Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

The 66s take me back to the days when every man and his dog made a 47 - so now we're going to have a glut of sheds ranging from wrong and cheap, to good but expensive, and I know where my £160 will be going if the Hatton's one stays on the track.

I know the saying goes 'damned if you do - damned if you don't' but there was a great opportunity here to put out some DRS MK2f coaches (and in the Farish range), along with a few other bits and pieces for us 'Modern' Modern Image guys but at the end of the day, it is what it is. I'm looking forward to the SWT 159 though - that should stop the ebay madness!

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Premium

I can't believe that this non-announcement has done anything to enhance the company's reputation - quite the opposite, in fact.

What were PR thinking?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They are trying to make the best of a bad job so to speak - and focusing on the positives

Its hardly a secret that Bachmann have long been suffering from various problems in getting previously announced models to retailers shelves - not helped by the enforced factory relocation over the summer.

As things stand there is a decent selection of re-liveries in the announcement which will be welcomed by many (particularly the SECR C class in all its lined finery).

Not presenting a vast (or even small) suite of newly tooled models will allow more time to deal with he backlog of items (many of which have caused much ill-tempered comments on here over the past 5 years or so.

• Like 2

Doesn't make it any less anti climactic now does it?

Which moves the discussion on exactly how?

After half of the speculation thread being taken up with lampooning the supplier over its protracted delays in getting previous years' announcements to market, this circling of the wagons is exactly the strategy that makes sense. 

Had Bachmann not done this, then for every item of new tooling, there'd be some wag taking bets on when the models would arrive.  What is essential now is to re-establish market confidence by delivering the backlog robustly.  New toolings would be a distraction; there is much to be said for leaving the baubles and unicorns to others this year. 

Anyway, it's hardly as though there isn't a wealth of valid reissues and up-issues here to sift through.  ScotRail and Virgin Mk2Fs, HKAs and numerous other pieces that we've seen great clamour for on other RMWeb topics.

• Like 1

I wonder if 150115 is the original pale blue livery or more releases of the running man livery?

Nice to see some sensible relivery releases in bread and butter models.  My only disappointment is that the two new releases of the Compound are BR black - again.  I'd have thought that we should be due an LMS red one by now.

It says original so I am hoping for light blue. They were very widespread in this livery so I hope it will be a good seller.

I also model LMS. Maybe we both need to bite the bullet & get our airbrushes out! I certainly need to do this for my plain black stuff because both Bachmann & Hornby seem to believe they won't sell very well & I to be honest, I agree with them.

The 158/159 update is interesting.

Regional Railways 158 was to be sound-fitted: it now seems not to be. (Great news from my perspective!)

NSE 159 was not to be sound-fitted, but it now is. (Rubbish news for me)

I do wonder about their approach with new tooling: Hornby provides DC and DCC versions of pretty much everything at launch; Bachmann seems to play this odd game.

The 009 stuff is very interesting. With the growth of the number of products offered in O and 009, I wonder if this means OO is becoming perceived as a difficult market (following N down that path)?

Paul

The 66s take me back to the days when every man and his dog made a 47 - so now we're going to have a glut of sheds ranging from wrong and cheap, to good but expensive, and I know where my £160 will be going if the Hatton's one stays on the track.

I know the saying goes 'damned if you do - damned if you don't' but there was a great opportunity here to put out some DRS MK2f coaches (and in the Farish range), along with a few other bits and pieces for us 'Modern' Modern Image guys but at the end of the day, it is what it is. I'm looking forward to the SWT 159 though - that should stop the ebay madness!

I agree - especially with Hornby announcing the Scotrail MK2fs last week presumably there was not enough time to investigate altering the product to produce DRS MK2fs instead.

• Like 1

A couple more Compounds is good for me, though a shame not one in LMS Crimson.

Also nice to note that the Sound fitted models also now have a non sound counterpart. That really irked me in the past when the only version I wanted came with double the price tag and a load of 'feature' I don't want. Even if it is possible to remove and sell it on, I'd rather not have that initial outlay to deal with in the first place. So a positive step for sure.

A quiet year that some will undoubtedly whine about, but considering the massive backlog they have I'm not surprised in the slightest.

It is interesting that Hornby have decided the way back to profitability is through high investment and lots of new toolings, and with a very limited amount of re-liveries. While Bachmann seem to have decided the opposite, with a range with very little new tooling but mostly re-releases with new numbers.

