Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

C class in full SECR colours. Now that was a surprise after all the hear say of the diificulties doing it first time.

A second rake of SECR coloured birdcages too.

The OO-9 looks good too and an area they can do really well in.

No more Atlantics - that is a surprise.

Agree its good that the C has made a return in full lined livery. I managed to get one first time round but delighted that others may now get a chance. Since J Spencer's post, Andy Y posted the pictures of the SECR livery 'Birdcages'. These are listed as 'Wellington Brown' rather than 'Dark Lake' and look to be a simpler (cheaper?) livery to produce so not just the same again with alternate numbers. Doubtless there are a few learned scholars out there with reference books at the ready who can tell us which livery came first, roughly what span of years applied to each and which is correct to run with locos in lined green or grey.

The new prices (according to the Liverpool connection) are eye-watering !

The SECR C-class is amazing for a little 0-6-0 and the new weathered 4-CEP is even worse (£382 for four coaches !)

I'm wondering if the C class comes with DCC & sound to justify a price well over 200 pounds?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the R.R.P. of £42 for the Presflos is correct, it will be interesting to see how quickly they sell. That should keep the prices for the unbuilt Airfix jobbie healthy.

P

I've got a couple from earlier releases that don't really fit my timeframe so they may be worth offloading when poeple realise the new prices.

• RMweb Gold

If the R.R.P. of £42 for the Presflos is correct, it will be interesting to see how quickly they sell. That should keep the prices for the unbuilt Airfix jobbie healthy.

P

I've absolutely no intention of knocking Bachmann whatsoever, but it truly seems the current model prices are a bit 'fanciful'. Naturally, as Bachmann hoist the prices, so every T D&H does likewise.  It's a real pity, and some executive thinks it's 'easy money'.

Still, the prices have been set, so it's "caveat Emptor:- Let the buyer beware".

No, I'm not grizzling, just being a bit circumspect with my cash. The Dapol/Airfix kit is about £8-9, but I'd expect the RRP to rise fairly quickly. Get in fast!

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned elsewhere, nice to see the Midland 1P progressing and I'm looking forward the some images in due course.

The scenecraft slate buildings look promising and I look forward to their release and see if Hornby's Pecketts will fit........

Plenty of wagons to tempt as well so overall a very acceptable schedule for me as it allows a degree of consolidation......though the 009 Hunslet might upset matters somewhat...

Not at all bad from my point of view.

Rob.

Interesting to see the class 66 battle develop and that Bachmann have reduced the price of theirs which may effect the sales of the Hornby version in particular. Glad 158 now DCC ready so may get one and also the stabling point looks interesting too.

Can't help but feel not much announced as Bachmann May be trying to reduce the gap between announcement and delivery so there may be a lot of work on new models going on behind the scenes.

Even more interesting to see the class 90 due to ship Q1 which could be an optimistic march/ April delivery can't wait for those. Hopefully no price increase either!

Mark

Nice to see some sensible relivery releases in bread and butter models.  My only disappointment is that the two new releases of the Compound are BR black - again.  I'd have thought that we should be due an LMS red one by now.

Although at first sight there's not much new, that's probably no bad thing bearing in mind their recent production troubles - and with the amount of delayed releases they have in the pipeline, its not as if there'll be any shortage of new product in the shops once it starts to filter through.

I agree with you about the lack of a red Compound though- especially when one of the new re-liveries announced is the L&Y tank in Crimson Lake, which is arguably the least useful livery on that loco, only really relevant if you model the very early LMS period. Yes, it's lovely to look at, but I've got one and I'm not sure how much I really need another one compared to a red Compound

Well an austerity black Compound probably hasn't sold because I imagine hardly anyone models the wartime LMS so a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy I think.  As for the airbrush, that would be fine, it's all that fiddly lining that'll be the problem.

I think we'll have to lobby one of the retailers to commission one as I'm sure a small red 4-4-0 that got everywhere from Bristol to Scotland working everything from main line expresses to secondary single line services suitable for the smaller layout must be a banker.  I suspect that we've not seen one simply because Bachmann have been through the mill rather than any lack of commercial viability. 

