Is Pre-Ordering Really Necessary?

• RMweb Gold

Having never pre-ordered anything ever before (apart from take-aways) including non model orientated purchases but at the same time never having been unable to source a product, I wonder if there is any real need to order in advance.

Or have I just been lucky so far?

Arguably, production runs are limited to a degree and the pre-order guarantees an item; it would be interesting to see if any member has ever had call to regret not ordering in advance.

• RMweb Premium

The Mickleover Model Railway Group commissioned a limited edition Class 37 (37114) from Bachmann and had more expressions of interest than we had models (500) but then when it came to collecting payments (no deposits) we found that about 70 failed to complete the deal with some giving us email and/or phone numbers that didn't exist and so we had no way of getting in touch. In addition we found that we had phoned a couple of widows as their husbands had passed away since placing the order!

There are still some locos left and can be ordered though our new website     https://mmrgexclusives.co.uk/

So even though we originally thought we had sold out before delivery, the reality was that there were some left over - perhaps the situation would have been different if we had taken deposits (or even full payment) in advance ?

I tend not to unless it's something with an order book that closes such as with the Locomotion/Rapido models.

If it was something I really wanted and it did seem like it will sell out, then I would pre-order as it's better than missing out or paying stupid money on eBay. Better giving money to genuine people rather than eBay speculators.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have pre-ordered quite a few items, all from companies and individuals producing limited runs. The vast majority of these could not have been purchased after the production runs had been made. 

I did consider pre-ordering an H&P Peckett when it first came out, but I decided not to as it was a brand new model and I wanted to see one in the flesh/running before I bought one.

Of course, by the time I saw one, most of the traders had either sold out , or were cashing in on demand with prices well above RRP. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot of it is sales technique, creating the idea that these are gonna sell like 'ot cakes because they are so good, whatever they are, and advising you to get your name on the list.  There are basically 3 ways it can go from this point, a) the model is overproduced and you've paid full price for something that would have been discounted if you'd waited a couple of weeks, but you've still had a early delivery, b) the model flies off the shelves and starts attracting silly money on 'Bay, in which case you're glad you ordered one, and c) production meets demand fairly accurately, meaning that you could get the model almost as quickly over the counter in your local dealer for the same price.  

On balance, pre-ordering is probably worth it if you are keen to own the model and happy to pay the stated price for it, but not if you're looking for a bargain and are happy to wait until the next production run.  I have pre-ordered a Baccy 94xx and will be pre-ordering Hornby Collett non-gangwayed bowenders as soon as the Hornby website unclogs itself, and accept that I might be spending more than I strictly needed to, not that I will take that as much consolation when 94xx start being available for £80 a pop, or the Collets for £30...

Pre-ordering is useful to the manufacturer, though; it is as close as they can get to guaranteed sales and a good indicator of demand.  To answer the original question, only you can decide if it is necessary or advisable.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

As suggested, it really is going to depend on the model.

Some models demand a pre-order (and sometimes a deposit) or you will not get a model.

Many models require no pre-order at all, and when they come out there are plenty left at the manufacturer as well as the stockists.

Others become sold out at the manufacturer before they are delivered, but stockists still have some once released - but you may not get the keenest price;

And still others become sold out at both the manufacturer and the stockists before (or just as) the model is released.

So no really easy answer.

Edit for typos.

Edited by Andy Hayter

I tend to pre order the first issue of Hornby Pecketts sold out well before issue, though pre ordering does not always guarantee that you will get them I ordered 2 sets of the Hornby rebuilt LSWR suburban coaces one in SR green and one in crimson the order was put in the day after they were announced when they became available I received an email that they had not been supplied with enough to forfil their advanced orders l put in an order to Hornby and they had stock.

• RMweb Premium

I’m the same, never pre-ordered anything in 20 years, until last week when I pre-ordered a Bachmann 37 area rep ltd edition, for the reasons already mentioned.

I doubt I’d pre-order a regular catalogue item though. I know I’ll end up buying a construction liveried Hornby cl60 when it arrives in the retailers, but I’d quite like to see it first. Partly to make sure the colours are accurate this time, partly because if I can see it on a shelf before I buy it, it feels like more of rational purchase somehow.

Total cobblers of course, but it just feels like I’ve put a little more thought into parting with a three figure sum.

I did consider pre-ordering an H&P Peckett when it first came out, but I decided not to as it was a brand new model and I wanted to see one in the flesh/running before I bought one.

Of course, by the time I saw one, most of the traders had either sold out , or were cashing in on demand with prices well above RRP. 

I did not preorder, saw it on here when it was released decided it was a purchase and got one before the crazy prices occurred from Hereford (always helps to look beyond the likes of Hattons and Rails - all too often it seems a "Model is Sold Out" theme arises simply because Hattons have no more).. Generally do not preorder unless it a specific special like the Hornby Club H and in many ways it advantageous to wait to see what the actual model turns out like as their have been a number of erroneous first editions subsequently corrected (Dapol DRS 68 for example) plus if something does not sell out then its going to be cheaper in the long term.

I pre ordered a Bachmann Wainwright class C in the fully lined green and a Hornby Wainwright class H in the same livery. They are both so beautiful looking I didn’t want to miss out. The latter was £78. I think it was a good investment.

I think that if a loco has a very appealing livery it’s likely to be popular and it’s worth pre ordering.

