Nové Město na Nedostatku

CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, JBr said:

Congratulations on the first public display! :) 

Since I know it is still work in progress and you will be adding more finishing touches, I'd recommend not to hesitate to add much more grass and "greenery" in general. Since it is a terminus of a branch line, there should definitely be much more green everywhere. Between the track, inside the track... Something along the lines of this photo.  

Few years back I wrote an article about various devices and things that can make your layout more real, detailed etc. for my train modelling website. The site is now gone and it was in Czech only anyway, but I found the article and pictures from it on my harddrive few weeks back and decided to translate it to English, as it may help foreign modellers with interest in Czechoslovak/Czech/Slovak railways. I will post the link to it when I'm finished translating it.

Many thanks JBr, I was trying not to go overboard with the green, but I can see this is definitely a case of 'more is more'! I have plenty more tufts I can lay around the tracks. 

And I am definitely looking forward to seeing your article, many thanks for going to the trouble of translating it and making it available. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JBr said:

Congratulations on the first public display! :) 

Since I know it is still work in progress and you will be adding more finishing touches, I'd recommend not to hesitate to add much more grass and "greenery" in general. Since it is a terminus of a branch line, there should definitely be much more green everywhere. Between the track, inside the track... Something along the lines of this photo.  

Few years back I wrote an article about various devices and things that can make your layout more real, detailed etc. for my train modelling website. The site is now gone and it was in Czech only anyway, but I found the article and pictures from it on my harddrive few weeks back and decided to translate it to English, as it may help foreign modellers with interest in Czechoslovak/Czech/Slovak railways. I will post the link to it when I'm finished translating it.

image.png

Please do. Perhaps start a separate thread? 

On 17/02/2020 at 12:30, CloggyDog said:

Spent much of the weekend frantically painting, decalling and weathering stock ready for next Saturday (Kenavon show, East Reading) and doing a bit more scenic titivation. 

IMG_20200214_235052.jpg

IMG_20200214_233643.jpg

IMG_20200214_233228.jpg

I always find the run up to an exhibition a tad frantic.......

3 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

Many thanks JBr, I was trying not to go overboard with the green, but I can see this is definitely a case of 'more is more'! I have plenty more tufts I can lay around the tracks. 

And I am definitely looking forward to seeing your article, many thanks for going to the trouble of translating it and making it available. 

Agreed. Can't get too much of this sort of thing. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2020 at 12:55, JBr said:

I'd recommend not to hesitate to add much more grass and "greenery" in general. Since it is a terminus of a branch line, there should definitely be much more green everywhere. Between the track, inside the track... 

Following JBr's advice, I added a whole lot more green, a combination of ready-to-stick tufts and Noch static grass from their little puffer bottle. 

And he was absolutely right, more green does properly give it that end of sleepy branch feel. 

One I've decided what is doing in the back corners, I'll add some green in those as well. The right back corner where the loading pad is will get either a coal hopper style structure, or perhaps a logging grab, with suitable articulated trailers. 

Vehicles are my next need... Plenty of vintage vehicles (Trabbies, IFAs, etc) out there, but very little in the way of modern (post-2000) ordinary 'porridge' motors, vans and lorries seem available in TT :(

IMG_20200229_175651.jpg

IMG_20200229_175803.jpg

• Like 4

Cool! I found a photos from a walk around one small branch line terminus I took 11 years ago, while I was waiting for my fiance (now wife) who was checking her wedding dress in a shop few streets away... I will post them together with the "details" article, hopefully later this evening :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2020 at 12:55, JBr said:

image.png

I know the pics was posted to show the greenness of the scene, but I'm curious about the 3 coaches behind the pair of 742s...what type are they and, perhaps equally important, are they available in any form in TT? 

They aren't 010 cars, but equally they don't look like Typ Ys. :scratchhead:

6 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

I know the pics was posted to show the greenness of the scene, but I'm curious about the 3 coaches behind the pair of 742s...what type are they and, perhaps equally important, are they available in any form in TT? 

They aren't 010 cars, but equally they don't look like Typ Ys. :scratchhead:

Those are type Bmx coaches, originally built in 1960s as coaches for the class 850/851 railcars. They were fairly common on fast trains between Jihlava and Pardubice. Those days, there were two pairs running every day, one pair in the morning and the other in the afternoon, usually led by class 854 railcar with Bmx or Bdtn coaches (2 coaches from Monday to Friday, 1 coach during the weekend).  There was a time period in which class 854 from Brno depot suffered lots of technical problems and it was quite usual that there was a class 742 or 750/754 loco running the train instead. In such case there were 3/2 coaches to make up for the missing seats from the rail car.

The story behind the pair of 742 is simple. The one at the back broke down in the morning and another one was sent to Pardubice during the day to run the afternoon train, towing the broken one back to the depot too.

