Oxford Rail 2019 speculation

Haven't Hornby just announced a run of HST Mk3s in the livery requested? It would be exceptionally silly for Oxford to go head to head with Hornby... again.

Since there hasn't been a 2019 Oxford speculation thread, I'll start the guessing game:

LNER Quad-Art Coaches

An LNER area 0-6-0 of some description

L&YR 27 Class 0-6-0

Come on Oxford, give us something to be excited about! Last year's announcement was frankly underwhelming especially for a new company struggling to establish itself. Still, I think the N7 might be a game-changer. A well detailed model with no *glaring* errors and for a reasonable price point. I can definitely see a niche for Oxford in tackling subjects that the bigger manufacturers might shy away from.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Haven't Hornby just announced a run of HST Mk3s in the livery requested? It would be exceptionally silly for Oxford to go head to head with Hornby... again.

The Hornby releases (some train sets / packs excepted) are modernised Mk3s fitted with retention tanks and automatic doors! Such coaches are NOT suitable to represent anything other than the short GWR / Scotrail services or the Cross country HST rake.

They are totally useless for anyone wanting to model the 9 coach GWR HST services in the pre 800 era say.

Thus a release of slam door fitted Mk3s in GWR, etc livery would not be competing with anybody!

Edited by phil-b259

It could be an LMS loco. Their first locomotive releases have been GWR Dean Goods, SR Radial, LNER N7, so something from the LMS is only fair I'd say. Maybe a new 2P? 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 1

The Hornby releases (some train sets / packs excepted) are modernised Mk3s fitted with retention tanks and automatic doors! Such coaches are NOT suitable to represent anything other than the short GWR / Scotrail services or the Cross country HST rake.

They are totally useless for anyone wanting to model the 9 coach GWR HST services in the pre 800 era say.

Thus a release of slam door fitted Mk3s in GWR, etc livery would not be competing with anybody!

What point are you trying to convey in your post?

The ex-VTEC/LNER ones announced by Hornby are not the Mk.3 sliding-door variant. If Oxford announce those, that will be unnecessary duplication. No one has mentioned GWR either. The OP asked for FGW coaches. GWR and FGW are two separate TOCs

The opening pitch for Oxford Rail included 'planned full range'. Hopefully we will see some progress toward that. Obvious observations would be: Mk3 coaches, no suitable traction, pre-group Scottish wagon design, no suitable traction or brake van, Radial and N7 tanks, none of the passenger stock that both were best known for operating with. It's only the Dean goods with GW design brake van, and a small assortment of steam era wagons in the range, from which an 'all Oxford Rail train' might be formed.

It could be an LMS loco...

Among steam locos that would seem likely to complete a 'round' of the big four. All the numerous BR standard classes have models, but there's a slew of pretty numerous pregroup classes that finished up on the LMS going begging, (and there are a couple of significant classes that were the LMS' own designs lacking models come to that). I would tend toward a tank engine on past form (difficult to find any virgin territory on the GWR, thus the pick of an 0-6-0 with only a very dated model) and a Caley 0-4-4T looks like an open goal to me. Wonderful pre-group livery, numerous and long lived with a degree of celebrity. (Much the same applies to the very successful LT&SR 4-4-2T designs, which continued to be built by the LMS, but their erstwhile fame does seem to have faded somewhat.)

• RMweb Premium

What point are you trying to convey in your post?

The ex-VTEC/LNER ones announced by Hornby are not the Mk.3 sliding-door variant. If Oxford announce those, that will be unnecessary duplication. No one has mentioned GWR either. The OP asked for FGW coaches. GWR and FGW are two separate TOCs

From the pictures (which I grant you are not necessarily 100% accurate) the VTEC/ LNER Ml1s are of the previous 'Railroad esque tooling - no close coupling mechanism for example. This compares with the new tooling developed by Hornby for the sliding door fitted Ml3s which do seem to have a CCM arm mounted on the body and more underframe detail at the ends.

Compare https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/new-for-2019-coaches/lner-mk3-trailer-first-open-tfo-41120-era-11.html and https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/new-for-2019-coaches/scotrail-mk3-sliding-door-ts-era-11-c8c8ec.html

Therefore Oxford could quite easily issues a 'super detailed' Slam door Mk3 in VTECC / LNER livery and not be in direct competition with Hornbys 2019 range.

Oxford rail have now 4-5-6 & 7 plank wagons, think they are comming with an 8 plank now, because Bachmann's 2019 releases of them ar now 21.21 pound discount price.

So Oxford rail can make lots of money with them, if they sell it for 11,- -12,- pound, and the detailed underframes of all those wagons are much better than Bachmann's.

Maybe a 1or 3 plank too, could also make money.

Maybe a goods van and an small LMS tender or tank engine that will be under 100,- pounds.

and more livery's of existing models. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at previous years random announcements, my guess would be a Liverpool and Manchester Railway open passenger coach, Tinsleys load bank B1 Tender, weathered and a new Railway Operating Group class 93.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

And would provide the needed coaches to expand the Hornby GWR set!

• RMweb Gold

It could be an LMS loco. Their first locomotive releases have been GWR Dean Goods, SR Radial, LNER N7, so something from the LMS is only fair I'd say. Maybe a new 2P? 

A Johnson 2F 0-6-0 or a Stanier 2-6-2T please.

The Johnson 2F could be as big a minefield as the Dean Goods due to its life of over 80 years. so they may wish to steer clear.

The Stanier 2-6-2T on the other hand shares the same wheel sizes and spacings as the previous Fowler version.  Start with the standard boiler Stanier with dome and topfeed, then continue with combined dome/topfeed, domeless. and the larger boiler carried by four locos. For the Fowler you have the standard boiler, with and without Pull-Push gear and 20 conderser fitted locos.

The Fowler locos were built between 1930 and 1932, originally carrying number 15500 - 15569 then being renumbered 1 - 70. Going into BR they got mixed traffic livery early/late, but on the way some were plain black with BRITISH RAILWAYS and at least 40070 had the BR number applied to its LMS livery in LMS-style figures. 

Stanier locos numbered 71 - 209 were added from 1935 to 1938.

As far as distribution is concerned, between them they got virtually everywhere that the LMS reached, with pictures in London including the Widened Lines, Hither Green and Clapham Junction, Bath Green Park, Bristol, Swansea, North Wales, Leeds and the far north of Scotland.

So we end up with at least seven potential body variations and plenty of potential liveries across a group of 209 locos with a life span of 25 - 32 years and a wide operating area.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Maybe a 1or 3 plank too, could also make money.

Maybe a goods van and an small LMS tender or tank engine that will be under 100,- pounds.

and more livery's of existing models. 

They sometimes seem to have gone a bit quirky so how about a GWR 51/2 plank Open on a decent 10' underframe and a 'Reverse' Stanier brake van like the one at NRM.

They should also be able to knock spots off Bachmann's LMS 10T van. and BR cousin. Clasp brake, push brake and unfitted options available to go at, so plenty of scope including Army livery. I'll take six assorted in BR 1950s state to pension off my Ratio/Airfix/Dapol hybrids. Meanwhile I'll leave the stash of Parkside chassis where they are.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I rather think the steam is running out of the Oxford Railway range, wouldn’t be surprised if no new announcements. Last year was a bit of a disappointment not being a fan of big guns. Not exactly mainstream.Also, although not as lengthy as Bachmann there development times are fairly long .

I’d be more interested in Hattons

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1