MRJ 268

Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Premium

Ditto. Midland on the front cover - what's not to like?

Gerry Beale's article on improving the Oxford Great Western diagram AA3 brake van  is very timely, as it gives me something to copy... I just wish he'd taken more photos along the way, e.g. of his modifications to the interior/sandbox unit and the cabin/verandah partition.

I thought the idea of a 3D-printed metal chimney would be that it would be a boon to those without access to a lathe but apparently not.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

A good issue I think, in stock here in Bath and available on my Titfield website at:

http://titfield.co.uk/Wild-Swan/MRJ-Journal.htm

For what it is worth this is my brief summary of what's inside:

Edited by Gerry Beale, musing on what makes us model what we model and the joys of catholic taste. Main layouts featured are both Midland, Robin Whittle's epic P4 rendition of Bristol Barrow Road shed and a wonderful 7mm model railway depicting the Midland 100 years or so ago. Nothing so unusual about that you might think except that it is in the Antipodes and built by a genuine Australian gent. Actually I think it is a type of model railway which we in the UK have sort of forgotten about as we all apparently strive for ever more accurate renditions of "scale" - some of us apparently believing that only models of real places are "proper" models. What utter tosh sez I, Graeme Lewis, his wonderful writing and his layout are all real breaths of fresh air, so thank you and well done Graeme. Having upset everyone, the rest of this issue contains more stock by Gerry himself, Mark Humphries finessing a Pannier chimney, Rodney Cooper building a stylish DMU, John Darch doing a large Prairie, a superb bit of the old Talyllyn from Peter Kazer and an obituary to the incredibly talented Stewart Hine. And letters, one being illustrated with a very fine bit of North American modelling by my highly talented friend Dave Easto. As Bill Smarme has so often sung, there is nothing like a Dave...

And to add a bit of value, here is one of the pictures of Dave's model:

post-19301-0-13518300-1547303444.jpg

And not adding much value at all, here's when Bill Smarme came in to the shop....

post-19301-0-50709200-1547304007.jpg

Simon

• Like 10

Nice!

Canals and Railways on the front cover.  I'll know what to look out for when I drop into the purveyors next week.

The only problem I have with canals on model railways is that they're generally too narrow and the bends are too tight. Oh, and the water is too clean, as is the towpath....

• RMweb Premium

Looks good for spotting typos if the contents cannot be correct.

As usual on sale before the subscription copies are delivered!

Paul

I used to be a Grauniad decipherer - these things can have a certain charm.

Subscription copies (at least two) have arrived today - did Te Titfield Tunderbolt have it on sale before subscription copies were put in the post?

• RMweb Gold

As usual on sale before the subscription copies are delivered!

Paul

For the sake of pedantic completeness, scheduled date from MRJ 267 was 17 Jan 2019, my subs copy arrived today, and there were no copies of 268 in WHS Didcot at noon today.

So it’s actually arrived early. Which in some ways is vaguely disconcerting....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You may have to explain a bit more about Bill Smarme, Simon!

All rather splendid.

Bill Smarme, Twerton's most famous son:

Think Lee Marvin, "I was born under a wandering star"

I was bor-r-n in the Twerton Spa

Pilchards was me shelf mates, custard was me pal

in between the toilet rolls,

The Andrex and Izal...

Pure class..

Viva Las Vegas = Viva Lyme Regis

http://www.billsmarme.com/

And what's more, Mickey Tenfingers is good friends with Crispin Denny, so there is even a model railway connection!

And nobody's mentioned f*cking WH Smith yet, oh wait a minute....

Simon

post-19301-0-40638100-1547308510.jpg

Not a busy day in the shop, can you tell....?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And nobody's mentioned f*cking WH Smith yet, oh wait a minute....

In my defence, that wasn’t what I went in to do - it’s just that in Didcot the Post Office is in the back of the store and I had a parcel to send... Edited by Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold

In my defence, that wasn’t what I went in to do - it’s just that in Didcot the Post Office is in the back of the store and I had a parcel to send...

Ooooops!

Sorry Zero, that was aimed at me, not you.

Must pay more attention, apologies again!!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Ooooops!

Sorry Zero, that was aimed at me, not you.

Must pay more attention, apologies again!!

Simon

Absolutely no need to apologise :-). It’s just that my inner self just couldn’t pass over such a splendid opportunity for some innuendo-based humour...

"MRJ"  The Grauniad of Model Railway Publishing. My Type of mag.

Espeshully when it rankles those that rigidly subscribe to other points of view. e.g.

some of us apparently believing that only models of real places are "proper" models. 

P

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

For the sake of pedantic completeness, scheduled date from MRJ 267 was 17 Jan 2019, my subs copy arrived today, and there were no copies of 268 in WHS Didcot at noon today.

So it’s actually arrived early. Which in some ways is vaguely disconcerting....

Given the usual comments (not from me !) about the relationship between the advertised publication date, and the date on which it appears, I think congratulations are in order to all concerned in getting this one out ahead of time.

I shall await the postman's missed delivery card with whetted appetite.

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Given the usual comments (not from me !) about the relationship between the advertised publication date, and the date on which it appears, I think congratulations are in order to all concerned in getting this one out ahead of time.

I shall await the postman's missed delivery card with whetted appetite.

Adrian

And postman managed to squeeze the envelope through the letter box this morning.

Adrian

And postman managed to squeeze the envelope through the letter box this morning.

Adrian

So did mine.  He bound it with several other envelopes, all of which were folded to fit through the letter box.  I shall cherish the elastic band which held it all together.

Chris

Got my subscription today. The article on upgrading the oxford "toad" is very timely as I picked one up at the Peterborough show with the intention of doing just this (although for 1929-34 I guess I don't need to change the step-board unless they all got changed when the plated sides were done). Having read through it there does seem to be enough detail to follow what was done and how. Taking the end windows down to the plank join was a neat idea that I might (probably) have not thought of. Then I can retire my boyhood ratio cut and shut that doesn't even have separate handrails.

I feel for John Darch, having spent all that effort and ingenuity upgrading the old Airfix GWR prairie only for Hornby to announce a new one on the way later this year.   

I received my subscription copy yesterday.  There were two address labels on the envelope, one partially covering the other.

I contacted Cygnet and was told it was not a problem.  The first run of placing the labels on envelopes went wrong and they decided to rerun the whole run, reusing the envelopes.  The labels couldn't be removed so they just stuck new labels over the old ones.  As far as Cygent are aware, there are no missing subscription copies.

Apart from that, what a great issue.

Tom