Scotrail new 385 in Ashford, Kent

• RMweb Premium

Bit of excitement in local news today after a lorry carrying a train had a bit of an incident with a van at Ashford. What is interesting is why is a new build driving unit of a Scotrail 385 visiting (presumably) the Hitachi Depot in Ashford in Kent?!

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/man-carrying-piece-of-wood-in-roundabout-squabble-196671/

Edited by NaN
  • Like 1

Not the windscreen mods, they’re being done up here. I think it’s either a unit that’s been built at Pistola in Italy, or is coming.back from one of the European test tracks.

It's one of the Japanese build that's come in via Southampton.

Edited by Simon Bendall

Bit of excitement in local news today after a lorry carrying a train had a bit of an incident with a van at Ashford. What is interesting is why is a new build driving unit of a Scotrail 385 visiting (presumably) the Hitachi Depot in Ashford in Kent?!https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/man-carrying-piece-of-wood-in-roundabout-squabble-196671/

Bit of wood? Looks more like a baseball bat to me!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit of wood? Looks more like a baseball bat to me!

Love the comments on the webpage.

the picture is playing with my head as regards angles, surely the wood should be at a 90 degree angle to allow for the knuckles to scrape along the ground:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love the comments on the webpage.

the picture is playing with my head as regards angles, surely the wood should be at a 90 degree angle to allow for the knuckles to scrape along the ground:)

The comments on KM articles can often bring some amusement...sadly sometimes also unpleasant ones too. I remain amazed that they allow what seems unmoderated comments on almost all articles.

• RMweb Gold

"Anyone with a weapon and apparent intent who approaches my vehicle is liable to get run over, I'm afraid. They could be a terrorist for all I know."

Are baseball bats now the weapon of choice for terrorists?

The comments on KM articles can often bring some amusement...sadly sometimes also unpleasant ones too. I remain amazed that they allow what seems unmoderated comments on almost all articles.

Some other news websites close comments eventually which limits the unpleasant stuff simply by stopping huge arguments carrying on too long - I don’t think KM do this although that might be to do with the software. My favourite one here is the ‘plank carrying a piece of wood’ comment :jester:

Maybe because it’s going through Kent, someone thinks because it’s come from over the water, so it must be a illegal immigrant lol.

I hope it's not going through Kent - Both Southampton and Eastleigh are in Hampshire!!

..... I think it’s either a unit that’s been built at Pistola in Italy, or is coming.back from one of the European test tracks.

It's one of the Japanese build that's come in via Southampton.

The first pre-series trains were built in Japan and delivered a long time ago (2016/17 'ish).

My understanding is that 10 trains were completed in Japan and the remaining 60 have been assembled at Newton Aycliffe.

More than half the fleet have been delivered by New Year.

Non of the Class 385 order has been built at Pistoia, but the first 4 Japanese built trains were used for testing and did not have their interiors fitted out.

These were sent to the Italian facility a few months ago for interior fit out and post production modifications.

These 4 sets had been used for network compatibility testing and type testing, with 385001 and 385102 used in Scotland, while 385002 and 385101 underwent tests in Velim (Czech Republic) and Germany.

They are due to be returned to the UK in February and March.

This reminds me of a headline in the Portsmouth evening paper about 30 years ago "Police officer run over by tram at Southsea". It transpired that rather than being ancient news from the 1920's it was indeed current news. 

An articulated tram destined for Manchester was being delivered by road via Portsmouth from mainland Europe. the policeman was directing traffic and the overhang from the tram  on the corner knocked him over!

• 4 months later...
On 14/01/2019 at 10:54, Ron Ron Ron said:

The first pre-series trains were built in Japan and delivered a long time ago (2016/17 'ish).

My understanding is that 10 trains were completed in Japan and the remaining 60 have been assembled at Newton Aycliffe.

More than half the fleet have been delivered by New Year.

Non of the Class 385 order has been built at Pistoia, but the first 4 Japanese built trains were used for testing and did not have their interiors fitted out.

These were sent to the Italian facility a few months ago for interior fit out and post production modifications.

These 4 sets had been used for network compatibility testing and type testing, with 385001 and 385102 used in Scotland, while 385002 and 385101 underwent tests in Velim (Czech Republic) and Germany.

They are due to be returned to the UK in February and March.

Class 66 with what looked like 2 x class 385 units passing through Stevenage on Wednesday around 06.45 with a collection of barrier wagons. Realtime trains says train from Dollands Moor to the Hitachi factory. Did not see unit numbers, but could they be the units noted above? 

Nick