As you say the wartime scene is probably a bit of a minority interest compared to the LMS modellers who'd want one in the full Crimson Lake livery- I did succumb to an austerity black one a while back though, as it does at least sit nicely with all the late 1946-8 LMS stuff that Bachmann have released over the years- Ivatts, Fairburns, etc.

Edited by Invicta

Going by the prices of the Bachmann Class 66 DCC Ready (£123 approx) & DCC Sound Fitted (£191 approx) after retail discount you can see Bachmann are taking Hatton's head-on against their new 66 which are about £27 & £74 dearer than Bachmann with or without sound.

This is an interesting development and I would wager that Hatton's will return fire post-March 2019 of their Class 66 release with an announcement of a new tooled Class 37 or Class 47...obviously this is just guessing but there is something brewing between Bachmann & Hatton's???

Just my feeling.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's staked out its own niche with their 009 products.

It looks like more MOD works layouts will appear in the future, although the stock chosen is just as ideal for a space-saving addition to a mainline OO layout.

• RMweb Premium

I'm intrigued that Bachmann's catalogue photos of steam locomotives mostly show models with the couplings removed, with just the NEM socket showing, looking like some sort of sub-bufferbeam hooter! One or two, such as the C, appear to be without a NEM socket at all?

Agree its good that the C has made a return in full lined livery. I managed to get one first time round but delighted that others may now get a chance. Since J Spencer's post, Andy Y posted the pictures of the SECR livery 'Birdcages'. These are listed as 'Wellington Brown' rather than 'Dark Lake' and look to be a simpler (cheaper?) livery to produce so not just the same again with alternate numbers. Doubtless there are a few learned scholars out there with reference books at the ready who can tell us which livery came first, roughly what span of years applied to each and which is correct to run with locos in lined green or grey.

I seem to remember some authoritative chatter about Wellington brown being a future livery when the birdcages were first announced way back when. Graham M perhaps?

Thinking about it I have 2 hattons 66 on order and I could now buy them both from 3 manufacturers. While I want one of the hattons class 66 I don't necessarily want 2 so could buy the cheaper Bachmann version and save a bit of cash. Wonder if hattons will fire back with a price reduction of their own?

Mark

Given l'embarras des richesses we have become used to in recent times, it is hard not to think "is that it?" when the new tooling releases have been scrolled through, but I gather this is a period of consolidation. 

I am pleased to see the SE&CR C in fully-lined livery. That proves that Bachmann hasn't lost it's confidence for elaborate liveries (at what price given the Caley price-hike?) and that you can't trust a thing manufacturers say (they've consistently replied to enquiries giving reasons why they wouldn't do this livery again)!

Lots of good news, if you look hard enough. and not that far behind Hornby.   

• RMweb Premium

I think consolidation isn't a bad idea for Bachmann at the moment, with the factory changes and Chinese New Year coming up.

As for what has been announced, I see the blue 47, the large logo 47 as likely purchases. I'm sad we're still missing a sealed beam 45, and there's still no Standard 4MT Mogul from the early number series of the BR(S) allocations.

Portholes in maroon will also be on my radar, hopefully we will see them this year now.

Hmmm, SECR birdcages £70 a piece in a plainish brown livery, no lining. No special features, not even sprung buffers.

Mk 2F in complex virgin livery, DCC fitted with working lights only a fiver more. Or plain, no lights fitted version, nearly £20 less. The mind boggles.

New SECR Full Wainwright C class, tops the £200 mark like it's Caledonian rival but at least the livery is a complex beast to get right.

FWIW, full Wainwright C class were almost certainly gone when the 64ft birdcages appeared.

Is this the first sign that Bachmann are backing out of new 00-steam ?

So much low-hanging fruit they could have picked:

updated Manor, more Atlantics, a SECR D 4-4-0 instead of a re-run of the C in SECR livery, lost the Lord Nelson to Hornby, - but apparently not worth the investment?

The description of ' Wellington Brown ' on the Birdcage set announced today is correct.

This livery was introduced in the first world war era, and is compatible with the drab grey

loco livery of the same time.

Wellington Brown is much more sombre than the earlier Wainwright livery, and the previous

lining out was omitted. On the plus side the lettering was much more intricate and I think

more attractive than the Wainwright livery.

Some vehicles remained in this livery well into the 1920's.