't understand this fully, but from the diagram it looks like if you just want the wireless interface you only connect the router. The PC looks like a separate device as if connected by a LI-USB, rather than something the instructions have to go through on the way from the wireless to the command station.

Google translation....

The new interface - USB and Ethernet

The new Digital plus - Interface offers next to the USB port on an Ethernet interface. Thus, the system can be connected to a PC or to a router. This opens up exciting new possibilities of the model train control system, for example, the wireless iPod control with one or iPhone:

Connect the new digital interface plus on-Net Xpress with headquarters and via Ethernet to a router. With an iPhone or iPod and the digital TouchCab plus customized software, you can now wirelessly control your model railroad!

Of course you can with the new interface functions such as CV-editor and locomotive controller on PC!

Edwin is right. The PC/Mac doesn't need to be switched on for the wireless connection to work.

At home I can access the internet on my TV and listen to internet radio stations/Last FM etc on my internet radio, without any computers switched on. All it needs is for the wireless router/modem to be working and the broadband connection to be operating normally.

The same principle applies with this interface and the wireless router; i.e. the set-up will work without the computer being switched on.

Here is the TouchCab news page that explains it it English.... http://www.touchcab.com/news.html

Here in full.....

Intermodellbau Dortmund

Wednesday, 14 Apr, 2010In november 2009, TouchCab announced on this page that the next digital system supported would be Lenz and XpressNet.

Today, at the Intermodellbau fair in Dortmund, Lenz Elektronik is announcing a new product - the Digital Plus Interface - which interfaces the XpressNet bus to USB and LAN (ethernet).

This new device is the way TouchCab will interface to XpressNet without using a PC to convert the data signals. The new Lenz interface is simply connected to a wireless ethernet router, and that is all you need.

At the Lenz booth at the Intermodellbau fair, TouchCab is being used to demonstrate the possibilities when using an ethernet-enabled model railroad.

While there are wireless handheld controllers on the market using various other technologies, wireless ethernet (WiFi) is standard technology with a potentially very large installed base. Almost any modern smartphone on the market has built-in WiFi and with the right software, the connection to the command station is as simple as plugging it in.

While the current version of TouchCab does not feature XpressNet support, this will be provided through a free update when the new Lenz product hits the market.

Hi Ron, yes its been talked about before but this is the first time it's been officially associated with the Lenz system and the Xpressnet in this way with the new interface. Worth mentioning me. thinks.

And yes, quite right, no PC needed to use.

It will be interesting to see how the new V4 firmware and this new interface all goes together to solve some of the problems associated with the way info is broadcast over the Xpressnet.

I mention this as there is a minor problem with Lenz and RR&Co with the handover between the software and hardware for control purposes. We will see once more info comes out on this.

But things are looking a tad better for Lenz, just need an upgrade to the LH100 now.

• RMweb Premium
This new device is the way TouchCab will interface to XpressNet without using a PC to convert the data signals. The new Lenz interface is simply connected to a wireless ethernet router, and that is all you need.

I stand corrected, this is obviously better than the previous incarnation, however not everyone has an iPhone or iPod Touch so it would be nice to see the same kind of control software for Windows and Android-based mobile devices.

If the makers of said software make it for the Iphone and other Apple products and if they want to carry on doing so, they wont be doing it for Windows or other platforms as Apple will spit its dummy out and ban them from being on their Apps list.

RR&Co have been a victim of this stunt recently

.....however not everyone has an iPhone or iPod Touch....

That seem as good a reason as any not to buy one, or an iPhone/Pod to use it on.

Maybe not much use if you don't already have one of these devices, but lots of people do. They've sold tens of millions of them worldwide, many here in the UK.

Amongst my work colleagues, family and friends, it seems almost every other person and his Grandmother has an iPhone.

In our house there's one iPhone and 2 iPod Touch's amongst all the other phones and iPods.

Sooner or later the brats will be upgrading to the newest version and I'll get my hands on at least one of the darn things.

p.s. Actually they're fantastic pieces of kit.

• RMweb Gold

I use both the iPhone and iPod Touch on the layout, the only problem with the iPhone is the chance you get a phone call mid operation, this hasnt happened so far.

