Repairs to Diesel locomotives and units away from depots 1990s to today

QuoitsPlayer

Hello everyone

I was given for Christmas the Bachmann depot staff pack and not having an mpd on my layout was wondering what if any repairs would be carried out to locomotives or DMUs out in the open away from their depots?

I was thinking maybe a broken down train in a station for the DMU with a fitter busy attending to it but how much could be done? for example I have an old Hornby Pacer but not sure what to represent the fitter doing. For the diesel loco I'm totally stumped for what could look a convincing cameo scene.

Many thanks

Matt

Since privatisation, the freight companies have routinely gone FTR / A exams out in the field. Typically they need a slab and sometimes a pit of brake blocks to be done. Fuelling can be done in any Yard by road tinker though a slab is common practice. It’s a man in a van approach.

Diesel shunters are also often serviced in the same way.

Wagon maintenance has been done in similar conditions even under BR. Again a slab helps but isn’t essential. Many of the private fleets get routine maintenance this way and not at depots or works.

I’d get a transit van of some sorts, maybe Wabtec or similar and park next to your train & fitters.

Depending on how detailed you want to make your cameo, you could model the fitter inspecting a 142 gearbox to final drive carden shaft that had broken loose and dropped onto the track....

I like the idea of something like that, I'm guessing it's a reasonably common?

• RMweb Premium

Even in the 80s at Paddington, there was always at least one Cat. C who was in touch with control to look at minor problems on stock that was not destined for Old Oak Common. He was there to reset fault indications/trips and top-up coolant (mainly on HSTs) where necessary. Obviously if there was something more serious he would radio control and get stock swapped/removed. On an eight hour shift, it was certainly a job for 'fitter' people.....

Dave.

• Like 1

I like the idea of something like that, I'm guessing it's a reasonably common?

It's not an everyday occurrence - from memory it's happened less than half a dozen times in the last 10-15 years. But that's why I suggested it, as it is so rare :)

Not sure what period you are wanting

Most inspections and repairs would take place at either a station, passing loop or yard (depending on if freight or passenger train)

Most stations where a loco change was likely would be selected

The driver and shunter could then make a visual assessment and request a fitter if required

In the 1980s and early 1990s, at the majority of major stations in Scotland such an inspection would take place almost daily

Examples

Aberdeen, a Class 47 arrived having struck an object and noises had been reported from the second coach behind the loco, resulting in the train proceeding at 15mph

Carlisle, a Class 86 arrived having been reported by a passing train, a shock absorber on the front bogie was found detached

Carstairs, driver reported striking an object damaging two coaches, on arrival three windows on coaches were found broken