Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

My understanding is "pressure ventilation" is a thermostatically driven forced air ventilation system that if cold draws air from the outside over heater elements, but if warm just draws in fresh air without heating.  It lacks an air cooling element.  Air conditioning is where the air is heated, or cooled by refrigerant, depending on the thermostat setting. Air conditioned Mk2s also had a ventilation system that circulated the air by blowing in warmed air at floor level and sucking it out at roof level to circulate the air more effectively.  More advanced systems also control humidity. As I understand it the Mk2d and e coaches had some sort of hybrid system which was effectively pressure ventilation plus air chilling, rather than full on air conditioning including regulation of humidity, but I bow to the expertise of others who have worked with the coaches to confirm that.

Just to confuse matters the LMS at least referred to the Coronation Scot coaches as "air conditioned" when they were pressure ventilated with better air circulation drawing out the stale air via the forced air vents on the roof which is why they got that odd looking clerestory added to them.

cheers Mark.  rather more technical than I needed but still interesting to know.  

I also just did a google and spotted on Wiki that the Mk2c's were fitted with lower height ceiling panelling for the later fitment of aircon ducting that never actually happened in the end.

My gut feeling is that in basic terms my original thinking is that the d, e and f were aircon and the others were PVent.

cheers Mark.  rather more technical than I needed but still interesting to know.  

I also just did a google and spotted on Wiki that the Mk2c's were fitted with lower height ceiling panelling for the later fitment of aircon ducting that never actually happened in the end.

My gut feeling is that in basic terms my original thinking is that the d, e and f were aircon and the others were PVent.

Pretty much correct.  Anything Mk2 with sliding vents in the windows was PV and anything without was AC (ish, Mk2d seemed to spend more time with the AC off than on in my recollection...)

Thanks

It is probably the closest I will get although I do have a couple of Highland 37/4s in large logo including Highland Region so thanks as they would  look good behind that. I'm not particularly a prototypical modeller. I would prefer the provincial liveried ones but I think Hornby were the last to produce them plus I'm sure I also have a 47/4 that matches these coaches.

That is a great link you sent. Fantastic photos.

There was limited edition packs of pairs of Bachmann Mk2 coaches for Model Rail done in that livery but branded as 'Regional Railways' rather than 'Scotrail' as those coaches were. There was a Mk2 BFK recently in the catalogue as a weathered model in that livery too, cant remember if there was a TSO done at the same time

The 'Trans-Pennine' branded coaches matched the 47/4 and was another Model Rail Limited Edition

• Like 1

Okay, I had a busy day yesterday so haven’t been able to comment on the Bachmann programme for 2019.

At first call I would think – disappointing. When you look and see that the only real new tooling is a modern wagon for coal for the main range my immediate thoughts were that the disruption and difficulties hitting them must be more problematic than your lead to believe. However, Bachmann have put together a list of engines that maximised on the strengths they have in their favour. These are the fact that a lot of engines can be produced with the same chassis, such as the diesels which can speed up production.

The other thing they have done has been to be very selective over liveries released. Seeing WCRC come back into the main range will be due to the demand the limited edition set showed existed. I wouldn’t count on the sale of 47245 to be a measure of this not being popular, as rather most would have preferred a 47/7. The other release of the Virgin Mk. 2 sets will also be a good move.

It is up to Bachmann but I can’t see the drive for some of the more narrow gauge releases announced being as popular or as profitable as one or two main releases for the standard range. Perhaps this was due to the fact that movement into this area had been slow up to this point, but I still don’t see the massive demand for it compared to the rest of the standard models range that has been done.

It’s also perhaps something that while disappointment is expressed by some, its perhaps natural given the limited scope of the range. Previously there might have been a statement sent out on the release date and while there was a statement beforehand, something more with the range might have smoothed over the disappointment by some. It’s also perhaps right that people should express it and the company see it there on a forum such as this, especially when some have been happy and free to bash products that have been made by various manufactures, yet must refrain on a product range announcement. While some might see it as just complaining, others would have phrased it in ways that are expressing support for Bachmann in the future as most of this has played out.

So overall the announcement has been measured in its response and has to be given the situation of the company and the delays that have compounded measures so far. Im sure that when products again start arriving on the shelves that Bachmann’s reputation is restored, although the prices might force something of a rethink. Indeed, in this respect Bachmann have been more than shrewd, pricing their class 66 under the one to be done by Hattons and one person I know is thinking of switching back to Barwell. In light of this, it will be an interesting year for Bachmann and hopefully as the products move forwards, we can look towards the 2020 range with many guessing for then, with what we were expecting to see today.  

• Like 1

There was limited edition packs of pairs of Bachmann Mk2 coaches for Model Rail done in that livery but branded as 'Regional Railways' rather than 'Scotrail' as those coaches were. There was a Mk2 BFK recently in the catalogue as a weathered model in that livery too, cant remember if there was a TSO done at the same time

The 'Trans-Pennine' branded coaches matched the 47/4 and was another Model Rail Limited Edition

Packs were 39-000H and 39-000M. There are both packs currently on Flea Bay.

