Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Class 5 in L&YR lined black is a surprise, as two versions have already been released via the NRM. I'll be interested to see which style this one is. I only got one of the NRM ones so I'm hoping its the other. Make a good excuse for buying it.

I just bought a 2nd L&Y 1008 to do a renumber too.. doh !

I was eagerly checking to see if the smokebox had been extended and a belpaire firebox...but alas.

I just bought a 2nd L&Y 1008 to do a renumber too.. doh !

I was eagerly checking to see if the smokebox had been extended and a belpaire firebox...but alas.

That's my usual trick! I have just finished an A5 tank after about 8 years of on and off tinkering, so I thought that was going to be a dead cert, but it looks like I got away with it! Just looked on Hattons, it's a different style to mine which is a bonus. Not a bad price either. Have they done that version at all so far? I've a feeling that Bachmann isn't too keen with doing new tooling at the moment, probably due to the upheaval of moving home.....

Edited by peteskitchen

• Administrators

Will the newly announces class 20 have lights like the newer ones announced last year?

Looking forward to the class 24/1

Apparently the holdup has been the nose lights which are tricky to do because of the way the chassis is designed. The solution involves not making all of them work (sorry, I can't find notes of the detail) on the basis that the locos run in pairs nose to nose. It's the sort of compromise that gets a model out of the door that might otherwise have not appeared. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Except the C class is not the same running number. Preserved is 592 (as was the first batch), this model carries 583. There will very few out there prepared to renumber a £200 model but it might make a dent in the value of auction site ones. 592 is easy to justify as a preserved loco on many layouts. 583 covers a pre 1912 period. I,m not sure when she was repainted out from full livery to simplified. Will check my notes to see if she is there.

All re-releases will generally have new running numbers. A sensible move.

• Administrators

Are they donating any of the sales proceeds to the new build scheme?

Yes. Bachmann has an impressive track record of donating to preservation schemes. If they model a prototype in preservation, they donate money towards it. We recently filmed a cheque presentation to the SVR for use of Highley as a model. 

• Like 2

Normally yes, especially for an SECR nutcase like me. However three factors fall against her: price, the fact she is not preserved (the previous version was), the fact she is in an era which is not popular (though maybe that is changing). It will be interesting to see if she sells.

I suspect a re-run of 592 would have done equally as well and probably better.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

A post on another thread pointed out that there were just 20 steam classes left with more than 50 survivors in 1957 which have not been produced as RTR... And some of those were minor variations or fairly restricted in their ranges. There are no significant diesel classes left to do in 4mm RTR, and precious few insignificant ones. Just 4 Modernisation Plan electric locos are left to do, and nearly all the major Modernisation Plan DMUs have been announced. All the second generation DMUs have been done; most of the mainline 3rd generation express types have been done

The well is running pretty dry now, so perhaps this (lack of) announcement was inevitable at some point

It may be that the 20 year long "new high-spec RTR" party is drawing to a close

I haven't got convenient access to 1957 records, so I've used 1959, by which time quite a few more locos will have been withdrawn. For the Eastern, North Eastern and Scottish regions alone, I have found 9. B16,K2,J6,J35,J37,J17,J27,J69 and N15. If there are only eleven more for all the other regions, that highlights how badly the East side of the country fares.

The late crest 57XX is an odd one out though, as Bachmann released 5775 in the same livery/condition circa 1999. The product code of the older version is 31-902A.

I presume the reason for the re-release is because it's a preserved example.

• RMweb Gold

Normally yes, especially for an SECR nutcase like me. However three factors fall against her: price, the fact she is not preserved (the previous version was), the fact she is in an era which is not popular (though maybe that is changing). It will be interesting to see if she sells.

I suspect a re-run of 592 would have done equally as well and probably better.

SECR H class sold out, as did the previous reduced lining SECR C class both of which meet all 3 criteria. Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Although I am more heading over to N scale these days with just dipping in to OO now, it is good to see locos with sound/DCC being produced also as plain DCC ready versions as well for those of us who like me wouldn't know a CV code from an aspidistra's backside. 

Hi all,

Firstly, a big thank you to Andy and his colleagues for reporting back from the event today!  Like many, I was watching at 12:00 noon, keen to see what this year onwards holds for us.  Events like this help plan finances for the next year (or two) as well as maybe provide inspiration of a new theme for a future layout?

I was not at all surprised to hear of limited 'new tooling' items but I do think the chance to expand the liveries using toolings already in their range is perfect and well justified.  It disturbs me when a new model is announced, only for one or two liveries or schemes to be released, then none for ages... so full credit to Bachmann in this respect.

Maybe a few surprises in items like the 66, what with Hatton's well advanced model and Hornby's recent range announcement.  That said, I am sure Bachmann were already planning these releases not after Jan 7th this year but more likely during last year, or even the year before.

I am not surprised by the National Power wagon - a chance for the Dapol 59 to provide the drive for a model with a lower investment but potentially multiple sales.  Personally I would have liked a Yeoman based wagon but having seen photos of and other people's positive comments about Dapol's National Power 59, I am not at all surprised by this announcement.  De-branded and DB Schenker also covers the wagons after their National Power life.  Great choice.