When you consider you can get an 8GB iPod Touch for £150 or less, it costs about the same if not less than proprietary wireless cabs and when you have a quiet period you can switch on some music or watch a train video! You can't do that on a ESU wireless handset!

Peter

I managed to get my son's Itouch off him when I bought him the Iphone for Xmas so the chance to play for me was a cheap option. But it does seem a reasonable way into hands free operation with the added advantage of music and other functions that are one the Itouch / Iphone.

But as Peter says, must be a bit worrying if you get a call mid shunt at the end of the plank :O

Update on the TouchCab for Lenz situation (with thanks to Jens).

If I may take the liberty of copying the following post across from another thread in this section......

I know wink.gif

The project is certainly not stalled, but presently I have some time to add a few new features and fix a few bugs with TouchCab as it is. ESU has made changes in the ECoS 2 and those changes break certain features in the current version of Touchcab. Worse, the same changes will be added to the coming release of the ECoS 1 firmware, so I need to sort it out.

After that, work begins for XpressNet support, and there is a lot of work to do. Bear in mind that contrary to the ECoS, Lenz boxes have no built in user interface, so - in preparation for situations where TouchCab may be the only controller on the layout, you should be able to do "everything" from TouchCab, and a lot of those things are brand new (for TouchCab anyway). So lots of coding and lots of fun ahead. TouchCab for XpressNet will be available more or less at the same time the new Lenz interface is released.

Best regards

Jens

TouchCab

• RMweb Premium

If the makers of said software make it for the Iphone and other Apple products and if they want to carry on doing so, they wont be doing it for Windows or other platforms as Apple will spit its dummy out and ban them from being on their Apps list.

If this is truly the case then it probably means Lenz are getting into bed with Apple, which immediately loses them (that is, Lenz) my custom. Apple are worse than Microsoft for anti-competitive practices (look at the recent issues with Adobe Flash). :angry: I so want to write something very angry and inflammatory about this but can't due to forum ettiquette.

Looks like my Lenz kit will be coming up for sale earlier than I'd planned (LH100, LZV100, LI-USB plus a few bits and bobs), and I'll be transferring over to Zimo once their new kit makes it to market.

Edit: Have been for a walk and calmed down a bit now. See later post for follow up.

Nothing to do with Lenz at all.

TouchCab uses the Apple products. Suggest you aim your comments at them or at Apple for their attitude towards other platforms which forces developers into this situation.

Good luck with Zimo.

• RMweb Gold

I think it is fair to say that Lenz have an excellent record regarding open systems and putting their technology in the public domain. The definitions of DCC were primarily from Lenz originally and XpressNet is also clearly defined and publicly available. i'm sure we shall see this with the TCP/IP side of this new interface and would expect to see a number of devices become available. I would assume based on past experience that the JMRI would have definitions within a week!

Don't sell the Lenz kits based on your (completely understandable) concerns over Apple's practices.

David

• RMweb Premium

Having been for a walk and calmed down a bit, I realize now that the software availability for different mobile handsets isn't as such anything to do with Lenz, so apologies to them (not that they likely to be reading this).

My ire towards Apple is still fairly strong, though it has to be said now that there are plenty of other development houses out there that could do a non-Apple based program for Windows or Andriod based handsets, so even the developers of TouchCab don't as such deserve any of my ire.

I do feel though that Lenz's LH100 desperately needs replacing with something more user friendly. That's why I've had Zimo kit on my mind. It doesn't help that the LZV100 ends up needing replacing with an LZV200(?) if full advantage of RailCom is to be taken, because that effectively means replacing my Lenz system anyway. It just depends if I replace it with Lenz or Zimo. Time will tell.

I wouldn't get too het-up about Apples attitude to Flash either. The sooner its got rid of the better.

I also had a certain antipathy towards Apple and their protectionist attitude, but that was only founded on hearsay and reading the comments (mostly from hostile IT types) on forums and feedback pages. Now I know different. On the advice of many defectors to the Mac platform, several who are hardened IT types) I bought a Mac 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I also have an iPod Touch and think it's a blilliantly conceived piece of equipment.

Don't forget Ian that there is an upgrade path being offered for the LZV100 to LZV200. But I do agree about the LH100, it does need a big make over.