The weathered TSO 39-364 and the BFK 39-413 do not match the above twin packs as the upper blue is a darker shade. To be fair it’s a more accurate Blue for Regional Railways than the twin packs. The blue on those is more akin to the Model Rail 39-000N Transpennine coaches blue.

The number of survivors of at least 50 in a class in 1957 does not seem to matter in the case of the Adams Radial Tank and some GWR saddle tanks plus the GWR Night Owl produced in the last few years.

The LNER Area stretched from Kings Cross to Aberdeen with many points branching of in between. With regard to the practically ignored North East Area and Scotland there   were a fair number of classes running throughout the 50s with many running into the 60s.

I am not too sure of the North East Area apart from the J27 however there were a great many in the Scottish Area.

Some of these are commercially viable and if taking a broader view there are some equally viable ex- Caley classes as well.

The total number of these classes still running then was at least 20. Add in to that number the A2/2, A2/3, K2, K4 and B16.

There are plenty commercial options for the Manufacturers in that lot with the recent successful introduction of the Hornby J36 being a case in point.   

I would think that J27, J21, B16 all would have had 50 running in 1957.... 

As has probably previously been stated, I of course personally would've liked to see what I wanted being produced - boo hoo, there's always next year! But it is nice to see that Bachmann are focusing on bringing yet to be released models to the market, instead of flooding us with more models, and more wait time. A sensible decision i'm sure.

I do think it's slightly peculiar that there are no re-liveries of the H1/H2, from what I gathered they were very popular!

I wouldn't be at all surprised, if Bachmann achieve their projected release dates and catch up effectively during the year, to hear the odd new item being announced, or more dealer sponsored items as happened with Kernow's 4-TC. 

Just a thought.  Plus, if Hornby are going to pull out the stops for their centenary next year (assuming they've got enough in the bank) perhaps Bachmann might have a few spoilers in preparation.  Could be a fun year ahead.

• Like 1

Have just cancelled one of my hattons class 66 and ordered the Bachmann version- it's the best part of 30 quid saved so if that's what Bachmann intended it worked!

Mark

Interesting that you've done that - have you still got a Hattons 66 on order? To be fair the Bachmann 66 still isn't bad with a little detailing.

• RMweb Gold

There are some good things in the announcement but as mentioned much earlier I really don't get why no DRS coaches. They go for a fortune on Ebay, are ideal for short train formations and Bachmann have released a very large number of DRS liveried locos in recent years (plus Dapol 68's). Hornby have now aligned coaches with locos, at least on the HST and IEP front. Bachmann must have a huge captive market for DRS coaches for Barrow/Anglia type services in both blue/white and DRS (see at 0.45) liveries.

However there is plenty to spend money on this year for both Bachmann and Hornby which is good news. Loch Rannoch and Colas 37 are starters for 10. The fact that there are now 3 versions of the large logo 66 means I will review my Hattons pre-order as there are savings to be had - I'm in no way a finescale modeller and just like the large logo livery. A cheaper version would free up cash for other things - we shall see.

Yes still have 1 hattons on order just to see what they are like.

Mark

I find your decision interesting as well but don't take that the wrong way.

I had sold all 9 of my Bachmann Class 66's in preparation to purchase about 4 of the Hatton's 66 sound versions and for me to go back to purchasing the Bachmann there would have to be a major tooling/detail issue with the Hatton's 66 which I really can't see happening and saving £30 by buying a Bachmann is not enough of a saving for me personally over a much more superior product from Hatton's which I'm sure will be the case from what I've seen so far.

Since the Bachmann 66 probably won't sell out I wouldn't have ordered it until I got my Hatton's 66 that way you won't regret the decision to buy the Bachy when you get the Hatton's version...just my thoughts and yes we all shop very differently.

Edited by classy52

There are some good things in the announcement but as mentioned much earlier I really don't get why no DRS coaches. They go for a fortune on Ebay, are ideal for short train formations and Bachmann have released a very large number of DRS liveried locos in recent years (plus Dapol 68's). Hornby have now aligned coaches with locos, at least on the HST and IEP front. Bachmann must have a huge captive market for DRS coaches for Barrow/Anglia type services in both blue/white and DRS (see at 0.45) liveries.

Yes I am also surprised there weren't any DRS liveried coaches from Bachmann this year and the 1 support pack they did a while back is rarer than hen's teeth, they serve a good geographical area in the UK thus would be a great seller.

• RMweb Premium

I think its interesting that all those that were encouraging Hattons to bring out an all singing and dancing 37, are now cancelling their Hattons orders for 66s and reverting to Bachmann because its £30 cheaper!  I think there's a lesson there somewhere.  

Isn't it fascinating , all these reasons we have been given over the years for why costs really have to go up  have magically disappeared in the case of the 66 .Bachmann still think its worthwhile bringing out new variants  and presumably can justify production slots at Kader.

• Like 1

I find your decision interesting as well but don't take that the wrong way.

