Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

More OO9 stuff, I'm not an OO9 modeller but it's good to see that Bachmann feel its still a market they can add to.

The Baguley-Drewry is a nice little addition, and one that could get me in to OO9 - I'm not a huge fan of OO9 steam.

• Like 2

And what would your prefer - a vast range of new tooling announcements that won't be with us for 5 years or more!

I'm sure Bachmann themselves would prefer the situation to be different and able to offer plenty of newly tooled products - but we don't live in a harry Potter World where there are any magic / instantaneous solutions to problems they face and all those posting dismissive comments about the 2019 programme would do well to remember that before clicking on 'post'

Hornby might beg to differ on the Harry Potter world comment...

Bachmann would be damned either way. If they announced whole raft of new models, we'd now be drowing in people demanding to know where the 94xx/V2/1P/J72 have got to.

• RMweb Premium

No Manors again, are they planing on retooling this loco?.

It may be that this is 'in the works' as it were, but rather than announce it and not be able to bring it to market this years means they have decided to hold back.

I'm sure Bachmann are very much aware that the longer they leave this loco, the grater the cane it will et picked up by someone else - but equally why put up with all the grief from the moaners and keyborad worriers if they did announce it but were unable to produce it for years.

• RMweb Gold

Very sensible range given the factory issues last year. :) A nice range of liveries on existing toolings (including the 57xx which is always nice to see in the range) that will sell well, two-tone and standard blue 47's I picked out as 'best-sellers'. I might be tempted to upgrade my battered and wartorn LL 37401 that I bought second hand for £30 to a new 37012! I prefer a 37/0 anyway...

Now to spend the next four hours listing it all for pre-order! The joys...  :sungum:

• Like 2

In

In many ways, it would have been better to state up-front that there would be no new tooling for 2019 - that would have prevented the endless speculation and the consequent disappointment.

I can't believe that this non-announcement has done anything to enhance the company's reputation - quite the opposite, in fact.

What were PR thinking?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I mean there IS the new tooled National Power vehicles AND a huge backlog of new tooling to look forward to... panniers, crane, V2, J27, Class 90, Bulleid Coaches are just six that come to mind...

I think announcing new models merely to stamp your mark and then waiting 5-6 years for deliver is what doesn't enhance a company's reputation. They are commendably taking stock, and not over-promising.

I really am not surprised. But a good range of new liveries/renumbers on offer.

Edited by G-BOAF

So now every man and his dog will be making a RNAD armaments layout.....

Typical.

At least it'll be different from every L&B layout, running Heljan locos, Peco coaches and wagons, and the new 391-032 "Baldwin 10-12-D Tank E763 'Sid' SR Maunsell Green" which is a very odd choice for me.

• Like 1

But those VTWC Mk2F are just what I need, I best start saving. Hopefully a matching Class 90 will be along at some point too.

amazed that as the 90 is on the way that we didn't see a Virgin 90 in the same announcement TBH.  It might well pop up as a mid-year surprise release and I think that is highly likely given the relationship between the 2.

Thought the Class 85 would take a break this year but I see another release in AL5 guise.   

37 fans will be pleased to see Loch Rannock make a return.   Was it the old tooling the last time Bachmann did this loco ?

Their choice of prototypes for OO9 continues to intrigue. Unlike Heljan, they're offering locos that would be 'at home' in a broad range of locations and develop suitable rolling stock to accompany the loco's launch.

but the loco & 3 of the are already for sale as kits with 2 makers so sales may be low

• RMweb Premium

Although I can see why they’ve done a limited number of new products, some more information with regards to previously announced models wouldn’t have gone amiss in my view.

This will undoubtedly follow - Phil Parker is at Bachmann's London venue as we speak where Bachmann have said they will have various samples on display and will provide further updates on previously announced products.

Patience is said to be a virtue - lets wait a few days and see what happens shall we?