And the last answer -- yes, those coaches are available from MTB, but they are bit pricey... Local price is about 75 EUR. https://www.mtb-model.com/pages/product.php?id=188&lang=en&meritko=TT

• Informative/Useful 3

OK, so here you go... There are many things that could be included in the details text, hence part 1. I will make a part 2 when I'm able to go through my photo archive and pick right photos.  Please let me know if something is not clear or doesn't make sense, it is very hard to find a Czech/English dictionary of railway terms, so I am using literal translation for some items of the Czech terminology.

Station details, part 1 -- http://vlacky.brozek.org/en/details1.html

Lanškroun station photo walk -- http://vlacky.brozek.org/en/lanskroun.html

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, JBr said:

OK, so here you go... There are many things that could be included in the details text, hence part 1. I will make a part 2 when I'm able to go through my photo archive and pick right photos.  Please let me know if something is not clear or doesn't make sense, it is very hard to find a Czech/English dictionary of railway terms, so I am using literal translation for some items of the Czech terminology.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do all of this. 

Very useful. 

Rob 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, JBr said:

I remember travelling on this line in 2006 sitting on the bench seat of a class 020 trailer alongside the conductor on his radio to the driver as the class 810 was pushing us form the mainline to the terminus of Lanskroun as the loop had wagons in it.

Lanskroun2006_(0006).JPG

Lanskroun2006_(0002).JPG

• Like 5

On 29/02/2020 at 18:13, CloggyDog said:

Vehicles are my next need... Plenty of vintage vehicles (Trabbies, IFAs, etc) out there, but very little in the way of modern (post-2000) ordinary 'porridge' motors, vans and lorries seem available in TT :(

If you are willing to compromise a little bit on scale, then there is quite a big selection of modern cars available in 1:100

https://www.google.com/search?q=cars+1:100&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01vazswHrGZm2r_5UtPT3xHatvHEw:1583746067366&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZz4nuiY3oAhXaMMAKHUZlBf4Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1536&bih=728

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Globalrail outing went fairly well, my thanks to @Taigatrommeland Mark Begley for operating whilst I was running the exhibition. They'll be pleased to hear I have sorted the dodgy point since. (I just ran out  of time in the lead up to the show) .

I've finally had the time (again, post - Globalrail) to redo the backscene. Same image as before, a panoramic view of Nové Město pod Smrkem, but brightened up and correctly sized using the free Posteriza software. 

Another loco has joined the fleet, a 742 from MTB and I've been fitting couplings to the 810/010s at last. 

Next outing will be to Bracknell exhibition on the 30th October and the layout will hopefully be featured in the October 2022 issue of Continental Modeller. 

IMG_20220708_112833.jpg

IMG_20220708_112839.jpg

IMG_20220701_165644.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The layout was featured in the October 2022 Continental Modeller, my thanks to Andrew Burnham (CM editor) for the excellent photos he took at Globalrail back in the summer of 2022.

Nové Město has a few exhibition invites confirmed for 2023:

Wealden Railway Group at Steyning, Sunday 12 March

Bentley Model Railway Group at Calne, Sat 15 & Sun 16 April

TT Modellers Day in Cheltenham on Sun 2nd July

Mid-Essex MRC at Shenfield Saturday 16 September

Newbury MRC at Newbury, Saturday 28 October

And I have a few days over in Prague in late March, there'll no doubt be a few trips out to model shops 😉

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

The layout was featured in the October 2022 Continental Modeller, my thanks to Andrew Burnham (CM editor) for the excellent photos he took at Globalrail back in the summer of 2022.

Nové Město has a few exhibition invites confirmed for 2023:

Wealden Railway Group at Steyning, Sunday 12 March

Bentley Model Railway Group at Calne, Sat 15 & Sun 16 April

TT Modellers Day in Cheltenham on Sun 2nd July

Mid-Essex MRC at Shenfield Saturday 16 September

Newbury MRC at Newbury, Saturday 28 October

And I have a few days over in Prague in late March, there'll no doubt be a few trips out to model shops 😉

A TT modeller’s day sounds interesting . Smrzovka hasn’t been out for some years now. We will be not that far from there that day but unfortunately will be doing a private meet with our US layout that weekend

Edited by roundhouse

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

A TT modeller’s day sounds interesting . Smrzovka hasn’t been out for some years now. We will be not that far from there that day but unfortunately will be doing a private meet with our US layout that weekend

Shamelessly taking the chance to plug, here's the basic info: 

I have a few emails to catch up with on the subject of the event this week, I've had a busy few days!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2023 at 14:24, CloggyDog said:

Managed 3 model shops in the end, 2 in/near Prague (ES Pečky in Pečky and U krále železnic in Prague) 1 in Budapest (Mediker, behind Buda Castle) for a total acquisition of 2 CD, 3 MAV, 1 PKP and 1 DB wagons in either RTR or kit form. Some of which will be in use at the BMRG's show in Calne this coming weekend (15/16 April) https://www.bmrg.org.uk/index.php

