Taff Vale Coach Brown paint

Folks, I’ve a rake of Branchlines TVR 4-wheelers to build and paint. I intend to finish them in the single colour TVR “brown” livery. The instructions state the TVR used “a purple-brown colour”

Would that be anywhere near to the colour used by the LNWR or would it be like the GWR lake colour or what?

Replies awaited with bated breath.

Tim T

Modlling Cwm Cynon inEM

• RMweb Gold

This is not an easy question to answer and I have had similar problems with my Barry Railway stock. I think it may also be true that descriptions of colour may have changed in meaning over the years. For my locos I have used Precision P428 Caledonian Purple Brown which I found to be similar to the colour the late Dr Charles Donovan painted his engines. However to my eyes this colour is more red than brown. There are some photos of the Barry locos on my Llanforen thread.

You may be able to get some information from the Welsh Railways Research Circle website, I will check it out when I get chance.

At the end of the day it is probably a case of experimenting until you find a colour that you are happy with.

Best of luck,

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I had a thought last night that the Gwili Railway has a preserved TV coach. Nothing on their website but Googling Taff Vale Railway coaches brings up some images, the coach is definitely brown. How accurate it is I can't say.

If you can get to the Cardiff show on the 25th there may be someone there who could help.

Hope this helps and keep us up to date with progress.

Brian

If you can get to the Cardiff show on the 25th there may be someone there who could help

Brian

I’ll be a bit lonely if I go to Llandaff on the Friday, Brian :^)

There is another preserved ex TVR coach, one that is an awful lot closer to me. The Swindon & Cricklade Railway have a restored 1st/2nd composite. Not sure how accurate the colours are, also it’s in the two colour livery

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

If you can get to the Cardiff show on the 25th there may be someone there who could help.

That'll be the Cardiff ( Small) Model Railway Show, 26th of this month.

Two of your potential saviours attending as demonstrators are (1) Julian Wynn of Taff Vale Models, and (2) Graham Tierney of the Cardiff 4mm Group who have built both Aberdare and Ynysybwl, both set in TVR days, circa 1910.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

Folks, I’ve a rake of Branchlines TVR 4-wheelers to build and paint. I intend to finish them in the single colour TVR “brown” livery. The instructions state the TVR used “a purple-brown colour”

Would that be anywhere near to the colour used by the LNWR or would it be like the GWR lake colour or what?

Replies awaited with bated breath.

Tim T

Modlling Cwm Cynon inEM

Liveries of the Pre-Grouping Railways Volume One, Wales and the West of England, shows a colour block for Taff Vale Carriage Brown and gives its specification as Pantone 4625 or British Standard 5252 06 C 40.  It can be seen at  https://www.e-paint.co.uk/bs5252_colour_chart.asp although they do say web colours are unreliable and you should buy the chart!  I'd rather buy the book!

Tony

Liveries of the Pre-Grouping Railways Volume One, Wales and the West of England, shows a colour block for Taff Vale Carriage Brown and gives its specification as Pantone 4625 or British Standard 5252 06 C 40.

Pantone 4625 is r79 g44 b29, and BS5252 06 C 40 is  r92 g71 b66. I can't quite believe any book could regard them as the same colour.

post-133-0-22957400-1547309054.png

• RMweb Gold

Background; Years ago I had the good fortune to be able to talk more than once to the late HT Hobbs and Jack Slinn about things TVR. The later loaned me samples which he had matched with the TVR master samples held at that date at Swindon. I matched this and the result is that Caledonian Railway Valance & Frames Purple Brown is the colour! There is a Caledonian Railway Coach colour apparently of a similar name but that is not right for the TVR  :no: . Obviously in all cases paints age with time and sun etc. 

If you ever go for the two colour livery there is a trap: the top of coaches were painted white BUT that was "over painted" with several layers of varnish which changed the colour towards what I've heard described as "light primrose". Dr East did a good article on this some years ago. In addition the varnish aged markedly darker and I have heard it suggested that some photos appearing to show one colour are actually 2. A similar effect can be seen on the LNWR Royal coaches at York; painted white, not necessarily the same white as TVR,  and then varnished.

What are you going to do for lettering on your models?

Regards

Basil

TVR Superintendent WRRC

What are you going to do for lettering on your models?

Regards

Basil

TVR Superintendent WRRC

Basil, if I have interpreted Great Western Way correctly the all brown workmens coaches had plain unshaded yellow lettering. Therefore I can attempt to print my own, phew!

Tim T

P.S. paint ordered, thanks for the link!

Edited by timbowilts

For comparison:—

post-26141-0-27805700-1547471398_thumb.jpgpost-26141-0-40741500-1547471494_thumb.jpg

Natural daylight, no flash. Slightly Photoshopped to get a better match between my screen & the Pantone book.

If you wanted to mix your own, to my eye Pantone's notion of "Warm Red" pretty much aligns with Precision's B.R. Orange lining.

Pete S.

• Like 1

Basil, if I have interpreted Great Western Way correctly the all brown workmens coaches had plain unshaded yellow lettering. Therefore I can attempt to print my own, phew!

Tim T

P.S. paint ordered, thanks for the link!

Paint arrived this morning! excellent service by Rainbow Railways (and Royal Mail!)

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

Paint arrived this morning! excellent service by Rainbow Railways (and Royal Mail!)

How much did RR charge for postage? Been trying to find a supplier of Phoenix paints who isn't charging double the price of a tinlet in postage/courier fees.

How much did RR charge for postage? Been trying to find a supplier of Phoenix paints who isn't charging double the price of a tinlet in postage/courier fees.

They charged £3.00 for three tins of paint

Tim T