GWR Livery Help/Advice

chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

All of my locos thus far have the "GREAT WESTERN" livery and my coaches have the coat of arms logo (with GWR above) which I believe is 1927-1933

However I'm tempted to get a few locos and coaches which have the shirt button logo which I'm informed was from 1934

My question....How likely 'in real life' would these livery's have operated in conjunction with one another? i.e would there have been a transitional period where both livery's would be in service at the same time

Probably a stupid question to those 'in the know' but I don't know the answer

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated as always

Thanks

Chris

Yes, there was a significant period of overlap. As a rule of thumb, new liveries and/or logos got applied to principle express locos and stock first with lesser locos in descending order. Just to show how extreme is could be, here is a shot of 8700 still sporting a (very tatty) shirtbutton in 1960! That is almost 20 years after it was phased out.

8637307163_728ee259dd_b.jpg

Of course WW2 and Nationalisation shook things up but even the 1930s, the previous "Great Western" lettering would have been slow to disappear, particularly on less important locos and coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, there was a significant period of overlap. As a rule of thumb, new liveries and/or logos got applied to principle express locos and stock first with lesser locos in descending order. Just to show how extreme is could be, here is a shot of 8700 still sporting a (very tatty) shirtbutton in 1960! That is almost 20 years after it was phased out.

8637307163_728ee259dd_b.jpg

Of course WW2 and Nationalisation shook things up but even the 1930s, the previous "Great Western" lettering would have been slow to disappear, particularly on less important locos and coaches.

Thank you for your help

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those panniers may well have been showing the effects of paint wear rather than lack of repainting, in other words an older livery showing through a newer worn one that had been painted on top of it.  New liveries were usually simply painted on top of old ones without stripping back to the metal (or wood in the case of coaches).  But locos and other vehicles could occasionally be returned to service after overhauls without repaints, or with partial repaints, particularly during wartime and the austerity period that followed it.

In any case, you have plenty of overlap time to run pre and post 1934 GW liveries together; just make sure the older livery isn't applied to stock built post 1934 (such as 64/74xx).  For this period you could even justify heavily weathered freight stock in pre-grouping liveries!

• RMweb Gold

Nicking this out of another thread. I hope the poster doesn't mind.

Look at the Prairie No 4129. That's even been to Swindon and came back like that!

Jason

Been to Swindon but more probably not repainted at all than turned out in this austerity black G W R livery in 1951!