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You know what, I thank AY for cutting out all the carp on threads such as this and I'm happy if I get cut away as well. 'Freedom of speech' in both negative and positive can be carried out on other threads FFS. I'd even prefer it if this sort of announcement was simply the announcement and then locked, then folk can drone on about stuff elsewhere. 

P

• RMweb Gold

Hornby might beg to differ on the Harry Potter world comment...

Bachmann would be damned either way. If they announced whole raft of new models, we'd now be drowing in people demanding to know where the 94xx/V2/1P/J72 have got to.

As they haven't, we'll hopefully get some news on those in due course.

Any chance of a dedicated "Bachmann Updates" thread, in due course, Andy? (No hurry). 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Am I the only one looking at this announcement, and wondering if the "lack" of new items might be partially down to Bachmann being beaten to the design board by someone else?

Doubtful. Given the explanations elsewhere about unforeseen Bachmann production difficulties and the long lead times in getting UK "stuff" to market maybe they are just having a year to consolidate the 4mm 00 market and let things catch up.

It probably takes just as much R&D plus it's associated costs to introduce 009 items as new 4mm. So this year its 009, next year ... who knows.

Still better than announcing loads of items that may not be available for years to come.

• RMweb Premium

but the loco & 3 of the are already for sale as kits with 2 makers so sales may be low

That rather depends on the market they are aiming for.

As much as the purists on here may grind their teeth and wail about people doing 'proper modelling', the maority of buyers of RTR model railway items are not into kit building - and the RTR manufacturers know it! As such the fact that Bachmann have duplicated a kit will make precious little difference to their sales (though obviously it won't be the same for the kit manufacturer) with the advantage that Bachmann can know they have picked a desirable prototype to model.

We are told that sales of 009 RTR have been good so its entirely logical for Bachmann to seek to widen their range, kit or no kit.

This will undoubtedly follow - Phil Parker is at Bachmann's London venue as we speak where Bachmann have said they will have various samples on display and will provide further updates on previously announced products.

Patience is said to be a virtue - lets wait a few days and see what happens shall we?

Didn’t know that, thank you. Let’s hope so!

• RMweb Gold

As they haven't, we'll hopefully get some news on those in due course.

Any chance of a dedicated "Bachmann Updates" thread, in due course, Andy? (No hurry). 

John

He's probably down the pub already!

There are/were kits available for Heljan's L&B 2-6-2 and Bachmann's Baldwin 4-6-0 when they were produced but it hasn't deterred sales. I dare say there are kits available for most new releases in OO as well. Not everyone wants to have to build everything and only a percentage of kit builders produce something as good as an rtr model.

• Like 1

A, not unexpectedly, conservative set of items. Some will fill useful gaps where I didn't buy (or didn't buy enough) previously.

The really interesting news, for me, will be an update on the progress of the models of interest to me that remain outstanding from past announcements.

I don't anticipate the "new" stuff will cause me much financial stress, but Bachmann will, hopefully, be exercising some other "pull" on my wallet later this year.  

John

I agree----why announce new items for the year present and not update last year.s outstanding items.

Managing customer expectations comes to mind and dare I say, treating customers as is needed. 

I am particularly interested in their proposed new bulleid coaches--why is there no update?

Yes I am aware of manufacturing capacity issues in the Far East.

regards,Ed Plant

That never stopped people buying Baldwins, WDLR stock, L&B Manning Wardles, Matching coaches and wagons, Glyn Valley Tramway coaches, Talyllyn and Dolgoch (as Skarloey and Rheneas) amongst others in the past few years though.

32-217z was a limited edition for the LT museum. Other than that I don't know.

Looking at previous threads, it was also a limited edition for LTM with the previous chassis(?). As there are still some numbers that have yet to be represented - including preserved ones, which might have a larger customer reach - I'm surprised it's being done again.

• RMweb Premium

Typical, there's me thinking I'm safe modifying and repainting a couple of 37s and they've done both. 669/521

B*gger.

The HKA though will be a perfect fit in with the club layout.

Time to crack on with my HRA rake.

At least they didn't announce another bl££din' pannier.

Cheers,

Mick