Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

SECR H class sold out, as did the previous reduced lining SECR C class both of which meet all 3 criteria.

Both of these models are less than 2/3rds of the new C class price and the 1st SECR H class sold out before the presevred 263 was announced. In anycase  I'm up for one myself, having got 592 and being a die hard SECR fan but rest skeptical - we will see in time. At the same time, I note that all 3 P class in full Wainwright livery are still available from Hattons, despite being just as pretty, cheaper and all 3 presenting preserved members.

• RMweb Gold

At frist glance it dose seem a bit of a anticlimax. However with the slight backlog this gives them time to catch up some what.

I think it also helps their future releases as we have a year not knowing what they are as I doubt Bachmann are going to let the researchers and cad people have a year off twiddling their thumbs. So I wonder if this will lead to announcements of projects at a later stage of development which from a public view speeds up the process.

And puts the competition at a disadvantage not knowing what Bachmann are planning 5 years down the road.

There are 4 types of 66 buyers actually, and I'm one of the 4th.   ....I don't buy any 66.

There are 5 types of 66 buyers actually, and I am one at whatever position fits best in your scheme.   ....I have purchased the one 66 (and all its trucks) that I will ever need already.

One set of the set tool van and Mess coach was made up from some very old LSWR ones still in LSWR brown!...

And there's the problem for a model manufacturer, it's all 'provincial' as the support vehicles were what were available locally. Really I think this is part of the entertainment with this model. I can have a really tatty much modified GNR/ECJS clerestory coach and a six wheel Howlden full brake with mine. Lovely historical time capsule of what once operated on the route

• Administrators

Looking at the photos of the NP hopper, am I correct in saying the photos show the ep as the n gauge version?

Only if they are fitting tension lock couplings to N gauge. 

Coal wagons OOcoupling.jpg

However, there is an N gauge version of these wagons too, but they are unpainted and on the Farish thread.

However, there is an N gauge version of these wagons too, but they are unpainted and on the Farish thread.

Actually I'd cocked up and used the N EPs in the OO OP - I've removed them now.

• RMweb Premium

Will the newly announces class 20 have lights like the newer ones announced last year?

When I saw the BR Blue 20201, my immediate thought was why, when the same BR Blue 20174 is still awaited. Then I thought that's clever; one production run of the same model with two different numbers. After all they worked in pairs so people might be encouraged to buy two knowing they don't have to renumber one. We'll see if both appear more or less at the same time.

I also wonder in the same vein if the Class 85, 37012 and perhaps others too have been chosen to release now as a way of reducing overall costs, by making additional livery variants from already booked production slots.

Few years ago Hatton's where selling the 4-CEP for £69.00.

For interest I looked up how much I paid for the original lined C class (592). It was 115 pounds for two (no VAT). A few years ago now but still quite an amazing price jump to today.

Its possible another Bachmann loco will appear as star of the Model Rail Scotland exhibition in a few weeks as a special limited run may be another 37 or 47/7.

I'd be surprised if they did - the previous one 47708 was advertised the previous year for delivery at last years exhibition

• RMweb Gold

Great to see some late 80s/early 90s Scotrail liveried coaches. I think a nice rake to go with my 37427 Highland Enterprise.

You may want to check

37427 used to be a welsh 37/4 Bont Y Bermo until 1993 when it became Highland enterprise on May 17th 1993, fresh with a specially painted rake of Regional Railways Mk2as, seen here 1 week into service:

https://whitemaskmk2.smugmug.com/Trains/Highland-Main-Line/i-Mp5bzh6/A

The original livery scotrail coaches depicted were ousted from Scotland due to the arrival of Sprinters in 1990.

Looking through my platform 5’s the FK depicted 13424 was never listed in service after 1988 But i have written it into the margins in 1988, so it was obviously about and missed the book in 1988, but must have been withdrawn around this time.

The Bachmann mk2 TSO looks like EC’s 5152 or 5153 (pictures hard to make out) 5152 was withdrawn in 1990, 5153 by 1993 looking through my 1993 Plat 5, it would seem to be the very last original Scotrail liveried coach in service.

The BGs were shortlived and went to Intercity livery by 1987.

Scotrail (As original) seemed to have been eliminated in 1993 (no stock in this colour), the Mk3 CO’s went back to FO’s as far back as 1989.

However if you mean 37417 Highland Region, in Mainline livery or large logo however....it was stranded north of Inverness following the bridge collpase at Loch Ness in Large Logo Blue in 1989, but was swapped by road for exam and repainted into Mainline livery in 1990, when 156’s were roaded up to Muir of Ord to keep sprinterisation on time.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Hello everyone, newbie here - first post, although I have been lurking for quite a while and especially enjoying this thread and the equivalent Hornby one.

