Train Spotters waiting for a train

GeoffinOz

We, here we go again.

Not many ideas posted yet so I am thinking about having a few boys sitting on an Embankment by a main line cutting with two tracks and a water trough in the tracks. waiting to see the wave of water.

Have done research and found the troughs were 17" wide and 5" deep made of sheet metal in 30' lengths and pegged every other sleeper. Water level was about 1.5" above track height and the ends were inclined to keep the water level and no obstacle to catch scoop, luckily the boys will be in the middle of the run so I don't have to worry about that.

I have another idea, a bus waiting at a level crossing for the train to come past, but that can wait, 

• Like 6

Start has been made.

The plan is this.

post-33077-0-53196600-1547169054_thumb.jpg

The sleepers are being respaced.

Have cut them but not spaced evenly. had to super glue the end ones because they kept falling apart.

post-33077-0-42287200-1547169152_thumb.jpg

The base is foam board and the embankment is card formed

post-33077-0-47388400-1547169183_thumb.jpg

post-33077-0-89704200-1547169202_thumb.jpg

Will have to make another tree now.

Will put it on top of Embankment outside the fence

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Start has been made.

The plan is this.

attachicon.gifWaiting 01.JPG

The sleepers are being respaced.

Have cut them but not spaced evenly. had to super glue the end ones because they kept falling apart.

attachicon.gifWaiting 02.JPG

The base is foam board and the embankment is card formed

attachicon.gifWaiting 03.JPG

attachicon.gifWaiting 04.JPG

Will have to make another tree now.

Will put it on top of Embankment outside the fence

I like your idea Geoff, don't see many water troughs modelled and your an old hand at tree making now.

How will you model the water?

All the best 

Mark

I like your idea Geoff, don't see many water troughs modelled and your an old hand at tree making now.

How will you model the water?

All the best 

Mark

Thanks Mark.  have not thought of the water yet but might try either varnish or one of the commercial water products.

The embankment is growing, it now has grass, fence and the Water troughs made from I beam

post-33077-0-64208500-1547775268_thumb.jpg

Planted some bulbs, weeds and a small tree

post-33077-0-50179400-1547775351_thumb.jpg

post-33077-0-26635500-1547775384_thumb.jpg

painted the fence and broken a hole for the train spotters to get through.

also some brambles.

Now have to go to the shops to buy a pack of School children and some water

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Well, change of plan. The children are not allowed to be behind the fence without a responsible adult. so they are here and so is the water.

IMG_5271.JPG.1193c457caa034b2d0c4a3792be2a10e.JPGI think the man with the green tee shirt will do as the Dad and the child with the backpack and the one waving his hands.

Has anyone used this water product, will it keep if I don't use it all? 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, GeoffinOz said:

Well, change of plan. The children are not allowed to be behind the fence without a responsible adult. so they are here and so is the water.

IMG_5271.JPG.1193c457caa034b2d0c4a3792be2a10e.JPGI think the man with the green tee shirt will do as the Dad and the child with the backpack and the one waving his hands.

Has anyone used this water product, will it keep if I don't use it all? 

Nice work Geoff, looking excellent.

I would advise having a practice with the water on an off cut of the trough if you haven't used it before. Sometimes its best to have several thin layers as opposed to filling in one go.

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not got around to going to Bendigo to change my water kit but have been to Bunnings and bought a bottle of Craft Varnish and have made a start on the water in the troughs1619025753_sunlight1A.jpg.d7798f8a9a4ba9584ea6d8304b59b3a7.jpg 

The sun was steaming in the window and I thought that that would show up the water better, you can see the tape at the end to stop the varnish running out.358543993_sunlight2A.jpg.a9f00b67a56e6f68f12ad3d8593c17b8.jpg

I like the fence shadow but might make the hole bigger by breaking the other side or removing another picket.

• Like 4

The boss has just seen some of the other entries and recons mine is a bit clinical, with all that water around shouldn't there be more grass and weeds growing at the wall base? so I will have to plant weeds around the edge.