I am mostly interested in 00 steam, and the new tooling that Bachmann have announced in the last 5 years probably isn't far off what Hornby have announced for this year alone!

Note: this is just an observation, and I have tried to not to make any judgements in the comment.

Indeed until the new factory is up to speed and previous years programs have been caught up, there is little point in them announcing a load of items that they cannot fulfil. Indeed look at what happened to one brand here who announced too many items and had too little that was delivered.

With people giving up waiting (so it would seem) for the previous programs, I suspect adding more would just compoound the issue so a very sensible move I feel while expanding on an area where they have a clear advantage (00-9).

Edited by JSpencer

C class in full SECR colours. Now that was a surprise after all the hear say of the diificulties doing it first time.

Given how quickly it sold the first time around (as seems to have also been the case with other SECR releases), they probably think it's worth the hassle.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a massive announcement, given that they've also just announced the dropping of some projects. I do think it's a unfortunate that this has come so soon after Hornby's extensive 2019 range was announced.

The RNAD stuff is interesting, and will no doubt be of interest to those modelling the preservation scene (which seems to be quite a few 009 modellers). They seem to be following the same approach as with the earlier WD models, where they produce the locomotive and the rolling stock and so can act as a sort of one-stop shop for those considering making a start in the gauge. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Server loads are high and posting such rubbish is, literally, making it slower for everyone else using the site.

Take comfort in the fact you're doing better than Bachmann at the moment...

Bachmann.co.uk is currently returning a 503 Error... :D

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A, not unexpectedly, conservative set of items. Some will fill useful gaps where I didn't buy (or didn't buy enough) previously.

The really interesting news, for me, will be an update on the progress of the models of interest to me that remain outstanding from past announcements.

I don't anticipate the "new" stuff will cause me much financial stress, but Bachmann will, hopefully, be exercising some other "pull" on my wallet later this year.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Nothing to do with that. No-one else particularly needs to know if someone else is disappointed - it really isn't interesting to read and when I've asked for a reduction in guff some really doesn't think it applies to them. Server loads are high and posting such rubbish is, literally, making it slower for everyone else using the site.

I look forward to some more intelligent input than some posts I've already removed.

I appreciate the work you have put in on this Andy but if the above works the other way around then we might as well all pack our bags and leave. 

What if I said equally it isn't that interesting reading if others are overjoyed by the announcements?   I like to read comments negative and positive as I am sure others do too.

Rude or just plain lies or antagonistic posts...... sure erase or prune those, but beyond that surely its bordering on strangling freedom of speech.   Its only model trains we are ta;king about here not military secrets for heavens sake!

Edited by ThaneofFife

The farish catalogue has a shrink-rayed version of the Provincial 150 we had as a special edition back in 2010 (150135 - Original provincial)

The running man livery was only applied to the final 8 or so units, so you would be right to think it is the original pale blue - basically a repeat of the one we did.  - It will be interesting to see if they have tooled the valances though  150135 was the only unit I could find as-tooled (with valances removed) when the 150 was originally released.

It says original so I am hoping for light blue. They were very widespread in this livery so I hope it will be a good seller.

I also model LMS. Maybe we both need to bite the bullet & get our airbrushes out! I certainly need to do this for my plain black stuff because both Bachmann & Hornby seem to believe they won't sell very well & I to be honest, I agree with them.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Poor to say the least. The 70hp Baguley is fine but most people who wanted one will have already purchased the 3d printed kit like I did. 

Waiting to see my post deleted because my opinion isn't the same as a mod!

And what would your prefer - a vast range of new tooling announcements that won't be with us for 5 years or more!

I'm sure Bachmann themselves would prefer the situation to be different and able to offer plenty of newly tooled products - but we don't live in a harry Potter World where there are any magic / instantaneous solutions to problems they face and all those posting dismissive comments about the 2019 programme would do well to remember that before clicking on 'post'

Although I can see why they’ve done a limited number of new products, some more information with regards to previously announced models wouldn’t have gone amiss in my view.

Edit:  My post was a bit premature, this has since been done.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

What is the difference between 32-217A and 32-217Z, the previous model of L94 released in 2013?

32-217z was a limited edition for the LT museum. Other than that I don't know.

Am I the only one looking at this announcement, and wondering if the "lack" of new items might be partially down to Bachmann being beaten to the design board by someone else? I can't think who, or what, but it might be that they cancelled an item, and didn't want to announce something that was even further down the list, due to the lead time. Just a thought....