NYMR early pictures

Trev52A

It's something remarkable that all items of stock in the Q6's train are still on the line: the loco itself (now operational), the Thompson CL (due to be overhauled shortly after a decade out of use), the Thompson CK (somewhere near the top of the restoration list for the LNERCA) and the H&B coach (the H&BR Rolling Stock Trust are quietly beavering away at the restoration of this coach). 

Pretty rare that I think? Most bits of stock from the early days of our larger preserved lines always seem to drift away...

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures

Had line been singled between grosmont and goathland by 1970.

I remember walking with my grandad around this time at Pickering and the line to Rillington was still in

Great pictures

Had line been singled between grosmont and goathland by 1970.

I remember walking with my grandad around this time at Pickering and the line to Rillington was still in

I'm pretty sure it had been singled by then.  It certainly was single by 1971 - it will appear in a picture I will be uploading shortly taken at Water Ark.

Trevor

• Like 1

Excellent Trevor

Wasn't aware there was ever any road access to the area behind the water tower

It was an access road at one time for road collection from the stone crusher.  It's not in the best condition now, part of the track has slipped and since the Duchy of Lancaster kindly change the drainage pattern on the moor above the station its very wet and more vanishes every year.

We have however had a universal carrier up it 3 years ago at war weekend.

• Like 1

Terrific pictures - thanks Trevor. Brings back some great memories.

As a youngster I remember taking the train from Goathland to Whitby. This involved a shuttle service from Whitby.  After arrival from Whitby, the loco then shunted the coaches into the up sidings at Goathland where the guard held them on the brake. The loco then retired to the up platform to allow the coaches to use gravity to run out on to the up line. The loco would then couple up to the down end and set back beyond the road bridge prior to running over the crossover into the down platform ready for it's departure to Grosmont and Whitby.

A few years later, I remember sitting on the moor just outside Goathland having a picnic with my family and Mirvale suddenly appeared with one of the Thompson coaches - I was awe-struck! I immediately joined the NYMR  (or was it the NYMHRT in those days?) and got membership number 49.

After the 63395 and no. 29 arrived, I managed to blag a cab ride on the Q6 from Grosmont to Summit (when this was the end of the line) but was booted off the footplate by an ex-Army type (Major ??) who was apparently running the Loco department(?) at the time. The crew took pity on me though and after a quick scramble along the ballast, I was back on the 'plate for the ride back to Grosmont!!

Regrettably after a couple years I let the membership lapse and when I renewed it many years later I got number M3071 - see what women and beer can do for you!!

• Like 1

It seems our paths are crossing yet again, Trevor!

Here's a few photos I took on 31st October 1970 whilst visiting the NYMR as a member of the Newcastle University Railway Society.  The railway was not open to the public at that time and only members could travel on it.  I was not a member of the NYMR but the NURS was affiliated so we all piled on board regardless. 

post-13986-0-59093700-1547492256_thumb.jpg

post-13986-0-65866300-1547492271_thumb.jpg

post-13986-0-42633400-1547492291_thumb.jpg

post-13986-0-13989200-1547492355.jpg

post-13986-0-67164000-1547492406.jpg 

The first two shots are taken at Goathland whilst the rest are taken on the return journey uphill from Grosmont.  It was a damp day and the Q6 slipped to a halt on several occasions.  In the third photo the chaps on the track are hand sanding the loco.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 17

On another occasion the NYMR wanted to use the NURS's locomotive to move one of the Lambton tanks from Goathland to Grosmont.  This was Locomotive No. 3 of the Wallsend Slipway (E, Borrows works no.37 of 1898) an oil-fired 0-4-0 WT.

Us lads set off from Goathland with the dead Lambton tank in tow under the auspices of an elderly gentlemen who, I was led to understand, was a BR employee of some standing, possibly an inspector.  I say "elderly" for, when you are 18 years old, most people are "elderly" - just like I am now.  Some of us traveled on the 0-4-0 whilst the rest, including me, were on the Lambton tank.

We arrived in Grosmont without any mishap, did a bit of shunting, then set off back up to Goathland with all of us in the cab of the 0-4-0.  We had gone a fair way when the chap in charge realised that we had not replenished our water tank whilst at Grosmont and the water level was getting rather low.  We didn't have enough to make it to Goathland so what to do?  Our leader decided that we should turn off the oil supply (good job we weren't coal-fired) and coast back down to Grosmont.  The only trouble was that there was a PW vehicle following us up so we were all asked to keep a sharp lookout especially on the curves.  We set off.  Somewhere round about Beck Hole we met the PW vehicle coming the other way so we slammed our brakes on.  However the chaps in the PW vehicle thought we were a runaway and lept off their vehicle and rolled down the bank.  Fortunately one of their number had the presence of mind to slam his brakes on before jumping.

Fortunately no one was hurt although the lads in the PW vehicle probably needed a change of underwear!

Sometime later I was asked to fill in a report giving my version of events but I never heard any more so don't know what happened, if anything.

And here she is, Wallsend Slipway No. 3 at Goathland.

post-13986-0-01894500-1547494993_thumb.jpg

Chris Turnbull

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

I've now reached August 1971...

post-24907-0-41589600-1547640486_thumb.jpg

The Q6 shunting at Goathland on 14th August 1971

post-24907-0-29066100-1547640565_thumb.jpg

There was an earlier query about when the line was singled from Grosmont to Goathland - here's the Q6 heading downhill on that section at Water Ark on 28th August 1971

post-24907-0-30969500-1547641460_thumb.jpg

Now this view certainly HAS changed! The Q6 is seen from the top of Grosmont tunnel before significant construction work, still showing Deviation Cottages and the signal box on 28th August 1971

post-24907-0-00852600-1547640853_thumb.jpg

No 5 blasts away from Grosmont on 28th August 1971. Any RMwebbers in this shot? (The first coach appears to have the wording 'NYMR 5')

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Deviation Cottages are long gone - it's the MPD now!

Chris Turnbull - do you recall Mike Henderson from the NURS?  A good friend of mine.

I may well be in one of those photos.  We used to go every chance we got, as members we could ride!  I did get a run upon the footplate once, better not say who with.  Several friends were involved back then, and my now bestie and boss was a fireman and also owner of Ugly 62 when she briefly was there.  Sold to buy into Taw Valley.

As an NELPG member at the time, for me the highlinght of 1971 was the arrival on the line of Class P3 0-6-0 No 2392 (ex-BR Class J27 No 65894) in October.

post-24907-0-93684500-1547727439_thumb.jpg

Shortly after arrival the P3 had its first run on the NYMR on 23rd October 1971, seen here leaving Grosmont tunnel with a mixed train in tow, including the NELPG's stores van. I believe this was an ex-Great Central Railway fish van - hopefully someone can confirm or otherwise

post-24907-0-75247200-1547727533_thumb.jpg

Both NELPG locos were alongside each other at Grosmont station on 30th October 1971, seen here from the platform...

post-24907-0-16402800-1547727660_thumb.jpg

.. and again from the handy signal gantry just south of the level crossing, with the Q6 on the left and the P3 on the right

post-24907-0-38940000-1547727831_thumb.jpg

Later that day the P3 starts the 1 ln 49 climb up to Goathland with a 'special' for NELPG members

post-24907-0-17813500-1547727998_thumb.jpg

As part of the NELPG's fifth anniversary celebrations that year their two locos were in action on 20th November 1971 - here the Q6 climbs through the snow near Esk Valley

post-24907-0-00716200-1547729051_thumb.jpg

..and returns to Grosmont a the head of a demonstration goods train which includes the Borrows WT No 3

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 19