• RMweb Gold

Having never pre-ordered anything ever before (apart from take-aways) including non model orientated purchases but at the same time never having been unable to source a product, I wonder if there is any real need to order in advance.

Arguably, production runs are limited to a degree and the pre-order guarantees an item; it would be interesting to see if any member has ever had call to regret not ordering in advance.

I missed out on the "Bluebell" C class by not pre-ordering.

Didn't do Bachmann or Hornby any good either. I canned the idea of putting together a Bluebell-themed collection because I couldn't get one without paying daft money.

I seethed a bit for a few months but (TBH) if I buy stuff that doesn't fit my real interests, it doesn't get run and I tend to flog it on after a couple of years anyway.

I did order (and get) a H&P Peckett, though it's my least favourite out of my three, and I'd rather have a MSC one which I could have had but didn't.

If something really matters to me, I pre-order.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Funnily enough the H&P Peckett was one I did pre order as it was down as Sold Out at Hornby and a few of the retailers.

The new issue of them is the only pre order I currently have as I thought they would make a nice pair.

Jason

A good example of "why pre-order" is the debacle surrounding the Hornby "Exeter" release two years back now.

Even some folks who pre-ordered found themselves NOT getting the loco. Hornby relented after that mess and created a second run to placate the populace.

Answer generally is, if you really want a specific item, best to pre-order as that's the BEST chance to get it, though no guarantee <sigh>

I did not preorder, saw it on here when it was released decided it was a purchase and got one before the crazy prices occurred from Hereford (always helps to look beyond the likes of Hattons and Rails - all too often it seems a "Model is Sold Out" theme arises simply because Hattons have no more).. Generally do not preorder unless it a specific special like the Hornby Club H and in many ways it advantageous to wait to see what the actual model turns out like as their have been a number of erroneous first editions subsequently corrected (Dapol DRS 68 for example) plus if something does not sell out then its going to be cheaper in the long term.

It certainly wasn't just Hattons that sold out of Pecketts - one of my local (Reading) dealers ordered 12 H&P Pecketts from Hornby but only got 4.

It depends on a number of factors. I would say, in general, you have been lucky. As other posters have indicated, some models come out and sell out straight away - in a few cases, they sell out on the pre-orders. Other models sit on the shelves and come down in price later if you are prepared to wait. However, if you wait for the 'wrong' model, you can miss out completely or end up chasing one at a premium price (whatever the seller thinks they can get).

Which models need pre-ordering and which ones are 'safe' to wait for? That's not always a predictable answer.

Someone mentioned the Huntley & Palmers Peckett earlier ... I think I got the last one in Australia, and I was very lucky to get it at a still reasonable price, before the rare examples that did come back on the market shot up in price. I didn't pre-order because up until the point I bought it, I didn't even know I wanted one! :D  :laugh:

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

It’s all down to taking a little gamble ;) , you might not get it if you don’t and there’s no way of knowing in advance what the reason is. With the Peckett demand outstripped supply, with the Heljan L&B loco only a fraction were delivered but thanks to the pre order I saved £40 a loco over buying one from the second batch! The H&P Peckett is being rerun so sometimes you get a second chance too but there’s no guarantee.

If I really want something then I will usually pre order now just in case as I wouldn’t wait around hoping for a discount that may never happen or a crystal ball ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

I have never pre-ordered anything and have not missed out on models I wanted. Reasons for not pre-ordering ? I prefer to see what the real model looks like before buying, my financial situation may change between pre-order and delivery dates (especially nowadays), and last but not least, stingily I like to order a number of items at the same time to get the maximum benefit from flat rate postal charges !

My sole pre-orders have been for the NRM productions of DP1, Ivatt atlantic and Stirling single. Each of those was a definitely wanted item that I thought might 'evaporate', and then also to express support for the NRM, because there's a considerable further pile of items from the national collection that could use models. (There was a tertiary consideration on the last of them, effectively a vote on which tender got made, glad I participated to get the right one done.)

Regular releases, never pre-ordered, never missed out. I might if something really funky was proposed, Gresley restaurant triplet, pair of quad arts, Coronation set.

• RMweb Premium

I think we talk ourselves into pre ordering sometimes when there's no need . Its the fear of missing out, especially with the sporadic batch production we seem to have .I'm wondering about The Hornby Scotrail HST . Should I preorder or not . Do you want to take a risk that the model you really want sells out?   On the other hand its only a model . Hardly life or death.   And if I do preorder what happens if theres a QC issue ?  Should I wait and make a trip to Edinburgh so I can deal with a shop?

• RMweb Premium

I pre-ordered the NRM APT model as there wasn't much alternative and it was a model I'd always wanted and never expected to be made. However it'd take something equally special to tempt me to pre-order, I very rarely miss a model I want and if I do it's hardly the end of the world. I'd rather wait to see the final product and also not have financial commitments accumulating from pre-ordering models (I think if you pre-order it's only fair to honour that commitment unless there is a silly delay or price hike in which case it's fair to cancel on the basis that conditions have changed at the supplier side).

• RMweb Premium

Many moons ago I pre-ordered the Heljan DP2, when it arrived I was so disappointed by the way it looked I vowed never to pre-order again. Yes I have missed out on models I would have liked but I have a fully operational model railway that in reality doesn't need any more stock.