NYMR early pictures

Trev52A

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, russ p said:

The high bunker was done there .

The loco never really entered proper traffic, just used for goathland shuttles on galas.

What happened to it?

I remember seeing it at Pickering on numerous occasions. There were times in '82 and '83 when it was the NYMR's only serviceable steam engine.

It is now at Sellindge having been loaned by its owner the National Coal Mining Museum to the abortive scheme to reopen the Folkestone Harbour line. If restoration is still proceeding - and I'm not sure whether it is or not - then given the involvement of Mike Hart I should think that its eventual destination will be either Elsecar or Tenterden.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

I was a volunteer on the railway in the early 80s but can't recall it being very active

It didn't last very long, and by 1984 was completely worn out. Last time I saw it in steam was at the '84 spring gala, trundling back and forth at Grosmont with a single brake van in tow.

• Informative/Useful 2

What an absolutely brilliant thread! 

I don't remember much about the NYMR from before about 1984 (see below photo for why!) but a lot of the locos and stock are more than familiar to me, some thankfully still! 

Once I get chance I'll have a look through my photo archive, and see what I've got to share, probably mostly my dad's photos, as I didn't start wielding a camera until the early 90s, and it took a while before there was anything worth sharing! 

For now though, here's a very young me at Goathland sometime around 1984, making sure everything is ship shape with the approaching train! 

FB_IMG_1546450948348.jpg.6402df8c459f30135eb648a3015e3148.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 5