Highlights for me - 37521 (Colas), 37669 (WCRC), 47050 (grey), 150115 in original Provincial (I have the Trains4U one too), 46010 (BR blue), Virgin Mk2Fs and a few other items.  Pleased to see another Network Rail coach too.  Oddly, 5551 'The Unknown Warrior' even gets my vote (shhh, I know it's ssssssssteam)!

Maybe a surprise is the quantity of sound fitted models, though I suspect providing both non and sound fitted versions helps spread the production quantity across a wider audience.

One last thought - I saw the pictures of the new crane.  I was only expecting to buy one but now...

Personally, I think Bachmann's announcement today was a good one and a wise one.  It gives a chance to catch up, whilst broadening their current range of products using toolings already invested.  There is plenty of items for me and I am sure many others too.

Cheers,

Ixion.

I wouldn't want to see a release list like this every year as new models are the lifeblood of the hobby, but I for one am happy to see a year of consolidation.

As a Southern modeller we have been fortunate to have been inundated with superb models from many sources, so a gap to catch up with purchases is an opportune chance as far as I am concerned.

Nik

I am not surprised by the National Power wagon - a chance for the Dapol 59 to provide the drive for a model with a lower investment but potentially multiple sales.  Personally I would have liked a Yeoman based wagon but having seen photos of and other people's positive comments about Dapol's National Power 59, I am not at all surprised by this announcement.  De-branded and DB Schenker also covers the wagons after their National Power life.  Great choice.

Its worth mentioning that the wagons aren't really suitable for the National Power years as they are modelled after EWS bought them, which initially meant the new TOPS code of HKA and renumbering. This was followed by fitting new TF25 bogies from 2009 and these are what have been modelled.

Edited by Simon Bendall

• RMweb Premium

Except the C class is not the same running number. Preserved is 592 (as was the first batch), this model carries 583. There will very few out there prepared to renumber a £200 model but it might make a dent in the value of auction site ones. 592 is easy to justify as a preserved loco on many layouts. 583 covers a pre 1912 period. I,m not sure when she was repainted out from full livery to simplified. Will check my notes to see if she is there.

That rather assumes that folk ordered 592 precisely because she has been preserved at the Bluebell.

In reality there are two groups that were interested in the loco - which can of course overlap. The first that want it because its preserved and the second group that want it because of its livery.

There are also some who might well want the livery but not 592 precisely because it is preserved - I admit i was initially one of those but changed my mind shortly before release only to not be able to find one.

Another big factor that may influence the decision is the amount of other SECR locos around which complement it. When 592 was released it was the only model in the ornate SECR livery and not particularly useful in making a SECR themed layout. However over the past year we have seen the H class from Hornby and the P tanks from Hattons, plus of course the Birdcage coaches from Bachmann - all meaning ornately lined C class with a different number has far more potential. Granted good stock is still lacking - but kits exist for some SECR wagons even of a suitable brake van is hard to come by.

Pretty much everything else has had a price increase (Between 2 and 10% it seems)

Some of the prices are eye-watering - the re-release SECR C-Class is £100 more than the others in the price list at £224.95

£450 for a 4-CEP anyone?

Few years ago Hatton's where selling the 4-CEP for £69.00.

• RMweb Premium

Pretty much everything else has had a price increase (Between 2 and 10% it seems)

Some of the prices are eye-watering - the re-release SECR C-Class is £100 more than the others in the price list at £224.95

£450 for a 4-CEP anyone?

One of the downsides of that glorious SECR livery is the amount of Tampo printing needed (the more printing the grater the chance of it going wrong and the body ending up having to be junked). I understand at one stage Hornby were going to omit the red lining on the wheel spokes on their H class to save money - but fortunately wiser councils persuaded them it would totally ruin the model if Hornby left it off.

Some of us have repeatedly made the point on here that it is not the cost of making the individual components or the chassis which is what drives up the cost of RTR models - its the amount of assembly (or printing) that is required to put everything together. Given wage rises in China and the global currency movements since 592 was produced, I can well believe that the new model will be significantly more expensive - which may be why Bachmann have held off from doing it till now.

However even at the new higher price I don't think it will be a model that hangs around for ages on retailers shelves....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

The crane comes with a match truck and runners, but one might expect suitable tool and mess coaches as some time as well to accompany it.  Problem is that these tended to change several times over the life of a crane such as this, so producing a comprehensive set in correct liveries might be an issue.  

One set of the set tool van and Mess coach was made up from some very old LSWR ones still in LSWR brown!

A very good book i would recommend it called, Off the rails, all about the work of the brake down gang on SR/BR.

Edited by darren01

150/2 never wore light blue provincial that the 150/1’s wore.

Theyre introduction livery was the inverse of Provincial 150/1 and without a full yellow end, just a yellow corrider door.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/150-2_unit.jpg - 1986

They ran like this for a few months until a full yellow end was applied. - from late 1986

http://www.traintesting.com/images/150-2_Edinburgh_86.jpg

This livery was later amended to include a grey/ red line “Network north west” branding -from April 1989

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/21723172202

Before further adaption to Regional railways- from 1992

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/40454605431

A final iteration of the original base livery from 1986 appeared, with a green stripe appeared, but i dont think on 150/2’s, post privatisation.

Sorry I misunderstood what "provincial was" and was thinking of the later Sprinter livery with cream executive grey lower bodysides and Running Man logo - this was the livery that has appeared on 150/ but not 150/2 to date.  I realise from photos that the Provincial Blue is what is being released so I was incorrect.

M