Had a couple of train rides, out and back to Kutna Hora for the Sedlec Ossary (via Pečky on the return) and then the EC277 Prague to Budapest, which took an hour longer than scheduled due to engineering works and single-line working in a couple of places. Also did the rather good Hungarian Railway Museum in Budapest.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Managed 3 model shops in the end, 2 in/near Prague (ES Pečky in Pečky and U krále železnic in Prague) 1 in Budapest (Mediker, behind Buda Castle) for a total acquisition of 2 CD, 3 MAV, 1 PKP and 1 DB wagons in either RTR or kit form. Some of which will be in use at the BMRG's show in Calne this coming weekend (15/16 April) https://www.bmrg.org.uk/index.php

Had a couple of train rides, out and back to Kutna Hora for the Sedlec Ossary (via Pečky on the return) and then the EC277 Prague to Budapest, which took an hour longer than scheduled due to engineering works and single-line working in a couple of places. Also did the rather good Hungarian Railway Museum in Budapest.

Good to hear thatES in Pecky is still going as I did try finding it on Google maps but it didn’t show up at the time.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Good to hear thatES in Pecky is still going as I did try finding it on Google maps but it didn’t show up at the time.

Shows on googlemaps as František Dvořáček and is an easy 5 minutes walk from Pečky station

image.png.8153ce982261d118240f207c2a410762.png

Decent selection of new and used RTR in H0, TT and N, plus their ranges of detailing bits 'n' bobs, wagon loads, wagon kits (both their own brand and the SDV Models range). I could easily have blown the holiday budget (and more) in there!

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Shows on googlemaps as František Dvořáček and is an easy 5 minutes walk from Pečky station

image.png.8153ce982261d118240f207c2a410762.png

Decent selection of new and used RTR in H0, TT and N, plus their ranges of detailing bits 'n' bobs, wagon loads, wagon kits (both their own brand and the SDV Models range). I could easily have blown the holiday budget (and more) in there!

Yes very easy walk. Bought numerous kits in there in TT scale but do need to pay a visit to look at the HO stuff. Maybe this Summer.

• 1 month later...

The best time to visit Pečky is the end of May, as usually the last May weekend there is a big railroad model show, the biggest in the CZ actually. Plenty of layouts in various scales are on display and many small and big manufacturers and sellers have their selling booths there (some also having special show discounts). This year it's the weekend of 26-28 May.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many thanks to @warbonnetuk for the box of surplus Czech TT kits and bits he handed to me at LyddRail last weekend. 😁

I'll be making good use of pretty much all of it, indeed the 2 Detail wagon kits (Tams and Zav) are now being finished off ready for paint, the 830 shell has had the windows opened out and a start made on a chassis. The pair of 010 trailers will get added to tge (ever-growing) fleet of 810/010s!

I've also dusted off the resin Grumpy shell I got ages ago, as there are some bits in the box that will get that finished off too.

A useful resource for completing these older resin kits (and much more besides) can be found here: https://www.mojett.cz/aktualizace  (use a browser with auto translate, such as Chrome) 

IMG_20230725_153134.jpg

Nové Město is next out at the Mid-Essex show in Shenfield on Sat 16 September and I've just accepted the invite to Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow for Feb 2024 ☺️

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The resin 830 is now a runner, though some additional pick-ups and some weight wouldn't go amiss, something to sort over the weekend. 

IMG_20230728_190853.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 6

Good to see them getting used rather than gathering dust 🙂

On 26/07/2023 at 08:38, CloggyDog said:

Many thanks to @warbonnetuk for the box of surplus Czech TT kits and bits he handed to me at LyddRail last weekend. 😁

I'll be making good use of pretty much all of it, indeed the 2 Detail wagon kits (Tams and Zav) are now being finished off ready for paint, the 830 shell has had the windows opened out and a start made on a chassis. The pair of 010 trailers will get added to tge (ever-growing) fleet of 810/010s!

I've also dusted off the resin Grumpy shell I got ages ago, as there are some bits in the box that will get that finished off too.

A useful resource for completing these older resin kits (and much more besides) can be found here: https://www.mojett.cz/aktualizace  (use a browser with auto translate, such as Chrome) 

IMG_20230725_153134.jpg

Nové Město is next out at the Mid-Essex show in Shenfield on Sat 16 September and I've just accepted the invite to Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow for Feb 2024 ☺️

• RMweb Premium

Among the bits in the box was a Tillig 720 Hektor mech, which has been bodged into a chassis for the resin 749 Grumpy shell I got via ebay about 5 years ago when I started my Czech TT project and which has been loitering in my 'to do' box since. 

I'm thinking to finish this in the well-worn red/yellow livery as carried by 749 100 into the 2010s

7491244.jpg

Next up is a free-rolling chassis to go under the resin 742 shell to make a dummy for double-heading. Etched handrails and buffers for that are on their way from www.TTModelar.eu along with decals for the 830, which will also get the red/yellow livery. 

IMG_20230803_120726.jpg

Starting to think I maybe need a bigger layout... 🤔

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2