I don't really have much to add to the discussion except to say that I fully agree with this post by farren:

At frist glance it dose seem a bit of a anticlimax. However with the slight backlog this gives them time to catch up some what.

I think it also helps their future releases as we have a year not knowing what they are as I doubt Bachmann are going to let the researchers and cad people have a year off twiddling their thumbs. So I wonder if this will lead to announcements of projects at a later stage of development which from a public view speeds up the process.

And puts the competition at a disadvantage not knowing what Bachmann are planning 5 years down the road.

Everyone has been complaining for years that Bachmann have been taking too long to get from announcement to actual product available to buy and I think the only possible way they have to address this is to start announcing projects when they are much further along the production process.  I am sure that is what Hornby do - I can't see them only starting now with research and CAD etc for the products they have for their 2019 range - all that stuff must surely have been done and the production fairly well along so that what they announce will appear more or less in the year it is supposed to.

But if Bachmann are to switch to doing that (as opposed to seemingly putting stuff in the catalogue because somebody somewhere thought it would be a good idea to do one sometime) then it must mean that there is at least one year when they don't announce anything new (well, hardly). And the fact that they have had to change their factory etc gives them the perfect reason to say to everyone, "nothing much this year - factory problems!" and most people will understand.

It would not surprise me if, for example, Bachmann let their nice new Cl 90 sell (hopefully) well for a few years while at the same time doing their research, CAD etc on the Cl 91 without saying anything to anyone about it until it is well along the production process. (Full disclosure: an updated class 91 is something I have been longing for so there is probably more optimism than sense in my prediction for that particular model but you get the principle!)

Plus, TBH, I was sort of glad in a way; I model modern image and no-one beats Bachmann for the range of their MUs - I am already saving for the Cl 117 in BR Blue-Grey, and the Scotrail Cl170.  I am hoping that future years will see the return of a retooled Cl221 which I will want in both Virgin and Arriva XC, and what I really am hoping for above all is a CL159 3-car unit in SWT. But at today's prices all of those will easily take up my budget for at least the next 5 years so the more time there is between them the better!

It so happens that this year Hornby has come out with at least three major items I wtb and, unlike Bachmann, it is not unusual for Hornby to have something available this year that is gone from the range next year so I probably wouldn't have been buying much Bachmann this year even if they had announced a load of new stuff.

Anyway, thanks everyone for such a great discussion; I look forward to catching up on all the other threads!

Edited by cwam
  • Like 3

The Bachmann mk2 TSO looks like EC’s 5152 or 5153 (pictures hard to make out) 5153 was withdrawn in 1990, 5153 by 1993 looking through my 1993 Plat 5, it would seem to be the very last original Scotrail liveried coach in service.

Typo?

You may want to check

37427 used to be a welsh 37/4 Bont Y Bermo until 1993 when it became Highland enterprise on May 17th 1993, fresh with a specially painted rake of Regional Railways Mk2as, seen here 1 week into service:

https://whitemaskmk2.smugmug.com/Trains/Highland-Main-Line/i-Mp5bzh6/A

The original livery scotrail coaches depicted were ousted from Scotland due to the arrival of Sprinters in 1990.

Looking through my platform 5’s the FK depicted 13424 was never listed in service after 1988 But i have written it into the margins in 1988, so it was obviously about and missed the book in 1988, but must have been withdrawn around this time.

The Bachmann mk2 TSO looks like EC’s 5152 or 5153 (pictures hard to make out) 5152 was withdrawn in 1990, 5153 by 1993 looking through my 1993 Plat 5, it would seem to be the very last original Scotrail liveried coach in service.

The BGs were shortlived and went to Intercity livery by 1987.

Scotrail (As original) seemed to have been eliminated in 1993 (no stock in this colour), the Mk3 CO’s went back to FO’s as far back as 1989.

However if you mean 37417 Highland Region, in Mainline livery or large logo however....it was stranded north of Inverness following the bridge collpase at Loch Ness in Large Logo Blue in 1989, but was swapped by road for exam and repainted into Mainline livery in 1990, when 156’s were roaded up to Muir of Ord to keep sprinterisation on time.

Thanks

It is probably the closest I will get although I do have a couple of Highland 37/4s in large logo including Highland Region so thanks as they would  look good behind that. I'm not particularly a prototypical modeller. I would prefer the provincial liveried ones but I think Hornby were the last to produce them plus I'm sure I also have a 47/4 that matches these coaches.

That is a great link you sent. Fantastic photos.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

It is probably the closest I will get although I do have a couple of Highland 37/4s in large logo including Highland Region so thanks as they would look good behind that. I'm not particularly a prototypical modeller. I would prefer the provincial liveried ones but I think Hornby were the last to produce them plus I'm sure I also have a 47/4 that matches these coaches.