I have two to do but will certainly give it a go first before going deciding my next step in going for ESU or staying with Lenz.

For me though my thinking is that at the moment almost all my operations are handled by RR&Co and the Smarthand so I don't need the display on the ECoS. It would in some ways be just a very nice new toy and not used as it should be. I can apply this thinking to the LH100 as well as I dont use it unless programming or tweaking something and for this it does the job.

As for railcom, what is it that you want from it. Perhaps the Lenz route and Railcom could offer what you need without going to all the trouble and expense of changing over to Zimo.

As for the Mac v PC argument. This is just another thing in life that will run for ever with no real winner. Used both, both have different attributes, pluses and minuses. Make your own mind up and live with your choice.

Assuming "said software" is TouchCab:

Why would I not consider other platforms than iDevices? I'm not married to Apple. I like the iPhone and I like the Mac, but I also like Win7. I see no reason why TouchCab should not be available on e.g. Android or MS Phone 7.

The only thing I can't do is develop on a cross-platform development system, but I wasn't going to anyway. I don't have access to the RR&Co forum, so I can't see what was actually posted, but I am guessing they were going for the cross-platform build and got struck by Apples ban.

If - and I say if - TouchCab will ever be available for Android or any other platform and this causes a ban from the App Store, then the current arguments for Apples decision will no longer be valid, and in that case I would probably consider where the app should stay.

No no no, please ... I said IF !! smile.gif

Best regards

Jens

TouchCab

Thanks Jens,

Here is the RR&Co answer to the problem.

Dear Railroaders,

The application ("app") for the operation of +SmartHand Mobile on external devices (smart phones, iPod, iPad, etc.) is designed with a so-called open cross-platform technology. This allows us to implement the application for many systems and devices (Symbian / Nokia, iPhone / iPod / iPad, Windows, Windows Mobile, Android) under economical conditions.

As we just learned, there are considerations at Apple, not to allow such cross-platform technologies in future versions (OS V 4) of their system. Apple seems to be a manufacturer who has difficulties to tolerate other gods beside him. The prohibition of cross-platform technologies is a clear attempt to prevent iPhone apps from running on other systems, too.

Of course we will try in the medium to long term to offer +SmartHand cost-effectively also for Apple devices. It could finally turn out however that +SmartHand Mobile

can't be offered for Apple devices,

or is offered for Apple devices at a significantly higher price compared to other systems,

or is not offered for Apple devices with future operating systems,

or must run in the Web Browser of the Apple devices in a perhaps limited manner.

For other platforms such as Symbian (Nokia and others), Windows Mobile, Windows, Android, similar restrictions are currently not up for debate.

For this reason and also because of our recently made experiences with Apple policies, we recommend all users, which plan to purchase a new device extra for +SmartHand Mobile, to consider carefully whether a non-Apple device doesn't meet the requirements in the same way, if not better, and to choose a device from another manufacturer instead in this case.

Best regards / Mit freundlichem Gruss

Juergen Freiwald

Railroad & Co.

And now the update from RR&Co

Dear Railroader,

an update: the U.S. antitrust authorities are apparently considering whether to begin an investigation regarding Apple. And precisely because of those license conditions, that I criticized in my earlier article (see also here).

This reinforces my view that this is just a rather transparent attempt to abuse a market position. It turns out that the supposed "white knight" Apple is not better than the "evil black" competitors from Microsoft and Intel.

Fortunately, Freiwald Software doesn't have to stand for being enchained by anybody who tries to enforce such restrictive conditions: at the latest from that day on which the planned Apple conditions actually become effective for us, we will no longer provide any software, that runs on Apple devices.

It is that simple!

• RMweb Premium

Interesting new interface for the Lenz Xpressnet system.

Also the new Touch Cab for Lenz as well for use on the IPhone / ITouch is announced.

http://www.digital-plus.de/digitalplus/digitalplus_pc.php

Hi

This is something I have wanted for a long time as I have never been happy with needing to boot up the PC just to run the layout. As I understand it the new interface would just require a connection to a wireless router and the mobile device would connect using that.

Downside is that my current LI-USB would then become redundant as it would appear that this new interface would provide the same functionality as well.

I also agree with the comments regarding the LH100, it needs overhauling.

Cheers

Paul

Archived