Graham Farish 2019 Catalogue announces Parrot and HKA wagons

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

On reflection, I think adapting the class 14 for sound is an incredibly risky choice. It would make it (I think) the smallest sound-fitted N gauge loco. Given their inability to develop the J72 for a reasonable price, I will not be surprised in the least if this is cancelled and the existing version is reissued without sound.

• RMweb Premium

374-993, the West Highland green/cream Mk1 pair. Description says the brake coach is a BSK, picture shows a BCK and I am fairly certain the actual coach was a BSO (Which to be fair Farish don't make and I have a BCK masquerading as it in my repainted rake - another spot on catalogue guess!!)

Edited by John M Upton

On reflection, I think adapting the class 14 for sound is an incredibly risky choice. It would make it (I think) the smallest sound-fitted N gauge loco. Given their inability to develop the J72 for a reasonable price, I will not be surprised in the least if this is cancelled and the existing version is reissued without sound.

Am I right in thinking that the existing version doesn't even have a decoder socket?

Very disappointed again, for the third year running hardly anything new for the BR diesel era! still no disc headcode (skinhead) class 31, still no re-tooling of the class 25/3 35 years on, no new locomotives or DMU's, do as many with sound as you like Farish but they don't & never will interest me!

374-993, the West Highland green/cream Mk1 pair. Description says the brake coach is a BSK, picture shows a BCK and I am fairly certain the actual coach was a BSO (Which to be fair Farish don't make and I have a BCK masquerading as it in my repainted rake - another spot on catalogue guess!!)

The prototype looks like a BCK to me:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109358-west-highland-mk1-coaches/

Although this one is a BSO. http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10097.htm

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

There were two different versions of the livery, one had black lining and dogs, the other a sort of red line and no dogs.  The brake vehicle in the former version was a BSO, the brake vehicle in the later version was a BCK.  The photo from Bachmann shows a BCK in the black lining with dog version that should be a BSO.

None of which were a BSK....

Confused?  You soon will be!!

Not quite the same, but the N Gauge Society are developing their Hunslet shunter with onboard DCC and stay-alive capacitors (rather than sound) without any sockets - just a fixed PCB incorporating the functions. But perhaps a clue to how you might approach something like this. A single integrated PCB incorporating sound would save an awful lot of space.

I really can't imagine a company like Bachmann announcing this particular loco for DCC sound unless they'd at least worked up a detailed concept for how it would work. There are plenty of other models in the range that would have been easier to equip with sound, so this choice smacks of being a very deliberate one.

One question might be whether onboard sound would work well enough on an 0-6-0 without stay-alive also being built-in.

Justin

• RMweb Gold

The J72 and Class 14 are different beasts, with the boxy Class 14 having more space available for accommodating motor, circuitry & speaker over the a much less voluminous tank engine. 

My concern over the Class 14 would be not how they fit everything in, but how they do that and maintain traction & adequate pickup whilst removing weight to make room for a speaker & chip. That said we know Bachmann are working closely with Zimo for their sound chips, so it may be that a custom circuit board incorporating all of the elements is being developed specifically for this model. 

Tom.  

Great, I'll get two sets, split them and you can get the BG then I still need to find more opens ;)

Hi Gang;

I'll be in the same position as Westie ...needing more opens than BGs.

I suspect there could be a lot of horse trading going on.

I like the look of the TSO and DMU trailer....but now torn between that and the WHL Mk1 set.

But the TSO/BSK combo of the Mk1 set also puts me off. I suspect there will be a lot of spare BSKs floating on the the market eventually. Perhaps a twin TSO set would have been wiser with a single BSK available separately or as part of a set!!

Later;

Stu from EGDL

Edited by Stu from EGDL

Except that the BSK should be a BCK or a BSO depending on which version of the WHL green cream livery it is...

The 'OO' gauge photo used shows a BCK but the description says BSK. I wonder which one will actually be in the NGauge representation of the set.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2019 at 13:15, TomE said:

The J72 and Class 14 are different beasts, with the boxy Class 14 having more space available for accommodating motor, circuitry & speaker over the a much less voluminous tank engine. 

My concern over the Class 14 would be not how they fit everything in, but how they do that and maintain traction & adequate pickup whilst removing weight to make room for a speaker & chip. That said we know Bachmann are working closely with Zimo for their sound chips, so it may be that a custom circuit board incorporating all of the elements is being developed specifically for this model. 

Tom.  

Tom,

I suspect it may be done via the circuit board. Replacement sound boards have been available for US diesels for some years. Example:

https://tonystrains.com/product/mrc-0001955-n-scale-drop-in-sound-decoder-for-atlas-gp7-gp9-gp30-gp35

I appreciate that there is rather a difference in size between most US diesels and a Class 14 but these sound boards are available for smaller locos than the example. I've no idea what the quality of the sound is like but it does say that the sounds are from actual recordings so are not 'generic'. Could be the way to go.

David