Any fellow Spur 1 guys here? Anyone have the Märklin BR 41?

seeseerider

Hi All,

I can't see much gauge 1 discussion going on - anyone else here in England into continental gauge 1 modelling? Märklin, KM1, Dingler etc? I'm looking for a place where people discuss the latest models etc. 

I'm in the process of expanding my layout and collection. I find it surprising how little people discuss all the great German Gauge 1 models. 

Right now, I'm about to order Märklin 55413, anyone here have it?

regards,

Thomas

• RMweb Premium

Would love to. I daydream happily about gauge 1; the models are fantastic but for now that's the closest I get. Obviously, it's a scale prioritising quality over quantity, but that still leaves the need to focus on particular prototypes in a market where almost all models are in very short runs that sell out quickly. Märklin is surely the only exception to that!

Funnily enough I have just been trawling throigh the "0 Gauge and larger" section looking for anything on Gauge 1. The "1" seems to foil the search... I have an old Marklin AC engine somewhere, and a Piko something or other... One day I will do something useful with it. In the meantime I am modelling up a 16t mineral wagon to be 3d printable...

Thanks guys. Well I’ve been reliably informed by several private messages that this is not the place for Gauge 1. I think that’s sad, and surprising, as someone who has personally modelled in z, n, ho, OO, O, G and 1 at various times in my life I can only recommend 1 gauge as the ultimate for German/continental modeling. It’s a shame there isn’t more of a market for it here. Since approx 2010, the whole market changed for the better - much higher quality models at better prices. It’s not like it was in the 1980s.... But hey guys that’s cool - leaves more for me! Haha.

Good luck and Viel Spaß!

T.

Have seen recent videos of the latest KM1 models in spur 1, and they are most impressive to say the least. They say you pay for quality, and this is true regarding these models

However even the size of my garden would hardly do justice to these large scale models, so I stay with my N, and sneak a look at the videos every now and then. One can but dream!

Have seen recent videos of the latest KM1 models in spur 1, and they are most impressive to say the least. They say you pay for quality, and this is true regarding these models

However even the size of my garden would hardly do justice to these large scale models, so I stay with my N, and sneak a look at the videos every now and then. One can but dream!

You do not need such a large garden for German Spur 1:

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 1

Well I’ve been reliably informed by several private messages that this is not the place for Gauge 1

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of ill informed modellers(un reliable), and it sounds like they don't know what Gauge 1 is(1/32 scale) as opposed to G gauge which can be any scale from 1/20 to 1/29!! There some very nice German Gauge 1 layouts being exhibed in Britain, and they are definitelygaug 1, not G gauge.

German models don't interest me specifucally, more into French ones but I am building a small Gauge 1 layout with initially a British theme.

Thanks guys. Well I’ve been reliably informed by several private messages that this is not the place for Gauge 1. I think that’s sad, and surprising, as someone who has personally modelled in z, n, ho, OO, O, G and 1 at various times in my life I can only recommend 1 gauge as the ultimate for German/continental modeling. It’s a shame there isn’t more of a market for it here. Since approx 2010, the whole market changed for the better - much higher quality models at better prices. It’s not like it was in the 1980s.... But hey guys that’s cool - leaves more for me! Haha.

Good luck and Viel Spaß!

T.

Hi,

I built and painted O gauge models for a few years and wonder sometimes about building gauge 1 as a hobby when I get tired of working on my big layout and want (need?) something more sedentary to do.  As you've been advised this is not the place then I was wondering where is the place to get to know gauge 1.

Happy to receive any reply by PM if preferred so as not to clutter up the thread.

Cheers … Alan

Hi,

I was wondering where is the place to get to know gauge 1.

Cheers … Alan

Alan,

The Gauge 1 Model Railway Association has a website with some information (and more if you become a member): http://www.g1mra.com/ For German gauge 1 there are a number of resources in Germany like this forum: http://www.s1gf.de/index.php?page=Index and this on-line Gauge 1 news site: https://spur1info.com/

Regards

Fred

• Like 1

As there is no specific sub-forum for 'German Model Railways' or 'Real German Railways', I think threads about modelling German Railways in any scale are OK here, alongside threads about the real thing.

Thanks, Ian!

As co-moderator on here (& founder!) I suppose I ought to state that certainly as far as I'm concerned, ANYTHING to do with railways in Germany is welcome here from the real thing, historical and current to modelling in any/all scales - if it runs on rails, it is good!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Most recent German Gauge 1 products are 1:32, however many British Gauge 1 products are 10 mm to the foot (about 1:30.5).

Regards

Fred

I think opinion is divided in UK, I prefer 1/32 scale as not only is it nearer to scale track gauge but also there are a lot of accessories available because it is probably the biggest scale for 'toys'.Try finding a source of 10mm/ft scale road vehicles for a start.We have that chap Greenley to blame for 10mm/ft. The original Thomas TV series used models in 10mm/ft with Marklin chassis, and probably gave 10mm/ft a big boost. Odd that the Germans opt to use a purely imperial scale yet we seem to push a mixed up metric/imperial scale.

Thanks guys. Well I’ve been reliably informed by several private messages that this is not the place for Gauge 1. I think that’s sad.

Sad?

I find it disgusting that such narrow minded bigots exist, let alone have the cheek to write to you in PMs.

How about you name and shame?

I have always liked Gauge 1 German and remember a shed scene at the old Oxford GRS show.

I was very tempted by a P8 but lack the room to be able to run it realistically.

Don't let the *****loks get you down.

Bernard

Sad?

I find it disgusting that such narrow minded bigots exist, let alone have the cheek to write to you in PMs.

I have always liked Gauge 1 German and remember a shed scene at the old Oxford GRS show.

I was very tempted by a P8 but lack the room to be able to run it realistically.

Bernard

I was one of such people to give suggestions of other forums with more G1 activity, however I never implied it wasnt welcome here, and that was never my intent.  

However I have noticed after several years here that larger scale modelling is very much a minority of a minority and if you come here expecting activity beyond what you make yourself, you will be waiting a while.  

Which is why Ive moved my own large scale modelling to more active forums.  

Still doesnt make RMweb a bad place for good discussion and impressive modelling.  

Sad?

Bernard

Thank you Bernard for the encouragement. Don't worry, I'm not too sad. I wish everyone well with their modelling, regardless of scale. I only hoped that there were a few more people here in England actively buying, and running Gauge 1 rolling stock. But yes, it is strange to me personally how enthusiastic HO gauge is here when there is not even a hint of enthusiasm for 1 Gauge. 

The newer tooling of Märklin's P8 is excellent value for money, and there are now so many different variants available. I'm getting the new DRG version that's just come out. I like Kiss' closed cab version too (It's also on my list!). 

I'm hopefully soon moving to a larger home where I will plan a new layout. 

Perhaps it would help if Gauge 1 was listed in the Scale Specific section rather than Model Engineering.

When I can this damned software upgrade done there will be a neat solution which could encourage participation even more.

• Like 1