Johndc120

• RMweb Gold

It’s pretty good when one can recognise a shelf relay, fuse & terminal strip, links/cable termination and probably 4x DS1 below.  Someone is clearly familiar with WR loc layouts or knows someone who is!!!

I’m liking it even more than I did when I first saw it.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2019 at 17:53, Johndc120 said:

Situated around the sand and gravel pits of tewksbury, Shwt was a small station stop and goods yard on a previously busy double track LNWR line.

Hi John,

In no way a criticism, but this is something that I've been wondering about since I first saw your thread.

I'm very much 'into' the railways of Gloucestershire, but as far as I know, the LNWR didn't reach that far down, whereas the Midland was all over the county.

Your layout does remind me very much of a 'might have been 'scenario on the Ashchurch - Evesham line, which was itself double track.

Just wondering!

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 19:29, 5BarVT said:

It’s pretty good when one can recognise a shelf relay, fuse & terminal strip, links/cable termination and probably 4x DS1 below.  Someone is clearly familiar with WR loc layouts or knows someone who is!!!

I’m liking it even more than I did when I first saw it.

Paul.

Haha, Yes I confess I work on the S&T for NR in Cardiff, so I know my way round western region locs pretty well. So I also know what 5BarVT stands for having stripped a few down in my years. I'm really chuffed someone has recognised the individual bits inside. It's made it worth doing

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi John,

In no way a criticism, but this is something that I've been wondering about since I first saw your thread.

I'm very much 'into' the railways of Gloucestershire, but as far as I know, the LNWR didn't reach that far down, whereas the Midland was all over the county.

Your layout does remind me very much of a 'might have been 'scenario on the Ashchurch - Evesham line, which was itself double track.

Just wondering!

Hi,

Hey I don't mind criticism at all, I feel it's the only way we improve. 

No that is a slight problem with the plan on the layout. when we originally can up with the back story and it we were under the impression LNWR got a lot closer to Tewksbury than it actually did, which I believe was Hereford. 

By the time we realised our mistake I had already built the disused LNWR signals. so we've sort of stuck with it, the name 'Shwt' is also far too welsh for tewksbury being the wrong side  (or right side) of the border, but it has a family connection and is close to Shut which is why we liked it

• Like 1

The photos taken during the recent construction of our F/Y cassettes. 

The basic design is 9mm Ply with 1 inch x 1 inch aluminium angle bolted onto it. We used M3 bolt contersunk in from underneath and nylock nuts on top to secure them. We have got 3 milled aluminium spacer blocks which are correct for EM gauge. These help to hold the gauge while drilling into the wood for the bolt holes.

once complete, we designed and 3D printed end pieces which hinge up to allow the train through. They have been designed with a slot in the end which the kadee's fit into so the buffer contact the end piece. this prevents damaging the couplingIMG_3327.jpg.e601aae3adb07c6a5179f43271cced8c.jpgIMG_3328.jpg.61403f3f82536692a57bfda604803168.jpgIMG_3329.jpg.d2bd89058e3f359c3132e8b5667eec34.jpgIMG_3336.jpg.ac1d3d96695085dafc5594e12c827992.jpgIMG_3751.jpg.a9ff81959ae42e4389009479ff787434.jpgIMG_3753.jpg.2e54deb6d3d5c56862ac5b3419fc470c.jpgIMG_3755.jpg.9f82b79d76d65f2abcecd72673be409f.jpgIMG_3757.jpg.7f45b323946eccfaeeacf85029005110.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Johndc120 said:

No that is a slight problem with the plan on the layout. when we originally can up with the back story and it we were under the impression LNWR got a lot closer to Tewksbury than it actually did, which I believe was Hereford. 

Yes, I'd agree with that. The Shrewsbury - Abergavenny route was essentially a joint line with the GWR and the LNWR.

But it's not a problem, who's to say that the LNWR didn't consider building their own route from that line to (say) Gloucester?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Johndc120 said:

The photos taken during the recent construction of our F/Y cassettes. 

