Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

Alas, no; 37012 appears to be modelled in it's 1985 guise. Although a minor quirk, the extended yellow stripe along the cantrail is pleasing on the eye! Definitely on my watch list...

When I saw the picture I thought I don't remember it with that livery . . .  but then again . . .  https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwellsjunction/8530287305/in/photolist-dZMXe4-kLNRDg-6LwUAj-Qq4N9C-28UYEzW-CfJ6W8-9fqYtE/

• Like 1

There seems to be a fair bit of freelancing going on in the OO9 wagon announcements, too.

John

Reminds me of the various 0-4-0 locomotives and private owner wagons Hornby made in the 1970's - early 2000's.

Would it have hurt to have a freelance Baldwin in just a plain lined out livery? Quick edit and would have suggested plain black but that's not hard to do with the existing releases.

post-33721-0-69715500-1547479254.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

At least it'll be different from every L&B layout, running Heljan locos, Peco coaches and wagons,

Bu***r :sungum:, I even have Scenecraft Woody Bay building.

Well at least my wagons are kit built long before the Peco range came out and all the buildings will probably be scratchbuilt if Woody bay building is actually smaller than it should be!

A few quick observations for my fellow D&E posse.

Firstly the "Battle of the 66s" - Clearly Bachmann had these planned for some time & licenses agreed for the GBRf varients- could this be the specific cause of the pow wow with Hatton's? Coming from the angle that the Bachmann version is still very good this will be an interesting watch. Some comments have distanced the Hornby 66 from this battle and then immediately contradicted themselves by saying you can get 2 for the price of the Hatton's one therefore directly comparing it on cost!! It is not in the same market place.

Secondly, slightly surprised that the 37 or 47 wasn't retooled. A big clamour on here for this. Understandable from the perspective of the backlog but having had their fingers and various other body parts burnt with the 66 thought that may have been a consideration.

Newly tooled modern Image wagons are now the speciality of Dapol and the New Kids on the Block. Although the NP HKA looks great...Wonder what Dapol think about that?!

Finally as an aside all the big players need to seriously sort their websites out. On both January announcements I ended up here (which is great) because they had either crashed or not even bothered to fanfare their announcements.

The duplication with Hattons and Hornby of the Biffo and large logo class 66s is noteable. Not sure the market will support three of each even with differing specs.

Yeah agreed its an interesting move to say the least.

I’ve ordered the Large Logo 66 and Biffa of the Hatton’s variety and that wont change based on this announcement. I own 20+ of the Bachmann 66 and its a great model, but if Hattons get it right with their offering then they’ll be on to a winner.

Glad to see the Colas 37521 and the WCRC 37, Barry at Widnes Model Centre will be receiving his order shortly!

• Like 1

I started a thread on the NG enthusiasts facebook group and it seems Bachmann are doing a bit of imagineering.

E763 would have followed Lyn, the L&B's Baldwin 2-4-2 which was numbered E762 and 'Sid' is a river in Devon. But I'm unaware the L&B ever looked into buying a War Department Baldwin.

A nice change to history though - if the Southern had kept the line open and found the need to buy in an extra loco for freight purposes to rival road transport...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Happy that 39-175F Mk 1 BG is a NEX in the 92*** number range. Very useful.

Did the higher numbered NEX work much on passenger trains? I remember low numbered ones 920xx and 921xx NEA - with B4 bogies rather than Commonwealths - being common, which is what Bachmann has gone for with the InterCity liveried version.

A nice change to history though - if the Southern had kept the line open and found the need to buy in an extra loco for freight purposes to rival road transport...

Erm, they did feel the need for an extra loco in the mid 20s (when the Baldwins were available cheaply) - but built Lew.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I got a prediction right! Kind of... very pleased to see a GWR black pannier, and evidence that these haven't been completely dropped in favour of the 64xx.

Quite a lot of useful wagon re-liveries too.

A nice nod to preservation with the unknown warrior and 92212.

I'm pleased the thread has taken a more positive turn! Lots of people were hoping they would consolidate and get already announced products to market and now they haven't made enough announcements? Poor Bachmann just can't win!

Thanks again Andy for the post.

The Southern liveried Sid is a bit of a curveball. Is anyone aware of any context? Or just Bachmann trying to make it fit in with Heljan and Peco products?

In preservation 92212 has a br1f tender, not the one modelled.

It is however relevent for the S&D being a Bath example in the early 1960’s, followed by Tyseley and Carnforth giving it SR, GWR and LMR pedigree, its Tyseley residence could make it suitable for Heljans Esso tanks.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting announcements, nowhere near as interesting as Hornby but something for everyone without the wow factor. Bachmann releasing a raft of 66’s? now we have Bachmann, Hornby and Hattons offerings. Bachmann and Hornby both trying to cash in on Hattons 66 announcement.

I do find this attitude that we are not allowed to criticise or have an opinion rather disconcerting. Whilst we (Joe Public) May not be privy to the problems Bachmann have experienced in recent times we should still be allowed an opinion, if not what is the point of RMweb?

• RMweb Gold

Happy that 39-175F Mk 1 BG is a NEX in the 92*** number range. Very useful.

Ive already tried running this combo with Hornbys 87, i am Not sure how it helps, the dark grey on the previous BG releases was too light, but the light grey was good, where as the Oxford mk3’s is about right, but the light grey is too light, if you freeze frame at 24 seconds you’ll see whati mean.

https://youtu.be/OAM3R1vILkk

If they do the NEA like the dark grey of the 90, or to match the mk2f’s it’ll be ok.

Edited by adb968008

It says original so I am hoping for light blue. They were very widespread in this livery so I hope it will be a good seller.

I also model LMS. Maybe we both need to bite the bullet & get our airbrushes out! I certainly need to do this for my plain black stuff because both Bachmann & Hornby seem to believe they won't sell very well & I to be honest, I agree with them.

Well an austerity black Compound probably hasn't sold because I imagine hardly anyone models the wartime LMS so a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy I think.  As for the airbrush, that would be fine, it's all that fiddly lining that'll be the problem.

I think we'll have to lobby one of the retailers to commission one as I'm sure a small red 4-4-0 that got everywhere from Bristol to Scotland working everything from main line expresses to secondary single line services suitable for the smaller layout must be a banker.  I suspect that we've not seen one simply because Bachmann have been through the mill rather than any lack of commercial viability. 

• Like 2

That fictitious Lynton & Barnstaple Rly Southern liveried OO9 Baldwin is clever but not quite clever enough. Had this reply on a thread on the NG Enthusiast's Group of facebook.

After the grouping, the Southern logically numbered its absorbed locos from the west country at the end of the L&SWR series. The Urie N15s finished at E755. The three Plymouth, Devonport & SW Jcn locos were 756, 757 and 758, while the L&B locos took 759-762. The Southern then carried straight on, with the first of the North British-built 'Scotch Arthurs', Sir Bors de Ganis, taking E763. Lew got E188 to fill the gap had been created by shipping one of the O2s to the Isle of Wight. 190 was another from the batch of O2s that went in 1925, and used by the FR for Lyd. Other O2 gaps to choose from (pre 1926) include 205/6/9/10/11/15. But 763 is just wrong.