I had sold all 9 of my Bachmann Class 66's in preparation to purchase about 4 of the Hatton's 66 sound versions and for me to go back to purchasing the Bachmann there would have to be a major tooling/detail issue with the Hatton's 66 which I really can't see happening and saving £30 by buying a Bachmann is not enough of a saving for me personally over a much more superior product from Hatton's which I'm sure will be the case from what I've seen so far.

Since the Bachmann 66 probably won't sell out I wouldn't have ordered it until I got my Hatton's 66 that way you won't regret the decision to buy the Bachy when you get the Hatton's version...just my thoughts and yes we all shop very differently.

I have a fleet of Bachmann 66's in various liveries which I can't see hattons doing such as London Underground so don't want to off load all my Bachmann for the sake of it. I will see how the hattons one stacks up when it arrives and may order more in the future we are after all only at the first tranche of models. £30 isn't a huge amount in the great scheme of things but am trying to reduce my overall spend in the hobby so every little helps.

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium

The funny thing is like Mark I'm trying to be more selective in what I buy but they are actually relatively costly. That's kind of like Bachmanns approach  , lower volumes , higher prices.  , but ironically this is leading me to a Hornby Scotrail HST  and possibly an Accurascale Sound Deltic (if it works on DC otherwise just a normal one), so no Bachmann purchases.

• Like 2

I have a fleet of Bachmann 66's in various liveries which I can't see hattons doing such as London Underground so don't want to off load all my Bachmann for the sake of it. I will see how the hattons one stacks up when it arrives and may order more in the future we are after all only at the first tranche of models. £30 isn't a huge amount in the great scheme of things but am trying to reduce my overall spend in the hobby so every little helps.

Cheers

Mark

Yes I'm on the same page and had far too many Bachmann 66's (I said 9 but it was actually 11) thus sold them all but only getting 4 Hatton's sound fitted 66's to replace them.

Overall I am reducing my stock quite considerably because quite simply I just went mad over the last 4 years so in the process of selling off stock and just having a small fleet of sound fitted loco's only of today's modern image variety...and yes every penny helps considering the expense.

I think its interesting that all those that were encouraging Hattons to bring out an all singing and dancing 37, are now cancelling their Hattons orders for 66s and reverting to Bachmann because its £30 cheaper!  I think there's a lesson there somewhere.  

Isn't it fascinating , all these reasons we have been given over the years for why costs really have to go up  have magically disappeared in the case of the 66 .Bachmann still think its worthwhile bringing out new variants  and presumably can justify production slots at Kader.

That might be the case - but modellers are sometimes fickle. I don't doubt that when the Hatton's 66 breaks cover and is a marvellous model that has many details, and can operate lighting with easy control like the Dapol class 68 - that all these modellers will again cancel their Bachmann ones and re-order the Hattons version. No doubt that 30 kwid difference then becomes excellent value for money and a reason to change back to the Hattons one. This will be more so when the magazines whip up the froth fest and have Bachmann vs Hattons class 66 reviews, including value for money as a main feature with modellers recounting what they think from aspects of the review. Perhaps the 30 kwid saving means more models, especially if your buying 2 as that then becomes a £60 saving and the desire of modellers is often to always get another model.

Personally, while the Bachmann 66 is good and was great for the time the Hatton's 66 could overtake it as the most detailed model of the class and also incorporate a lot of functions that make operation more realistic but also fun to run prototypically. That's why if honest, I will probably join the less is more group and get Hattons 66 to augment by reduced Class 66 collection of Bachmann ones that are rare or have been interesting to get.

...Isn't it fascinating , all these reasons we have been given over the years for why costs really have to go up  have magically disappeared in the case of the 66 .Bachmann still think its worthwhile bringing out new variants  and presumably can justify production slots at Kader.

It's no secret in Bachmann UK's case that Kader are expecting them to raise profitability to match that achieved in other markets. I would be pretty confident that where competition acts in its accustomed style to reduce a price in Bachmann's range, elsewhere in the range where there is no competition the price will increase somewhat more, to hit the overall profit target. (That's how I did it in the face of competitive pressure!)

I think its interesting that all those that were encouraging Hattons to bring out an all singing and dancing 37, are now cancelling their Hattons orders for 66s and reverting to Bachmann because its £30 cheaper!  I think there's a lesson there somewhere... 

First lesson, it's a diverse market, and the chorus isn't singing with one consistent message! 'Wants' range from 'give me the best possible model and I will choke up the cash', to 'I want the best possible model at the inflation adjusted price of 1980s Lima'. Next question, is this going to leave enough opportunity for dealers to find it worthwhile taking the Hornby 66 in sufficient volume to get that produced?

Second, looks like Bachmann have correctly pitched the price differential between 'all singing and dancing' and 'accurate but somewhat less well featured'.

I think Bachmann have realised their 2005 tooling of the 66 isn’t going to fly anymore at £160 ish. It can never be more expensive than the hattons at £150 assuming they don’t cock it up.

So the £125-130 range is where it’s at and that makes sense

Edited by rob D2