That is a great link you sent. Fantastic photos.

No problem. 47475 was the provincial 47. (At the time it was called Transpenine livery), but the livery didnt take off, although several coaches were painted in this livery, 47475 was the only loco. Later Transpenine livery had a light silver grey replacing the lower grey band used on Transpenine and became Regional Railways, which was the same colours as in the picture of 37427 above (although that said Scotrail, despite being the same new livery). Edited by adb968008

150/2 never wore light blue provincial that the 150/1’s wore.

Theyre introduction livery was the inverse of Provincial 150/1 and without a full yellow end, just a yellow corrider door.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/150-2_unit.jpg - 1986

They ran like this for a few months until a full yellow end was applied. - from late 1986

http://www.traintesting.com/images/150-2_Edinburgh_86.jpg

This livery was later amended to include a grey/ red line “Network north west” branding -from April 1989

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/21723172202

Before further adaption to Regional railways- from 1992

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/40454605431

A final iteration of the original base livery from 1986 appeared, with a green stripe appeared, but i dont think on 150/2’s, post privatisation.

That's wrong.

The initial delivery livery had full yellow ends.  It was only a handful of early deliveries that experimentally had the buff coloured ends with yellow end door.  This didn't last long and they all got full yellow fairly quickly.

Delighted to finally see a LL 47/7 from Bachmann and the Scotrail Mk2 coaches. I'm curious with the inclusion of the Mk2 FO. Perhaps it's my memory dimming with time, ( I was a teenager growing up in Edinburgh through the 80's) but I don't recall ever seeing a Mk2 FO in Scotrail - or what I recall being known as Scotrail Express -  livery at the time.

My recollection is a complete set of 4 Mk2z + DBSO (I believe the last remaining of the old cl27 push/pull E&G sets) which was regularly used for Perth - Glasgow / Peth - Edinburgh services and unsurprisingly known as "The Perth Set" or an occasional mk2 TSO being included within a mk2 aircon set for an Edinburgh or Glasgow - Aberdeen set, but I cannot recall seeing the FO in use.

Can anyone help correct my memory? Does anyone have any images of the Mk2 FO in use?

• RMweb Premium

I dont see any further IC Swallow Mk2's other than the RFB already out. Is that it then or are there others to follow already announced pre-2019 but just not yet available?

None announced by Bachmann. Hornby's newly announced Mk2f coaches include INTERCITY (swallow) liveried versions if you can't wait.

• RMweb Premium

A post on another thread pointed out that there were just 20 steam classes left with more than 50 survivors in 1957 which have not been produced as RTR... And some of those were minor variations or fairly restricted in their ranges. There are no significant diesel classes left to do in 4mm RTR, and precious few insignificant ones. Just 4 Modernisation Plan electric locos are left to do, and nearly all the major Modernisation Plan DMUs have been announced. All the second generation DMUs have been done; most of the mainline 3rd generation express types have been done

The well is running pretty dry now, so perhaps this (lack of) announcement was inevitable at some point

It may be that the 20 year long "new high-spec RTR" party is drawing to a close

The number of survivors of at least 50 in a class in 1957 does not seem to matter in the case of the Adams Radial Tank and some GWR saddle tanks plus the GWR Night Owl produced in the last few years.

The LNER Area stretched from Kings Cross to Aberdeen with many points branching of in between. With regard to the practically ignored North East Area and Scotland there   were a fair number of classes running throughout the 50s with many running into the 60s.

I am not too sure of the North East Area apart from the J27 however there were a great many in the Scottish Area.

Some of these are commercially viable and if taking a broader view there are some equally viable ex- Caley classes as well.

The total number of these classes still running then was at least 20. Add in to that number the A2/2, A2/3, K2, K4 and B16.

There are plenty commercial options for the Manufacturers in that lot with the recent successful introduction of the Hornby J36 being a case in point.   

Edited by 60027Merlin

looks to have a strange gangway top section for a Mk2 - curved like on a Mk1 rather than more pullman style that you might expect on any Mk2.

that would suggest that it's an early Mk2z and not Mk2a. My understanding is that all of the pressure ventilated Mk2 in Scotrail livery were Mk2z vehicles, all coming from the former blue/grey vehicles used in the Cl27 top & tail E&G sets.

when people say "pressure ventilated" in the above context, is the simple explanation for that that they are just not air conditioned or is it a bit more involved than that?

never fully understood the techicality of this....... I have always tended to class all the Mk2d,e and f coaches as Aircons and anything else in the early Mk2 family as pressure vented.  Am I wrong?