Johndc120

• RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2019 at 07:35, Johndc120 said:

The Class 14 conversion has been really successful, I've since fitted it with with replacement coupling rods from brassmasters which make a big improvement as well

Although the Brassmaster Coupling Rods appear a little complex, they look excellent on your Model. I will add them to my shopping list.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2019 at 07:18, Pannier Tank said:

I note you are using Ultrascale Wheels on your Class 14. I have an EM Gauge Ultrascale Wheelset ready to drop into my Class 14. I would have liked to have taken the same route with my Class 22 but unfortunately Ultrascale have yet / unlikely to produce a conversion pack.

If John will excuse the impertinence, here is a link to my blog of a few years ago, when I converted one of these to P4, using Ultrascale SR tender wheels - 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I converted one of these to P4, using Ultrascale SR tender wheels - 

Hello Captain,

Thank you for the link, most interesting. 

Long before the Dapol Class 22 was announced, I purchased a Silver Fox class 22 Resin Body and a Bachmann Class 20 Chassis. Ultrascale manufactured a Conversion Pack (Spoke Wheels and Gear Set) for the Bachmann Class 22 Chassis. Although when the Dapol Class 22 was announced I abandoned the Silver Fox / Bachmann Chassis idea. Having read your article has given me another idea of modifying my Ultrascale Wheelset to fit the Dapol Chassis. The only thing I'm not sure about is fabricating any bushes if required.

Apologies to John for hogging this thread. Maybe we should continue on your Class 22 thread?

Edited by Pannier Tank
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2019 at 09:34, Johndc120 said:

Haha, Yes I confess I work on the S&T for NR in Cardiff, so I know my way round western region locs pretty well. So I also know what 5BarVT stands for having stripped a few down in my years. I'm really chuffed someone has recognised the individual bits inside. It's made it worth doing

Also NR S&T with WR beginnings.  Just been speaking to a mutual friend/colleague for whom you have 3D printed Westinghouse GWR signal heads - we go back a long way, probably over 40 years!  Ask him about the ‘official way’ to scramble down the bank carrying a briefcase.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Ask him about the ‘official way’ to scramble down the bank carrying a briefcase.

When I was a W.R. management trainee, many years ago, I suspect there may have been a training course in The Grove, Watford, for that activity.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 03/06/2019 at 18:16, drgj said:

I like the figures. What make are they?

Dave

Hi Dave, all of the figures are 3D printed by modelu, then painted by a wonderful artist, I’m rubbish at painting figures and she’s brilliant at it, so well worth the money, her name is Claudia Everett

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now the layout is nearly finished, We needed to sort out the transportation. This is the first time trying to rack a layout with curved corners to the back scene, this presents a problem when racking the boards together into a box. 

The solution was to off set the boards 2 inches lengthways and 1 inch sideways. this gave sufficient room for the corner but also didn't make the complete racked layout overly big.

the packing piece fitted to the end of one board and the first cross members being attached to separate the boards at the right distance

1706516098_Racking1.jpg.238e63891bbc400ac5cfafdaf533968c.jpg 

this picture shows the gap created for the backscene curve

1112082632_Racking2.jpg.228a59542191a8afeb97935f13d94119.jpg

the completed racking boards with carry handles and end plates

599246289_Racking3.jpg.c5708bc9ccc999f29885105b1778fa13.jpg

• Like 7

Wow just found this Topic 

Can I echo all who have praised your work in creating something very different to the main stream BLT model

i absolutely love the rundown look with overgrown platforms track consolidated, with the ruins ,removed rails etc etc.its almost a less is more approach but in the reality it’s actually a lot harder to pull off this look and I congratulate you on what you have achieved so far will definitely be following this from now on.

A Big thank you for sharing your work 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to say. this has to be one of my favourites layouts I have come across, the decay and dereliction just oozes atmosphere, and I do like the perception of space, less is definitely more, superbly modelled you have an eye and skill for it.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2019 at 07:35, Johndc120 said:

The Class 14 conversion has been really successful, I've since fitted it with with replacement coupling rods from brassmasters which make a big improvement as well

Didn't know about them, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Didn't know about them, thanks for the tip.

They are a big improvement on the Heljan ones, much chunkier as per the prototype and in nickel silver they look like the polished steel as well

These are the originals

E593AD7E-9099-412F-AD30-4E23231B505F.png.a09f293ce7f1343bcf3c4806494ad876.png

Brassmaster versions

BEAB1234-08A6-4E3A-8A50-5079D786D94B.png.96bd23c413b4f7b590547210da36a20f.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2019 at 00:28, Johndc120 said:

51371539_2040700009352290_8097081472671809536_n.jpg.e5a058a71467c3cbb1c773ef6e6f6482.jpg

Hi There,

Can you please tell me if these are Plastic Clips that attach the Top Fascia to the square aluminium tube? And if so what are they called and where can I get hold of some?

What did you attach them to the MDF/Ply with?

Thanks 

matt

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

4 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Hi There,

Can you please tell me if these are Plastic Clips that attach the Top Fascia to the square aluminium tube? And if so what are they called and where can I get hold of some?

What did you attach them to the MDF/Ply with?

Thanks 

matt

Hi, yes they are plastic clips but unfortunately we designed and 3D printed these ourselves as you can’t really buy anything suitable

to attach them to the foamex board we used epoxy resin as it has a really good bond on both plastics 

cheers 

John

Well we're officially calling Shwt Finished!!!!:D:D:D

it's taken a long 3 years to build and a lot of challenges on the way but that's what it's all about. 

We had a photo shoot this week just gone with Chris Nevard, can't wait to see how his pictures come out but here's some we took while it was fully set up

Shwt_001.JPG.68a105937bf9135d4d7040b40b569b6f.JPGShwt_002.JPG.d82c22a755dda99ba91e437b64e276bf.JPG

• Like 17