Johndc120

19 hours ago, Anglian said:

John,
This is fabulous, oozing bags of atmosphere. Could you tell me where you source the synthetic hair to chop up?

Thank you very much, I get my synthetic hair from green scenes, it’s a small bag but a little goes a long way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Have to say, this is one of the very best images posted on RMWeb in its long history.... just superb...! Looks just as good in black and white too, if I may be so bold...

D63xx Tewks.jpg

D63xx Tewks edit.jpg

Thank you so much for your kind words, the layout has been a long time in the making and everyones comments on here make it all worthwhile

this particular view will be much better now it’s got a backscene behind it, it’s just a difficult angle to get to at the moment, I look forward to setting it up somewhere and trying to recreate it

Many Thanks 

John

• Like 3

The coaching stock for my SLS special has arrived, I've added some appropriate coach boards, E wheels and kadee couplings. Just a bit of weathering required and I'll have another passenger train for a freight only line

SLS1.jpg.302c491f640871ab7cc5eee4572f6cf6.jpg

SLS2.jpg.54d91b39d6b94d81afac736abf631b6a.jpg

SLS3.jpg.0b25704312d631e747efef187c1f56de.jpg

• Like 7

On 13/05/2019 at 20:14, Johndc120 said:

Still work in progress but one of the last items left to finish on shwt is the crane, this is a Ruston bucyrus 22-RB which is a white metal kit by langley models. It’s certainly not for the faint hearted and this kit has taken almost as long as the layout to buildF659331C-97AF-4F3D-AC87-44687F0FDFC2.jpeg.08a84c055f32861d3aa037ff9847d83c.jpeg

Hi 

Great work here. Shows you what can be accomplished with a small layout

One question and I may have missed this in the thread: The derelict building above on the left...is that a kit or did you scratch build yourself as I am looking for something similar for my layout

Thanks

Matt

25 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Hi 

Great work here. Shows you what can be accomplished with a small layout

One question and I may have missed this in the thread: The derelict building above on the left...is that a kit or did you scratch build yourself as I am looking for something similar for my layout

Thanks

Matt

Thank you very much Matt, I haven’t put anything about it yet, I’ll post one in a bit for you

Thanks

By far the biggest building on Shwt is/was the engine shed. Taken out of use when LNWR absorbed the line just after the turn of the century. having lost it's roof the building has rapidly deteriorated and nature is slowly taking it back.

loosely based on the shed at Abbotsbury (although the brick chimney omitted) this structure was scratch build using foam board covered in Das modelling clay. Once dry the stonework was then carved into it, before each individual stone painted. The base had a layer of static grass applied before mininatur foliage was applied to make the ivy and bushes inside

Shed2.jpg.0b843f42fc47aa92e601ebea2ccd6184.jpgShed3.jpg.00aa5a930461d5ef11e81f9380959796.jpgShed4.jpg.ab207c2cee3c0b1af59f44b6b079fe88.jpgShed5.jpg.eae597e00b53c6e7121fedb8430c1fb9.jpgShed6.jpg.4ce9ab8f708768a7e17c7e0333fbefe6.jpgShed1.jpg.a79fc1bb018e9fbcc15273efc46a3504.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Really like this layout, found as an RMWeb "pick", very similar to what I'm hoping to achieve with a small O gauge project in being a run down and clinging on to life branch.  Will go back and read the whole thread again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just wanted to add my voice to the list of admirers here; truly inspirational stuff! It's given me some ideas for a project I'm slowly formulating. I love the use of the level crossing/lifted section to 'book-end' the layout as opposed to a more traditional branch line terminus or goods yard. It really adds to the rundown nature of the scene, too.

I really hope I get to see this on the exhibition circuit at some point! :) 

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

And are you going to model all the passengers all over the track? it seemed to be a regular thing while the loco was running round and taking water on these railtours. :D

it's the one thing that makes this move totally unrealistic, we need a mass of middle aged gentlemen in tweed jackets getting everywhere they shouldn't!

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Johndc120 said:

it's the one thing that makes this move totally unrealistic, we need a mass of middle aged gentlemen in tweed jackets getting everywhere they shouldn't!

And not forgetting us young lads that tagged along with our dad's ! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And a few bored looking wives holding the coats and wanting to not be there.  They wouldn't tolerate it nowadays but divorce was still a bit of a stigma in the early 60s.  There might be a couple of tartan Thermos flasks and travelling blankets, also tartan, in evidence as well...

Seriously, this is a remarkable layout showing an exceptional awareness of general feel of the period on very run down lines hanging on by a thread; the recovered track, overgrowth, and general dereliction but still providing a service to the gravel pit and coal yard despite it all.  Everything is superbly modelled, but the trackwork especially is very convincing, and it's an unusual idea very well executed.  I've only just discovered it, but it is rapidly becoming one of my favourites on this site!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Johndc120 said:

Not that old really.

001-roy-lambeth-woodbur-2_10_66.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2019 at 14:01, Johndc120 said:

Yes this is a Heljan class 14 but with ultrascale wheels. I still need to paint the wheels and add the brakes yet

Just recently found this thread, what a Superb Layout. 

I'd be interested to know how  you went about converting your Class 22 to EM Gauge?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pannier Tank said:

Just recently found this thread, what a Superb Layout. 

I'd be interested to know how  you went about converting your Class 22 to EM Gauge?

Thank you very much

The OO gauge wheels on the Class 22 can just be opened out to EM gauge, some people say they need to be turned down to reduce the flange thickness but I find it goes through my point work okay

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Johndc120 said:

Thank you very much

The OO gauge wheels on the Class 22 can just be opened out to EM gauge, some people say they need to be turned down to reduce the flange thickness but I find it goes through my point work okay

Thank you for your reply. I have seen mention of reducing the flange width but have no means of doing so and was looking for someone to confirm that it was possible to re-gauge the Wheelset.

I note you are using Ultrascale Wheels on your Class 14. I have an EM Gauge Ultrascale Wheelset ready to drop into my Class 14. I would have liked to have taken the same route with my Class 22 but unfortunately Ultrascale have yet / unlikely to produce a conversion pack.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pannier Tank said:

Thank you for your reply. I have seen mention of reducing the flange width but have no means of doing so and was looking for someone to confirm that it was possible to re-gauge the Wheelset.

I note you are using Ultrascale Wheels on your Class 14. I have an EM Gauge Ultrascale Wheelset ready to drop into my Class 14. I would have liked to have taken the same route with my Class 22 but unfortunately Ultrascale have yet / unlikely to produce a conversion pack.

I would guess eventually they will do a conversion pack for the Class 22, like everything with ultrascale they will take their time getting there though. I gather a lot of the ime the conversion packs come from people forking out to get ultrascale to do conversions done for them.

The Class 14 conversion has been really successful, I've since fitted it with with replacement coupling rods from brassmasters which make a big improvement as well

• Informative/Useful 1