The basic design is 9mm Ply with 1 inch x 1 inch aluminium angle bolted onto it. We used M3 bolt contersunk in from underneath and nylock nuts on top to secure them. We have got 3 milled aluminium spacer blocks which are correct for EM gauge. These help to hold the gauge while drilling into the wood for the bolt holes.

once complete, we designed and 3D printed end pieces which hinge up to allow the train through. They have been designed with a slot in the end which the kadee's fit into so the buffer contact the end piece. this prevents damaging the couplingIMG_3755.jpg.9f82b79d76d65f2abcecd72673be409f.jpg

Superb.

The use of 3-D printing is very clever and a good application of the technology.

I would just suggest that you could consider chamfering the sharp edges, where the aluminium angle of each cassette meets the 'docking station' aluminium, so as to smooth out any unintentional 'steps', which could catch the unwary flange and cause a derailment. How do I know this?

I see that you've also countersunk some of your securing screws, which I found necessary, as I'd drilled a little too close to the edge of the aluminium and found that the bogie of a Hymek would otherwise foul it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This layout is just lovely. Ticks all the boxes for me. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 30/04/2019 at 11:46, Johndc120 said:

More 3D Design and printing, this time it's bits for the coal yard. After doing lots of research we've found a few items in photos which nobody sells. This gave us the challenge of printing them ourselves.

The first item is a coal scales, fairly typical of lots found in yards up and down the country. these were used in 2 ways either to be filled and then tipped into a sack or lay the sack in the tub and shovel into the sack. 

Second is a step ladder used to access the vehicle, usually with a coal sack on your back

lastly is a coal conveyor, these are a later addition used to get the filled sacks onto the lorry. The ones we've found have been electric driven, this would have been a touch late for us so we've fitted it with a lister petrol engine

still a the moment mostly unpainted

What a great layout and thank you for sharing the coal yard details. I have a coal depot on the model I am currently working on. I know one of our former local coalmen, so I’ll show him this post and get a bit more of the history for my particular location.

• Like 2

A special loco going through the works tonight. This will join a pair of Hornby stanier coaches to form a short special for occasional use at exhibitions

It’s had the brassmasters detailing kit added, fitted with ultrascale EM wheels, has  been repainted, renumbered, datails picked out and dry brushed, now for the airbush weathering for a overall dirtBC864675-A085-4B09-8BEB-B3712B3F8774.jpeg.1ae977c155d33aa9cca4e14407e400e6.jpeg42B1C961-B2FF-4608-8487-D1E570FFF268.jpeg.a234522046d15ff9c3998b67738f0502.jpeg83507442-0BA0-46CA-AD64-1F62B7AF2AE6.jpeg.086aa0d329aaaa7ec1ef3521765ded01.jpeg98FF4845-B579-484A-806B-7534E347AD36.jpeg.942faaf6b1385b619c2d9b779a59799b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic modelling - the pictures of the Jinty by the signal box are amazing.

Adding the shading and picking out the detail of the figures makes a real difference - the rest of your modelling is pretty good as well!

My eye was immediately drawn to the red rag held by the member of the train crew in the jinty photo - an example of a small detail really adding to the overall effect.

Thanks for sharing - plenty of inspiration here for me - I'm planning out some coal facilities myself at the moment and this is very useful.

Regards,

James

Edited by jamest
spelling mistake
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Lovely work, John. Are the figures from ModelU?

Also, forgive me if you've already explained, but how did you make your coal sacks, please? They're very good.

Thank you, yes they are modelu figures, there’s a few other people now trying to do similar but Alan’s printers are far superior so you get a better figure out of it

the coal sacks are actually cast plaster ones by ten commandments, they look okay once painted up I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very late to the party as usual and have only just seen this!  What a splendid piece of really atmospheric modelling, great work!  The pictures of the Jinty alongside the signal box are fabulous:-)

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, 

The photo of the Jinty sitting outside the signal box, is a wonderful image. It captures the run-down nature of late BR steam very well. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1