Nové Město na Nedostatku

CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Following some test-playing, I've flipped the viewing side to being across the tracks to the station building, rather than have the station building in the foreground to the fore. Entry still on the right side and the helpful signalling info that JBr supplied still applies (options 3 or 4). Just need to cut the slots in the 2mm EVA foam for the brass tubes (wire in tube point operation, from the front), ditto for the wiring runs (to a socket mounted in the fascia panel on the right-hand end, into which the lead from my battery controller will plug) and the track can be fixed down and ballasted, then scenicing can commence. A Laser-cut station building and goods shed are en-route from the Czech Republic.

So the plan now looks like this:

46068239835_5c4179c9af_k.jpgIMG_20190202_133049 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

Etched point lever kits, derailers and a 3-aspect signal also arrived over the weekend (excellent service from www.pojezdy.eu ),

46982183121_b6714fb576_k.jpgIMG_20190202_120036 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

Fiddly, but doable - 2 of the point lever/indicators built in about 30 mins, ready for paint (and no... I'm not having working ones! :P )

and I've also built the ALSRacing motorised chassis kit for my LPH injection moulded 810 railcar kit and test-run that successfully. 2 of the other 3 kits have been built as 010 trailer cars

46929982172_caee8795dc_k.jpgIMG_20190203_142836 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

46929983172_1e548f471e_k.jpgIMG_20190203_143437 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

These will be finished in the modern CD red/cream scheme, once I can confirm the correct shades from any of the model paint ranges (any help here would be much appreciated)

Stanice_Moldava_v_Krusnych_horach,_motor

The remaining kit will also be a trailer car, but in the blue/white livery (again, any pointers for model paint range colour references would be good :) )

• Like 6

I guess you already know them, but just in case those are the RAL codes for the main colours of the 810 red/ivory scheme:

RAL 7002 olive grey -- roof
RAL 3003 ruby red -- body
RAL 1014 ivory -- stripe

AFAIK no big brand is doing those shades and the modellers I know usually just used regular acrylic spray paints you can buy in hobby stores. In UK it should be possible to buy those -- https://www.hiroboy.com/RAL_Paints_European_Standard_Colour_Range_60ml--product--1250.html -- they seem to be able to provide all possible shades. 

Don't forget to use some putty to get rid of the cavities above the front windows on 010 trailers as they don't have headligths, only the 810 cars do.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, JBr said:

I guess you already know them, but just in case those are the RAL codes for the main colours of the 810 red/ivory scheme:

RAL 7002 olive grey -- roof
RAL 3003 ruby red -- body
RAL 1014 ivory -- stripe

AFAIK no big brand is doing those shades and the modellers I know usually just used regular acrylic spray paints you can buy in hobby stores. In UK it should be possible to buy those -- https://www.hiroboy.com/RAL_Paints_European_Standard_Colour_Range_60ml--product--1250.html -- they seem to be able to provide all possible shades. 

Don't forget to use some putty to get rid of the cavities above the front windows on 010 trailers as they don't have headligths, only the 810 cars do.

And also remove the exhaust on the roof for the 010's. Ideally the ridges require extending bug haven't found a suitable way to match the rest of the moulded ridges

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the colour matches, guys, much appreciated.

Any ideas for the blue/white livery, please? I've tried various google search queries, but to no avail.

Ian - yup, I'd noticed that the 010 trailers didn't have the exhaust and that has now been removed from the 3 rooves in question. I'll look at ways of adding the missing ribs - I've done similar before in 4mm using pared-down microstrip and/or brass wire, so will have a go later.

Edited by CloggyDog

33 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Any ideas for the blue/white livery, please? I've tried various google search queries, but to no avail.

Do you mean the current "Najbrt" corporate scheme? Or the old one "ODS scheme" of light grey, blue over windows and yellow on front? I tried to ask my friend who built his 810 in the ODS scheme and he said that all paints were mixed from various shades until he liked them, so no exact matches, just the old Mk.1 Eyeball method.

Najbrt colours:

RAL 7035 – light grey
RAL 5015 – sky blue (the lighter blue)
RAL 5003 – saphire blue (the darker blue)
RAL 7022 – umbra grey

BTW, Kuehn announced 810 railcars for next year, in both red/ivory and corporate schemes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Doing a general browse around the net (as you do) for M152/810 info, I found this snippet on the DiskuseModely.biz forum

Colour solution for motor cars
including all ranges of wagons and driving wagons

A uniform color solution, previously introduced by the Rolling Stock Decree of 1997, is established with a combination of red and ivory shades on vehicle cabinets.
This color solution is uniform for all affected ranges: 809, 810, 811, 812, 830, 831, 842, 843, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854 as well as all trailer wagons for these wagons and also control wagons (943).

Specific Color Solution:

RAL 7002 - olive gray - vehicle roof

RAL 3003 - ruby red - vehicle cabinet incl. beams (outside the light longitudinal lane)
- protective plow (if designed for each series),
- the front of the roof above the windscreen (for the 809, 810, 811, 842, 843)
- handrails under the windscreens (if constructed),
- passenger door in the whole area

RAL 1014 - ivory - longitudinal decorative strip 600 mm wide in the window part made around the whole vehicle outside the passenger door (however, it covers the driver's cab door and the service or luggage compartments), handrails (except for front and stainless steel), longitudinal strip at the bottom edge of the plows.

