GWR Toplight Coaches- what colour for toplight vents?

I model late 1930s GWR in N gauge. So far I have rtr Dapol coaches and some bow ended stock from Dapol b set donors with tpm sides. I am now creating some toplight coaches by modifying old gf suburban stock. Its a bigger job than I thought when I started. However the point of this post is to ask about the appearance of the toplight vents themselves which I am adding by drilling, filing and glazing etc.

HARRIS describes the toplights of Toplight coaches as being of "hammered glass". In an interior photo of a Dreadnought the toplight is clearly clear not translucent but Harris seems to imply a change for the toplight coaches.

Looking at other photos in Harris the external appearance of the toplights is a lighter colour than the windows which often appear almost black. Presumably the toplights are translucent not transparent? Would this be frosted glass ie white or perhaps coated ie silver/grey? In one close up photo in Russell there almost appears to a horizontal texture to the toplight vent.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards, Paul

Dear Miss Prism,

Thankyou. I did not know what hammered glass was but from your photos all is now clear! Interestingly the flickr image shows one toplight pane (next to last) which has the horizontal pattern I mentioned in my original post.

I can reproduce the hammered effect in model form by getting glue all over the transparent plastic when I attach it. That will be easy.

I thought the toplights could be opened for ventilation but the internal photos don't show any mechanism so I now suppose they were fixed and ventilation came from the door vents and droplights only plus roof vent? Later compartment designs without doors got adjustable ventilation from beclawat windows and later sliding vents. References to corridor droplights also make more sense than before.

Thankyou again.