Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

If in doubt, paint them maroon, no colour matching issues if one then needs to change them....

John

Easier said than done unfortunately. I’m In New Zealand and proper colour paint is hard to come by here, even in the model shops. To make it worse, UK postage laws don’t allow paint to be sent overseas anymore so it’s very difficult to get hold of it. Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Easier said than done unfortunately. I’m In New Zealand and proper colour paint is hard to come by here, even in the model shops. To make it worse, UK postage laws don’t allow paint to be sent overseas anymore so it’s very difficult to get hold of it.

You can't get black paint?????

So now we have 3 players offering the same liveried Class 66's at three different levels of detail...that's just plain dumb in this market.

Yes Hornby offer the cheap & cheerful version for the lower end but what does the Bachmann 66 offer considering it will probably be the same price or more expensive than the new tooled Hatton's version  :scratchhead:

It's not in fact dumb, it's basic economics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_law

In any case, the new 66s have no doubt been planned for a while, with slots booked.  Would have been plain dumb not to run with them and take a portion of this freshly stimulated market for Class 66s.

• RMweb Premium

My initial impression is that it's been a bit of a damp sqib. I know that Bachmann have supply issues and in that context a year of consolidation seems to be a sensible course to take. However they do have previous for very long lead times between announcement and delivery. If the current planning makes big inroads into those models that have been in the pipeline then that's all to the good but I'm not sure that 'consolidation' is a repeatable strategy.

It's interesting to see narrow gauge to the fore, though as a niche sector the Baguley-Drewery probably won't get as many pulses rating as Hornby's standard gauge Ruston. With my narrow gauge enthusiasts hat on I'd suggest that the sight of the quarry Hunslet on the near horizon would garner more wow factor than the diesel. As has been mentioned before there's a very nice and easy to build kit of the Baguley- Drewery available, whereas the quarry Hunslet is a harder and more intimidating proposition.

Edit: The slate quarry buildings look rather good; I could see them being popular.

However I can see an upside to a very cautious programme of releases. As I type this no one knows what our trading relationship with the rest of the world will look like later this year. It may prove that cautious is a good choice.

I'm also minded to look at what Bachmann already have in their range. It seems to contain a lot of the bread and butter models that we need to portray the everyday railway. It's vans and opens that we buy in multiples; stuff that we expect to be able to buy over the counter without recourse to ordering in advance. Maybe we put a bit too much emphasis on new releases.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 2

I had promised myself  I wouldn't comment and I resisted on the Hornby thread, but, it has to be said...

...that Scenecraft servicing point looks rather tasty.

There. I shall crawl back to other parts of the forum now.

• Like 2

Looking at the price list, if I am correct, the 66's all seem to be around £25 cheaper than last year.

Pretty much everything else has had a price increase (Between 2 and 10% it seems)

Some of the prices are eye-watering - the re-release SECR C-Class is £100 more than the others in the price list at £224.95

£450 for a 4-CEP anyone?

Looks interesting to me, personally I'm pleased there isn't too much new tooling. it will give Bachmann chance to catch up on previously announced models. I wonder if 37012 will carry the Eastfield white stripe.

Alas, no; 37012 appears to be modelled in it's 1985 guise. Although a minor quirk, the extended yellow stripe along the cantrail is pleasing on the eye! Definitely on my watch list...

Looks interesting to me, personally I'm pleased there isn't too much new tooling. it will give Bachmann chance to catch up on previously announced models. I wonder if 37012 will carry the Eastfield white stripe.

As it's in Large Logo blue then no , although i would have preferred the blue with white stripe version 

I got a prediction right! Kind of... very pleased to see a GWR black pannier, and evidence that these haven't been completely dropped in favour of the 64xx.

Quite a lot of useful wagon re-liveries too.

A nice nod to preservation with the unknown warrior and 92212.

I'm pleased the thread has taken a more positive turn! Lots of people were hoping they would consolidate and get already announced products to market and now they haven't made enough announcements? Poor Bachmann just can't win!

Thanks again Andy for the post.

The Southern liveried Sid is a bit of a curveball. Is anyone aware of any context? Or just Bachmann trying to make it fit in with Heljan and Peco products?

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Southern liveried Sid is a bit of a curveball. Is anyone aware of any context? Or just Bachmann trying to make it fit in with Heljan and Peco products?

There seems to be a fair bit of freelancing going on in the OO9 wagon announcements, too.

John

• Like 1

I started a thread on the NG enthusiasts facebook group and it seems Bachmann are doing a bit of imagineering.

E763 would have followed Lyn, the L&B's Baldwin 2-4-2 which was numbered E762 and 'Sid' is a river in Devon. But I'm unaware the L&B ever looked into buying a War Department Baldwin.

• Like 1