Heljan to re-issue Class 35 Hymek in O Gauge

Mutley

• RMweb Gold

Heljan have announced via Facebook that in addition to the Class 31 / Deltic re-issues, they are also going to re-run the Class 35 Hymek, which is good news for those of us just moving to O Gauge and who may have missed out before.

I don't think this has been mentioned on here, models as follows:

Class 35 Hymek - SRP £495.00

3585 - BR green 'as built' unnumbered
3586 - BR green with small yellow panel unnumbered
3587 - BR green with full yellow end unnumbered
3588 - BR blue with full yellow end unnumbered

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/photos/pcb.2236411339755053/2236404836422370/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

Mike

Edited by Mutley

Brilliant news this has made up for the reissue of the Deltic which is poor IMHO. But the Hymek is a cracking model and at a good price too, this will look great with my Western Warship and Falcon all br blue so looks like a Blue one for me. The wallet is groaning!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, two tone green said:

They are almost here http://www.tower-models.com

Presumably already at sea.

Will be interesting to see how well these sell. They struggled to shift the original extra run and you could pick them up very cheaply. Once they'd finally all gone, 2nd hand prices went up though which suggest demand builds up again after a while.

5 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Presumably already at sea.

Will be interesting to see how well these sell. They struggled to shift the original extra run and you could pick them up very cheaply. Once they'd finally all gone, 2nd hand prices went up though which suggest demand builds up again after a while.

But O gauge was not as main stream as it is now. 

• Agree 1

Ordered 2 in Blue.    They will be 7049 and 7087, Both Bristol machines in Spring 1970.

I've got two of the first Heljan batch as well.

I did one as 7070 (CF) and the other (which I haven't done anything with yet) will be 7041, also a BR loco, but from the earlier 7000 - 7044 lot, with the Stone Vapour Boilers rather than the Spanner 3.

Has anyone got any pics of how the boiler exhaust on the roof of the earlier locos differed from the Spanner ones as on the Heljan loco?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Keith J said:

I notice these are all un-numbered. Do Heljan supply a transfer sheet of numbers with their un-numbered locos or do these need to be sourced separately?

Usually sourced separately.

Someone does etched ones for this to represent the raised cast numbers.

55 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Usually sourced separately.

Someone does etched ones for this to represent the raised cast numbers.

Thanks, I wondered if that would be the case. I've just had a quick search and found that Fox Transfers do the etched ones. Not sure how easy they will be to apply, I'll order a set and give it a try though. I have the green Hymek with the small yellow warning panel on order from Tower Models and the etched numbers would look great on this if I can apply them neatly enough. 

Edited by Keith J

• 2 weeks later...

Just added DCC to this model, noted that all four of the pick-up wires connected to the factory pcb did not have sufficient sheathing stripped from the wire ends, and only two of the four actually made electrical contact with the terminal screws. Enough for the model to run (and presumably pass QA) but pickup was only from 4 of 8 wheels.

I removed the pcb for DCC install, however those retaining DC might want to check theirs are ok.  Easy fix nonetheless, but another Heljan QA niggle.

Otherwise this re-release runs beautifully and looks the part, even if the basis of the model is 16 years of age!

Neal

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I see the new Hymek has Two red tail lights, the old version has one red and one white at each end. 
Which would be more common, one or two red lights at the end when running light ?

Also was a white marker light usually used ?

thanks Roger 

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:34, neal said:

Just added DCC to this model, noted that all four of the pick-up wires connected to the factory pcb did not have sufficient sheathing stripped from the wire ends, and only two of the four actually made electrical contact with the terminal screws. Enough for the model to run (and presumably pass QA) but pickup was only from 4 of 8 wheels.

I removed the pcb for DCC install, however those retaining DC might want to check theirs are ok.  Easy fix nonetheless, but another Heljan QA niggle.

Otherwise this re-release runs beautifully and looks the part, even if the basis of the model is 16 years of age!

Neal

Mine had exactly the same issue and I would never have known if I hadn't removed the PCB to install the decoder as it ran perfectly under DC!

• 3 years later...

Hi,  a couple of questions which I wondered if anyone can help with please:

- I am sure I heard the later release have a lighter chassis block than the first release please? I have just brought a second hand one which I believe is the first release which feels quite heavy (compared to my Heljan class 37) , I was curious how much weight was taken out for the later release if true please? I am looking to single motor it as I don't haul long trains (max 4 wagons) and want to get the current draw below 1 amp so I can use my exisiting controller but it will be border line and using a lighter weight chassis may tip the balance

- The loco is currently sound fitted with an ESU Loksound chip speaker but I intend to remove and sell the sound chip/speaker. The original circuit board is included however due to the DCC chip being fitted the terminal connections on the motor wires have been removed. I am not worried about working lights or fan to be honest so any reason why I couldn't wire the pick ups direct to the motor and not use the circuit board?

Thanks in anticipation.