Johndc120

• RMweb Gold

We did think about having it dismantled, but then would they have taken it for scrap so there was nothing left? In the end one of the other members found this photo so we decided to copy it

Some scrappies would take the lot. I do like the track layout; very reminiscent of LNWR practice. Some places remained as shunters cabins. Nothing left inside except a fire, and a kettle.... Oh, and the weekly notices.

Ian.

Some scrappies would take the lot. I do like the track layout; very reminiscent of LNWR practice. Some places remained as shunters cabins. Nothing left inside except a fire, and a kettle.... Oh, and the weekly notices.

Ian.

Looks reminiscent of central west Wales to me ;-)

I’ve got to be honest we didn’t really look too closely to standard practices for LNWR or any other railways. It us weeks to come up with this plan, which is obvious to it former glory but also works as a cut down version with lots of bits disused

Morfa Mawr, about 1/3rd down the page:

http://emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_grangetown.html

When I first saw Shwt with the D63xx as the header on some Facebook group, I'd assumed at first that it was a rebuild of the above. I can excuse myself that mistake though, both MM & Shwt are fantastically atmospheric moments in time. :good:

I’ll certain excuse you for that, I didn’t realise we’d virtually copied another layout! Haha

I remember many railway trips from the mid/late 1960s and into the 1970s, with my dad pointing out the remains of various yards and stations along the way,

you have captured the atmosphere very well,

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly OT but in respect of footbridges

The footbridge at Dovecliffe lasted 10 years out of use after they ripped tracks up

Brian

Not in a station but in Dursley next to Everlands still stands the Gallows footbridge. The branch closed in 1970.....

Keith HC

Hopefully this link will work.....

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102136-dursley-branchline-footbridge-is-it-still-standing/&do=findComment&comment=2749226

Edited by KeithHC

• 2 weeks later...

A really enjoyable and rewarding project I’ve just finished for the layout is the Dead wagon project, we wanted something to put into the unused siding on the goods yard so a dead wagon was the idea choice

The back story is - this wagon was in use dismantling and recovering the line beyond the crossing, on the retrun trip the leaf spring snaped and damage was done to the bearing to it was shunted off at Shwt where it still rests

065A29B4-2AFF-4D07-9580-746BFC0F2330.jpeg

D9CC31CA-71A8-434F-A720-671B7AD02447.jpeg

DAA78695-9FF1-40AC-AD77-49FC174898C8.jpeg

166C3F36-36D8-40CE-80F5-FF62DFF5C638.jpeg

0FBEB8F6-9C1C-41F6-B096-006F28ABEB95.jpeg

• Like 5

On 2/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, Ramblin Rich said:

That's great, a deliberately wonky wagon! I do like the way the load has shifted to the new level.

If you’ll be able to see it’s wonky on the layout is another thing but at least I’ve tried to model it

• RMweb Gold

Those are very good representations of WR location cases. There were 4 types: small, medium (in narrow and wide) and large. You have the medium narrow and medium wide. The large used to be available from Hornby.  Small is just a half height medium narrow.

MW needed a post each side as you have done. A single MN or a small would have one post at the rear.

Very nice and well done. 

Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2