RAL 7022 - umbra gray - travel, diesel tank and other components located under the main frame

RAL 9005 - deep black - pulling and pushing device

RAL 1003 - signal yellow - footrests and other safety features, lower edge of protective plow

Though I have also seen mention of RAL 1015 Ivory being used on models.

• Informative/Useful 1

There is no reason to be too strict regarding exact shades, it only takes few months and the weather does its job... :) (I only had my mobile phone with me, so it's not one of the best photos, but the difference is visible). The car on the left is just a month or so after repair & repaint (surprisingly it was not repainted in the "corporate" scheme).

sukafony.jpg

Edited by JBr
  • Like 3

And while now it may seem unbelievable, that heavily weathered little shunter on the left was actually painted exactly the same colors as 810 railcars many years ago.

legousek.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

My latest toy has arrived, a Kühn 749 (catalogue number 33412), finished in EpV CD red/white livery. Lovely model, very smooth and quiet runner.

Looking 'round the 'net for 749 pics for weathering inspiration, one thing that struck me was the randomeness of the 'dangly bits' either side of the bogie.

749-181+146.jpg

The lead loco here, 749 181 doesn't have them, but the rear machine, 749 146, does.

Now, I do have a resin shell for a Grumpy (cheap ex-ebay), which I might try and bodge to fit on the Kühn chassis, effectively giving me 2 locos for the price of one-and-a-bit. The resin shell has the 'danglies', but I doubt they would fit over the bogies, so I could take them off.

Really just wondering if there was any logic, rhyme or reason why some Grumpies had danglies and some not??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Are the ‘dangly bits’ part of a different suspension arrangement? Maybe two batches with slightly different specs or mods due to some problem?

I think so, but they appear to be fitted seemingly randomly across the various batches  - I think I have photos of most/all batches and if there is a pattern, it's pretty damn obscure!

It's not a critical (or even minor) issue to my Grumpy modelling, I was merely curious :)

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2019 at 16:05, CloggyDog said:

Really just wondering if there was any logic, rhyme or reason why some Grumpies had danglies and some not??

The 'danglies' or bogie slings were as built but were gradually changed ad hoc on many with rubber mounted columns from the mid 90's and provided quieter operation in track curves plus reduced wheel wear. Thats according to the Bardotky book that has Czech German and English narrative all in the one book.

20190425_181311.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress has been slow of late, awaiting delivery of the KB Models laser-cut main structures (Station and freight shed), plus platform facings and assorted scenic details from the Czech Republic - just had an email to say they should definitely be on their way next week :D

In the meantime I've (finally) glued the track in place with the wire-in-tube point mechanisms inset into the eva foam and made sure the points still throw (a nasty moment when I realised I'd spread the pva too liberally and included the area under the point tiebars... simple strips of paper resolved that one!) and that trains still run.

The 5mm ply for the fascia, backscene and endplates is sourced, cut to size and ready to fit and a few more wagon kits have been built, some have even had paint applied!

Nove Mesto has it's first public outing, very much as a WIP, at Maidenhead Club's summer show at Knowl Hill village hall tomorrow, Sat 8th June.

http://www.mmdmrc.org.uk/2019-summer-exhibition.htmlPP63

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Things have been slowly progressing and the basic scenics are now pretty much there. The display 'box' of fascia, back board and end plates will go on next with the sockets for track and lighting feeds mounted through the right-hand end plate. 

LED strips (1 warm, 1 cool) across the top front to light the whole scene evenly. 

And some more stock has been acquired, including some laser cut timber wagons from Melá železnice. 

Debut outing is just over a month away at the Kenavon show in East Reading on Sat 22nd Feb. 

IMG_20200118_141025.jpg

IMG_20200119_112730.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just about there with Nové Město na Nedostatku. Some minor scenic work to do (vehicles, people, detritus), but it's basically ready for its first outing at the Kenavon exhibition in East Reading, Saturday 22 Feb.

I might revisit the backscene at some point in the future, I used a panoramic photo I took from the train at the real station (Nové Město pod Smrkem) on the railtour a few years back, but it'll suffice for now.

I'll need to spend a couple of evenings fettling the stock

IMG_20200206_190925.jpg

IMG_20200206_192745.jpg

IMG_20200206_192652.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few pics from the Kenavon show last weekend, showing the show set-up and a couple more closeups of the weathered Grumpy and stock. 

I sadly ran out of time to build and install the signal, but will do so before the next outing (likely to be Globalrail at the end of May) 

IMG_20200228_082803.jpg

IMG_20200222_095223.jpg

IMG_20200222_095306.jpg

• Like 5

Congratulations on the first public display! :) 

Since I know it is still work in progress and you will be adding more finishing touches, I'd recommend not to hesitate to add much more grass and "greenery" in general. Since it is a terminus of a branch line, there should definitely be much more green everywhere. Between the track, inside the track... Something along the lines of this photo.  

Few years back I wrote an article about various devices and things that can make your layout more real, detailed etc. for my train modelling website. The site is now gone and it was in Czech only anyway, but I found the article and pictures from it on my harddrive few weeks back and decided to translate it to English, as it may help foreign modellers with interest in Czechoslovak/Czech/Slovak railways. I will post the link to it when I'm finished translating it.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3